Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Dumped

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:23 AM in Chronic Pain
I was dismissed from PT. My therapist told me around a week ago that my progress was zero. Gee, not even a tiny bit? They discharge you after a 30 day evaluation due to insurance reasons- you don't improve, they don't pay.
I'm not going to lie just to stay on. I gave it my best. I haven't gotten better like my surgeon hoped for. Then I started having sciatica in the opposite leg recently. I don't know what they will do. The last time I called, I got the feeling they wanted PM to deal with it. I think I may need an MRI, but unfortunately that's not for me to decide. I just have a feeling something else is amiss. But for now I feel like a failure.
advertisement

Comments

• I was over half way through with my PT and was having more pain than when I started it so I have quit for the time being. I may call and ask if they could go easy on the exersises and more on the massage therapy. I think they were pushing me to hard and they also didn't stand and watch to make sure I was doing the excersises correctly. They just bounced from person to person. I guess that's how they make their money, getting as many people in at the same time as they can.
  • Sorry it didn't go well for you. If you have dismiss yourself, that's pretty bad. I had a better therapist last year, and they showed you the exercises first.
    They will push you because they need a favorable report so they can get payed. That is just the reality of it. But there are good therapists out there that truly care, and are careful not to hurt you.
    Are you worried about what the doc is going to say about you leaving? I would call him and let him know before they do.
    Meanwhile, I'll do what I can at home.
  • advertisement
  • My doctor knows. I just didn't feel it was doing any good and why waste everyones time. My doctor also sent me to a nutristionist (sp) which was a waste of time and money. The poor woman didn't even know what she was supposed to do with me so we just went over the 4 basic food groups. Silly in my opinion.
  • Are you kidding me :jawdrop: What is she going to do for you. Is this a new alternative treatment? And worst of all, you have to pay. Incredible.
    I know we have to watch our weight so our back pain doesn't worsen or something. And eat healthy. But we don't need a nutritionist for our back problems. If people want to do it, fine, that's their prerogative. But if you are like me, buried up to the eyeballs in medical bills, I don't have the money for such a silly thing either.
    How many sessions do you have to go thru?
  • I'm sorry it didn't work for you. :( But please don't feel like you're a failure. You did what you were supposed to and yet it just didn't work. That's not a reflection on you though. Maybe in light of this you will get an MRI and something will raise a red flag on it.
    I'm done next week and I've made little if any progress. Even if I were doing better, due to insurance limits I wouldn't be able to continue on. I'm maxed out on visits for the year and I don't know what will happen now.
  • advertisement
  • I told them that my Insurance didn't cover it but went for one session just to make my doctor happy. They charge $135.00 per hour. I am not overwieght. 5'4" 117lbs. I know how to eat and cook healthy, but the problem I am having right now is I can't stand long enough to cook a nutritional meal and when the pain is a 10 I don't have much of an appetite. CRAZY> 8}
  • Sorry it didn't work for you either. I really went in to it with a positive attitude but even my Mom who was visiting said she noticed that I was getting worse. They were just young kids and although they were very nice, I didn't get the feeling they were taking me serious.

I have had an MRI of my Thorasic spine and am now waiting to get one of my cervical spine and after that they will try an epidural. Meanwhile I am struggling with about a constant 7 or 8 on the pain level. No meds.
  • freaking nuts suziee! I'd ask your doc next time what benefit this nutritionist would provide for your back pain. Wow!! I just do not get that at all.
  • Suzie, You are perfectly within your weight range. I'm jealous :) A lot of us pack the pounds. I put on 15 lbs from when I hurt my back last year. And the steroids and ESI's didn't help for sure. You're fine; who the hell can stand up and cook with a high pain level? Many a night my husband had to because I was bedridden. I would burn that $135 bill, ridiculous

Angela, thank you for your encouragement. Keep with the PT as long as you can if it's beneficial for you. I too have a limit and I wouldn't want to pay out of pocket for that.
    I guess the question for us is what's next.
  • He had some silly excuse about me being to thin to carry the weight of my back. B.S. I have been thinner, alot thinner and have never had back problems. That's why I feel he was just grasping at straws. The reason he wanted me to go to PT was to build up the muscles in my back. That to me was silly as well since I have always had a very physical job and never had back issues. I can buy in to the stretching exercises because I am not very limber but the rest I don't buy in to.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.