Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Fighting Fentanyl!...God help me!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Pain Medications
Hi all, my name is Lorraine, I am 44 and have been suffering with unexplained back pain for a few years. In January of this year after a short stay in hospital my back pain became so severe that I was unable to even clean myself after the toilet. Having tried a few tablets my Dr prescribed Fentantyl Patches. That was some nine months ago now, yes they have helped with the pain, they are great as far as that is concered, but now my friends I find myself in a situation that I would never of dreamed of, I have become dependant on the patches, completly! Me, I've never smoked or drunk and nver dabbled in anything that I was not supposed to put in my body, yet, now I have been reffered to my local drug re-abilitation centre and may now be treated with Methadone to free me from Fentatnyl. This medicne has ruined my life!! I feel suicidal at times because I feel so low with it all. I am now on 50mcgs per hour and change the patch every 30-36 hours depending on how bad the withdrawels become. Sometimes I have felt as if I am dying. I wish I could just rip the patch off and go cold turkey but I know I would not be able to withstand the withdrewels. The thing is, even, now, they do not have a proper diagnosis of my back problem!?! I was just sent away with the patch, reffered to a pain clinic which it took 7 months before I was seen which by this time I was already dependant on the patches. I feel I have been neglected and just left to get on with thigs by myself, I have spent the best part of 90% of my time laying down because I feel so unwell all of the time. I just hope to god the drug people can help me but I am so scared to go onto Methadone....I am in tears here, I just can't think straight, 27 hours since last changed the patch and already I feel nauseus and sweating....any advice please? Has anyone here managed to come free of Fentatnyl?....Please help? Love Lorraine x
advertisement

Comments

• LollyHope said:
    Hi all, my name is Lorraine, I am 44 and have been suffering with unexplained back pain for a few years. x
    Hi Lorraine and welcome to the forum,
    First off, I see two seperate issues here. #1 is your "unexplained" back pain and #2 is your dependance on the pain med. I think in order to help with the one you need help with the other. So.....my first question is have you had an MRI? Seen a neurosurgeon, orthopedic surgeon? I would suggest that you first try to get a diagnosis of the back problem and then when you have a plan on how to address that pain (surgery maybe?) you work on getting off the pain meds. Seems to me if you get off the pain meds first and then still have the back pain you will not be able to deal with the back pain.

Of course I am not a medical expert and my opinions are just that "my opinions" but I wish you a lot of luck and I hope that you will be able to get help with both problems.

LJ
  • Hi there, thank you for yur reply. Yes, this is an issue I have brought up with the pain clinic and nothing seems to get done and I have to wait ages to see anyone, I have'nt seen my consultant since July and have received no further appointment! They say they will deal with pain when I am off med's?....So despondent, I feel I need to make a complaint about my treatemnet but do not have the energy at this time. I have no idea what the pain will be like without the meds but at this time how I fel now I would welcome the pain with open arms! Just need to get off these patches, I had a better quality of life with the pain. I feel this is a case of neglect but what can I do when I am so unwell? Just so scared of being put on Methadone, but, if that is the only way to get off these then I have no choice, feel so alone.....Lorraine x
  • advertisement
  • Welcome to Spine Health. LJ is right, the fact that you have not been properly diagnosed looms large. For a person to be detoxed off of pain meds without having resolution to the original source of pain, is at times, a set up for failure. The doc that did my detox would not have done it without knowing the source of my pain was removed. He was adamant about the fact that in his opinion and experience, the odds are not good when trying to detox a person without addressing the source of pain.

What kind of program are you being referred too? What kind of treatment plan do they have you on? Are you aware that there's a difference between dependence and addiction?

Hang in there and drop in here anytime you need to scream, holler, cry or chat.

"C"
  • Hi there C, this is the thing, no one seems to be clear on any issue to do with my dependency/addiction or my back pain?....I just can't fight them, I have tried all I can and I'm just not being heard! They are neglecting me, I know this but I am powerless in my treatment! I am now referred to a local drug reabilitation centre to start detox via Methadone, they say when I am clear of Fentanyl then, and only then, will they work with me on my pain? I am thinking of contacting my local MP and starting to make a complaint but I am so unwell. I am an anxious person and they say I make things worse because of my anxiety, well, yes, I guess I do, but I am anxious because of the situation I am in and the lack of care I am receiving....I am only human after all, anyone would be anxious and depressed in the same situatuion.
  • Are you aware that Methadone is also used in pain relief? So even though they may be taking you off of the Fentynal, that you should get pain relief from the Methadone.

What country are you in? Some of the terms you are using, I am not familiar with.

Who made the decision and why, for you to get off of the Fentynal? I understand that you said you had a better life with pain, but what was the driving factor? Just asking these questions, in order to get a better handle on what's going on.

"C"
  • advertisement
  • Sorry C, MP is for member of parliment. I was the one who decided I needed to get off of Fentanyl, mainly because I just can't stand the withdrawels and being so dependent on them! Methadone is used for treatment?...I did'nt know that, I guess there is alot of stigma attatched to the drig! I am worried that I will feel high on mehtadone or soemthing like that....so confuesed, I am not making much sense I guess, sorry!
  • "Methadone is a narcotic pain reliever, similar to morphine. It also reduces withdrawal symptoms in people addicted to heroin or other narcotic drugs without causing the "high" associated with the drug addiction."

There are many Spine Health members who are using methadone as their primary pain management drug. I'm sure once they log on they will contribute to your thread and help explain it better.

"C"
  • I used fentanyl for a few months and it made me crazy litteraly. I could not handle the effects of the patch, I was always on the edge for no reason and always mad for nothing. My body just did not like the side effects.

What other medication are you taking with pain meds. like a nerve med, lyrica or neurotin, or muscle relaxers, or antiflamatory, sometime using a few medications together will help so you can take a narcotic that are not so strong.
  • That's the whole problem with pain medications, getting physicaly addicted to them when all you wanted was some relief for the pain. Whether you are an addict or not, you are going to go through the same w/d's.

It's all pretty sad and I am so sorry you are going through this. I have a friend that is taking methadone for pain and is trying to come off of them becuase she believes(and I have read) that the methadone, after being on it for over a year is making her pain worse. She is slowly decreasing the dosage but is a very slow process. I would try to stay away from the methadone if at all possible. Just my opinion.

Good luck and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Suziee
  • :< Lorraine,

I am a chronic pain patient myself your story rings a very familiar bell. The "Patch" is a life saver for some, but I like you, almost died using it as perscribed. I grew tolerant and had a PM Dr. who kept changing the BT meds and couldn't figure out what was screwing me up psychologically.

Get away from it if at all possible. Sounds to me you are going through unnecessary withdrawals and need immediate professional attention. Someone should be titrating you off the Fentanyl patch gradually, 25mcg.,15mcg.(micro) then off under professional supervision. DO NOT go cold turkey, please, I have BTDT...50mcg + x 3 Percocet 10/325 +3 Valium 10mg., and threw it all in the trash.

I will spare you the GORY details of "cold turkey" just please get medical help immediately. IMHO this medication is for end life stage pain, and my new PM Dr. agrees. I feel so sorry for you, god bless, things will get better. If you try it alone let me know I did it and it was 1 solid week of pure hell there are small things you can do like stay hydrated.
advertisement