Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SHould I try Fentenal Patch?

Comments

• Hi,

I've seen that commercial too. From the information I have read Duragesic is the brand name of the patch and Fentynal is the generic. The brand name patches contain a gel that can be extracted and abused. The generic patches are much like a nicotine patch (with no gel), and harder to abuse. However, like with any other opiate, I am sure people have tried to use these inappropriately as well.

I am currently using the Fentynal patch 50 mcg for back pain due to a birth defect (spina bifida). I also have some curvature of the spine as well as a tilted pelvis. It has made for excruciating pain at times and it has only gotten worse over the years. My primary doctor has tried vicoden, then we tried percocet (endocet), but the percocets made me sleepy and I have to be able to function during the day, so I asked him if I could try the patch. It has worked very well, but I have been experiencing breakthrough pain. I called my doctor back and told the nurse about this and asked if I could be prescribed some vicoden. The doctor said no. Now I must tell you this a doctor that is totally against these types of meds, he does not like prescribing them at all. I have been advised by alot of people including my pharmacist that a pain management doctor is who I need to see as my condition will never get any better but the pain does need to be managed. So, tomorrow I go to the PM doctor for my first visit and hopefully he and I can find the right combination of meds with the patch to get my pain under control a little better.

Say a prayer for me that this new doctor can help me. O:)

The patch has been great for me other than the breakthrough pain. so I would recommend it, but that is just my opinion.

Blessings,
    Debi
    a.k.a. debico

• BionicWoman and haglandc were much more on point than I. I just fed into the hysteria that helps feed into the public's misconception about the treatment of chronic pain (or any pain for that matter) with opiates. I'm glad the url is dead and I had no business posting it. Just because I had a horrific time with this medication doesn't mean that it doesn't enable the vast majority of its patients great relief and an avenue to productivity.

Case and point. I was receiving Oxycontin through Purdue Pharmaceutical for FREE due to financial restraints. This is when all hell broke loose with whatever happened and I started receiving "sue em to hell" packages in the mail. Contents that included questionnaires such as; Have you robbed any banks lately? Have you felt like or have you committed any crimes do to the usage of Purdue Pharmaceuticals medications? Why would I sue a company that is helping me through a tough situation?

Education is the most important advise given. No matter what, do not trust your doctor is giving you all the information you need. My Pharmacist figured it out when she seen my sun burn with the "white" patch on my arm. Body core temperature and the engineered time release mechanism of the patch applied to the skin MUST be factored in. Sorry for any fears caused, as you can tell, the pain patch screwed me up due to lack of education.

• advertisement
  • Thanks for all the advise. My med regimen right now is not working ever since I went back to work 2 weeks ago. I really love the effectiveness of Oxycontin. I get no side effects at all and it really kills my pain. Is it very extraordinary for a DR to prescribe it 3 times a day. I would rather increase the Oxy then the vicodin.
  • Your coming back and posting as you did also brings attention and awareness..so maybe someone will learn something from this...never know :)

Education is key that is true,and if we are wise we are learning everyday.You actually helped if we look at it that way ;)
advertisement