Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Getting SCS in the morning!!

gemyorkggemyork Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Pain Management
Hi everyone. I have been reading the forums on here for several months. It is comforting to know that so many have similar problems and pain and find ways to cope. Though I am sorry that so many of us hurt!

Tomorrow morning I am getting my trial lumbar SCS put in. I am excited though nervous. :SS I have read what people say about their trials and really it sounds like it should be ok. I'm a little embarrassed to say that one of my biggest concerns is about how am I going to wash my hair!! lol I am sure I will find a way.

I am so looking forward to the possibility of having some of my sciatic pain relieved. For most of the last 5 years my right leg has been the big problem. After a lamenectomy, a fusion, then removal of the hardware a year later, recent epidural injections and lysis of adhesions my pain is now mostly in my left leg! Maybe after tomorrow it won't be in either !

I just wanted to thank all of you for keeping up to date on your progress. I don't usually type much, but do read the posts often.

Have a pain free night!!! Diane
advertisement

Comments

• Hi and welcome to Spine Health. Good luck with your trial tomorrow. I hope you find that the SCS provides you some relief. I have a cervical SCS and love it!

"C"
  • Thanks! I will report back on how it went!
  • advertisement
  • I recently had my pain pump implant (completed in late August)which is much like the surgery for the SCS. After the actual implant surgery I was told I couldn't shower for 1.5 weeks...GROSS! After about three days I was feeling pretty good, and by the end of the week I was feeling REALLY good...Good enough to be absolutely disgusted by my hair!
    I had my fiance help me with a sponge bath (definitely not as romantic as you would think...It's just not so attractive that soon after surgery :P !) The sponge bath made me feel a million times better - just make sure you widely avoid any surgical sites, and make sure you DON'T help, as you should be doing no lifting, bending, or twisting (which, it turns out, are pretty key components for washing the ol' body!) I had my fiance clean my hair as well, and since I couldn't bend forward or backward we had to get creative. We used our kitchen sink which has one of the sprayers attached next the the facet. We covered the back of the sink along the wall with towels so it wouldn't get soaked. Then my fiance turned the water on very low so it just drizzled out of the sprayer, and I bent my neck towards the sink (But didn't actually bend my torso!) so that he could wet my hair, clean it, then rinse it. Initially he just got my hair wet and we didn't even bother with shampoo/conditioner - just having my hair wet made it feel cleaner! Definitely put out plenty of towels, though, because it can get the water everyone (but is very worth it!)
    Sorry to write so much - I just know that this is something that made me feel a MILLION times better when I was recovering. There's just something to be said for bein' clean! :X
    Hope tomorrow's procedure goes well - if it works it is SO WORTH IT! These interventions (pain pumps, SCS, etc) can change the way you live your life. Good luck!
    All the best - Janiel
  • HI Diane,

Welcome, I'm glad you get to experience the trial SCS. I had my implant on 8/12.

The trial SCS is a little different in maintenance and the feeling of stimulator. In the trial my SCS would kind of rev up by the range of motion of my neck or body. Nothing drastic, kind of telling me not to move in a bend (oops,I forgot) or twisting wrong. The Leeds will pull out easy if your doing real strenuous things.
    My PM did want me to work, light duty and get a real feel for what living with SCS would be like. We have the limits of BLT and hands above the head while in trial and healing from implant. During those times I had to make adjustments.

Example: So I was told not to do stuff like laundry, ya right, I compromised and instead of bending over washer I used my grabber stick for one article of clothing at a time. By day three I needed a shower so bad, I live in the desert and felt totally yucky. While in a sitting position I could manage a real good sponge bath and taped an extension (Popsicle sticks) to my razor. LOL quite the sight. To wash my hair I went down the street to the inexpensive hair cut place and asked for a wash. I explained that I needed her to put extra towels behind my neck and that I couldn't be in that leaning position for long. For a shampoo and condition she only charged me $4 to feel like a million bucks. Most of it will be going with what your body tells you it can do but there are adjustments we can make for any action. I live alone so I got a lot of tricks to do things. You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

I'm so happy you get to do the trial. some people, like me, know in an instant and some people need to evaluate the pros and cons of living with SCS. Work with your SCS rep and doctor for the right stimulus and areas. This will make all the difference in the outcome. :)

Look forward to hearing about your experience or questions.
    Take care of you,
    O-
  • I'm excited for you getting your ytial stim. Tomorrow I'm going for my psych eval and as I'm typing this my hegs hurt so much as they do every morning until the drugs start working. Won't it be great not to have to postpone our day for an hour? Good Luck on your trial. LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES. At least let me know 'cause I'm right behind you.
  • advertisement
  • Well, here I am a few hours home from my SCS trial. The whole thing went smoothly and was much less of a to do than I thought it would be. They people at my pain management office are all so nice and take time to explain everying.

At the moment I am laying in the recliner watching tv and hoping to take a little nap. Usually the recliner hurts my legs a lot but right now all I feel are the vibrations of the stimulator. =D> My back is a little sore, but my legs are not.

My stimulator has three programs: 1 for my legs, one for my back and one for sleep.

The vibrations do feel a little strange but I was used to my TENS machine, so it't not bad.

So far so good!!! I will write again tomorrow to report how it's going.

Good luck Stockbroker with your eval tomorrow! My insurance didn't require one. Let us know how it went!

Diane
  • Congratulations on getting your trial SCS. I truly hope it puts you on the road to a NEW life!!! Don't overdo it and get plenty of rest!!
  • Hi Diane,

That's great! I'm glad it went well for you. Did they assign you a representative to call and check up on you? What model are you doing the trial with?

Congratulations on your first day!
    Take care of you,
    O-

• Hi! Today is day number two of my trial with the SCS. I LOVE this thing!! I have had very little sciatic pain today. I even had my daughter take me for a drive in the car because that often gets it going. So so far I am saying that this is a big success.

The model I have is Advanced Biotics Precision. Both the doctor's office and the rep called to check on me. The rep was very helpful with a few little questions I had.

It does feel a little odd at times. When I move my head back it makes the stimulator vibrate extra hard. When I sneeeze, cough or laugh I get a pretty good zing, too! lol Not a painful zing, just stronger.

Washing my hair was interesting. I bent as little as possible and stuck my head in the shower, washing my hair with the hand held shower. Anything for clean hair!! 8>

I'll report back in over the next few days! Nite all!
  • Do you have the percutaneous leads? Were they inserted with an epidural type needle?

I have found that anything I do that increases the intrathecal pressure, will ramp up the stimulator. Most people don't realize how much every day, that the pressure in our thecal sac increases and decreases with specific activity. I find that my stimulator is very sensitive to that. So when you cough or sneeze or strain and certain movements will increase the pressure. Just like pressing on a sealed plastic bag with fluid in it.

Sorry I'm thinking and rambling at the same time.

"C"
advertisement