I was recently recommended for a discectomy(sp?) @ L5 S1 after conservative treatments have been unsuccessful...these include:
1. giving myself time to rest and allowing the pain to reside
2. physical therapy(couldn't walk for two weeks after second visit)
3. pharmaceutical treatment Naprosyn, predisone and Vicodin--got me a trip to the ER following three days of severe nausea & vomiting--diagnosed with severe gastritis from the combination of medications
After researching the surgery I am leaning toward having it done. I'd really appreciate some advice on the following questions.
1. I was told I should have the surgery within six months of the herniation in order to have the best results… true or undue pressure from the surgeon?
2. I am a kindergarten teacher and the mother of two..is the four week return to work/household duties reasonable?
3. I have read in more than one place that this surgery will help buttock/leg pain (sciatica) but not back pain?? In addition to the back pain I have a lot of pain at the base of my spine. This pain affects my quality of life, is it true that the surgery will not help this pain? If not, is there a better option?
I apologize for the length of this post, I'm trying to process all of this in order to make and informed decision before making such a big decision. I am so grateful for any information you could give. THANKS!