Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Klonopin

Comments

• I have been taking Valium for my GAD the past 5 years and was recently switched to the Klonopin. This medication has no quick rescue feature like the Diazepam did and I've been taking it over 2 months waiting. Its only good feature for me is it helps with muscle pain. The only benzapine I haven't been prescribed is Xanax which is addictive, so I'm told. What benzapine isn't? So I may crap my pants but at least the muscle pain in my legs won't bother me.
  • Not sure if I'm reading your post right but klonopin actually has a very rapid effect, usually 15-20 minutes; they also make wafers for sub-lingual (under the tongue) dissolving, in 0.25 and 0.5mg strengths I believe; these give you that almost immediate rescue relief. Xanax doesnt work for very long, stick with the klonopin if you have really, really bad GAD. There are better options though if you don't have panic attacks and it's just GAD.
  • advertisement
  • My G.P. also gave me script of klonopin. but I was told to take the higher dose 2 hours before bed as it will take that long to work for getting a better night sleep. He says that after 2 hours if I feel like I will not be able to get to sleep to take my lunesta.
    During the day time I just take 1 mg, it does not make me sleepy at all and does seem to work fast with the pain relief.
    The higher dose at night takes pain away but usually takes a hour or so to make me feel drowsy, also I have found if I take it on empty tummy it works much better and faster with the pain relief.
    Could someone tell me what GAD stands for? I know I should know this but must have forgotten... Patsy
  • I have been on Klonipin ever since my husband's suicide almost 15 years ago, .5mgs up to 3 times per day. Just his past year it was upped to 1 - 2 tabs up to 3 times per day. I have to say I agree with the poster that said it is rapid acting, or atleast in my case it is. There are times when I am sleepy anyway that it does make me wanna nappie, but other than that it simply takes the edge off.

Obviously, it goes without saying (but saying it anyway) this has just been my experience with it for almost a decade and a half.

god bless,

amy

P.S.
    Klonopin has been around a very long time and is indeed a Benzodiazepine such as Xanax, Valium, Ativan.... u get the picture. My doc told me it's the least addicting and I find that to be the case as well. Hope any of this helps.

ALSO... I believe that GAD is Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
  • Thanks, I take up to 3 tablets of the 1mg Klonopin daily, I thought you may have to wait a period of time before it takes full affect, and after 2 months I'm becoming disappointed. I will ask about the wafers. Yes GAD Generalized Anxiety Disorder with panic features so severe it qualified me for disability along with a wide variety of other PHYSICAL problems. As an ex-alcoholic (4) years and counting I better find something that works fast, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the good useful information.
  • advertisement
  • Let me be the 1st to say WAY TO GO on your 4 years of sobriety!!! You have ALOT to be proud of!!!!

Take care,

Amy <:P <:P <:P <:P <:P <:P <:P <:P <:P <:P <:P <:P
  • You have been on this for 2 months and found no help with it?
    let doc know this. Some meds don't do a dang thing for one person and will help next one alot. It may be just your genetic make up. I have just recently found out that I have what they call a paradox effect with lots of meds, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
    I personal take 1mg of klonopin 3 diff times through out the day, i have no sleepiness from it (but I think it is causing sum constipation that I have never had before, I used to say my popper is the only thing that works good on this body.haha) but it does help me with my upper neck back and headaches alot and i can think clearer and seem to be just plain happier.
    At night time I take 2mg 2 hours before bed and this dose does calm me down help me relax helps with the pain and I can usually dose off to sleep after 2 hours of taking it.
    I also take neurontin lower dose during day and higher at night.
    The doc did mention the wafers to me because at times I can not swallow .. thats a whole other book. and right now im swallowing okay..
    I want to say my hats off to you for you sobriety and I'm proud of you even if i don't no you personally..
    I have alot of Respect for a recovery alcoholic!!!

My hubby is a tad bit over 24 years with no alcohol.

hugs and smiles to you from patsy
  • It's a daily struggle. I guess you could say I was a 3rd generation alcoholic that finally saw the light after witnessing the chaos it caused and was starting to cause within my own family. Not a bible thumper but through my extended family at church I found support.

As for the Klonopin and GAD. Here's a analogy I use when trying to explain my anxiety issues. I'm riding on a roller coaster slowly to the highest point, seated in the front and just as I crest I'm not sure if there is any track leading to the bottom. I'm not the patient who thinks he's going to die, just the need to flee, get the hell off the roller coaster fast as possible. I've been through all the psychiatric tests and evaluations and they all have concluded that I ain't crazy, just extremely anxious. Klonopin seems to help maybe as a mood stabilizer, but when a panic attack sets in, for a good 45 minutes I'm as screwed up as a football bat and need to be alone.

Have a great pain free day! :H
  • My doc has increased my klonopin to 8 to 10mg a day.
    2mg 2 to 3 times during day and 4mg 1 to 2 hours before bed.

During the day time doses it does not make me sleepy, but takes away almost all my upper back and neck pain. And I have had no headaches. Also it gives me a clear head and I can think better.
    The bed time dose has been helping me sleep and takes away pain enough to be comfy and sleep for almost 7 hours. I have not had to use my lunesta with this bed time dose of klonopin.
    I do not wake up with any kind of hangover effect and I actually feel better than I have in a long time.
    I do take neurontin that is helping with my legs and my right arm pain.
    I'm so happy I have found something to take away some of my pains. I forgot what this felt like.
    I also feel that a good night sleep makes for a better day all by itself. Patsy
  • I havent taken my klonopin in a while, I just kept forgeting to refill it. Last night I took 1 mg before bed. Well Hubby and I got in bed and turned the Phillies game on. I was sound to sleep in 5 min he told me. I slept until the alarm went off. WOO HOO! No hangover feeling at all.
advertisement