Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

10 Ways to make sure we dont have another surgery

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Maintenance
I wish I could list the 10 definite things that we could all do to ensure we never have another surgery.
But I cant, I can only ask for everyone's help in identifying those important things we all need to do.

Lets not have another surgery !!!!

Now, lets start listing them.....
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• Good question, Ron!

Well, there are some fairly obvious ones...

Don't lift heavy weights
    When you do lift, lift things correctly (don't bend, but squat)
    Don't play particularly physical sports again (no rugby, wrestling, etc., etc.)
    Don't have car accidents (yeah right....)
    Eat healthily
    Keep doing your stretching and core muscle strengthening exercises, FOREVER
    Maintain correct posture, particularly when sitting for long periods
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• I put this in another thread but...
    1. stay off sons dirt-bike
  • advertisement
  • Well I would sure like not to ever have another surgery. My first thought is to NEVER forget that I have a 3 level fusion in my neck and I need to be careful. Think before I lift (how heavy is it, can someone else do it, will it hurt me, how should I pick it up). Think before I move it, same as above basically, you know how this one works, you go out for dinner, the table is not straight, without a thought you put your hands on the table and there you are moving furniture (NOT). Or amazing how heavy a laundry basket can be and in our house they get carried from the second floor to the basement and then back up two floors when done. Let someone else in the house do the carrying. If there is no one else in the house then I guess I am carrying a few items at a time and calling it exercise. UPS........just got a package delivered and I really want to know what is inside but no one else is home. Guess that package is going to sit on the porch till someone else gets home to lift it.
    So anyway I hope I am going to be smart enough to take my own advice LOL
    LJ
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
    You have the right mindset for hopefully not having another surgery. Keep thinking and acting that way and you will know you have done your job.
  • dilauro said:
    You have the right mindset for hopefully not having another surgery. Keep thinking and acting that way and you will know you have done your job.
    Thanks Dilauro,
    Like I mentioned, I sure hope I remember to take my own advice. I find it very hard to not just do things but I would find it even harder to go through surgery again. To be realistic, I have a lot of issues going on with my spine and with both my Mom and Dad having spine issues I am predisposed genetically to neck and back problems (I haven't had an MRI of my back in more then 10 years but there was a lot of evil stuff the last time I did). The most important things for me right now is to get in as good physical health as possible, which will include lots of walking, losing some weight, gentle stretching exercise, 6 weeks of PT and to never forget about being careful what I do. Easy to say and hard to do. Even this am while I was in bed I moved in someway that has my neck complaining this morning so I guess it means being aware of what you are doing 24/7. I have yet to see what going back to work full time is going to be like but it will be coming up maybe next month.

Keep on encouraging all of us on this great forum,
    LJ
  • advertisement
  • My advice??? Walk walk walk....walk walk walk walk and walk... Did I mention walking? ;o)
    I am hopeful that it will help
    ouch
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
    That is so valid....
    Walking is about the one form of exercise that almost anyone with spinal problems can and should be doing.
    There are a couple of 'warnings' however when you go walking

- Proper foot wear. Do not wear flip flops or other type of shoes that do not give you proper support. There are so many shoes that are comfortable for every day things, but when it comes to walking, look for support.

- Terrain. There is really no problem walking up/down hills.
    At worst, it will just tire you more. But what can create problems is if you walk on a terrain that is totally uneven.
    For example, you can do a 3 mile walk on paved roads that have some inclines, no problem.. But if you start to walk over a 'nature' trail with logs, streams, etc to circumvent, that could be a problem.

I love this time of year, because I can get out and do more walking. And since I am far removed from surgical procedures, I will head out on those walking trails, taking along by walking stick
  • ..umm, I don't know..maybe the best way not to have another one is to not blow out the same disc post surgically? #o
  • That is a hard one for me...I have had really physical jobs my entire life,I was a seismographer for many years(a drillers helper,hole plugger,lineman,juggie,powderman,etc...)then I went into mining(blaster,drill helper,exploration geotech,lab tech,haultruck driver)In addition to that I have done my own yardwork,home maintenance,and played very hard as well.(have ridden motorcycles since I was 9,later 4 wheelers)And I would give anything to get on the end of a shovel and move drill cuttings all day,or clean my house do my yardwork and make a great dinner in one day! But...my body has been telling me no for a long time,and just recently my brain is finally getting a clue.I have to say NO.So if you can learn to say that,despite other peoples reaction to you,I believe that will help alot! That's my story and I'm stickin to it! Sagehen
  • The predominant opinion for many here is that surgery may be the saviour to all the problems that we have, that may well be true or not, who knows. Even those who had had many surgeries still do not have the answer and why some work and others not will always be a mystery.

All surgery caries some risk and once equated to our current quality of life that minimal risk for positive change may well be an option, my condition itself determined what procedure I needed the fact that it did not work was more to do with me as an individual than the process itself. In that respect I would always support any process that may maintain or improve our symptoms, the finite improvements we are sometimes looking for are not possible with any procedures at times we are encouraged to think that anything is possible with surgery when it is not.

We need all our supporters to be positive and know the risk before we jump that leap of faith. We are all ever hopeful that any list would enable us to only use surgery as a last resort and wish those on this inevitable journey luck and success. I do not regret having my failed fusion done as life looking at the ground was not alternative, certainly all the suggestions will prove of benefit for the future and we would all like to think that in evading this last resort we had some influence.

Evidence here might suggest that multiple surgeries create separate issues at each attempt and nobody goes into any procedure lightly or without some trepidation.

Whatever works for you keep trying and looking for more?

Take care John
advertisement