Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

10 Ways to do things that might put us in for another surgery

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Maintenance
We all have to think about the ways to avoid another surgery.
Try hard to make sure we do all we can stay healthy.

But, there is also another way to address that situation.
List the things that you know if you DO DO, you are putting yourself in jeopardy of having another surgery.

If anything, if people starting picking me apart, view my life from before my first surgery till now, you would find so many different approaches.

I tried so hard to avoid another surgery
I did so many stupid things that another surgery was just waiting to happen.
I was smart, I was stupid.

I gambled with fate. But I also learned its never too late.
I can learn and I still do day by day.

What are things we can not do?
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• We cannot ever again bend at the waist! Only bending with the legs allowed, at least that is what I keep telling myself ;)
  • Get hit by another semi!

LOL!

Griff
  • advertisement
  • idea griff!! Me, I shall stay off my son's dirt-bike.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
    I think over the years my Not-to-do List was bigger than my To-Do List!
    Most of the time its a matter of using common sense. Now if I could only apply that all the time, especially when I am in my yard. Being out doors almost makes me forget about my limitations. So, I will find my self working for hours, no breaks, on my knees, pulling , pushing, etc

Some outdoor power tools do wonders for me. Gas powered weed whackers and chain saws. I use them very carefully, so as not to overdo anything, but just the vibration of that equipment can have me rocking and a rolling for a couple of days.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I can't think of anything that I shouldn't do, but I bet my hubby has a long list(sometimes overprotective). Maybe I can't think of anything because I try not to think about what I can't do, only what I can do. However, I do think cautiously and try (not always successful) to think before I do something so I make sure to do it correctly or moderate the task. I lifted a bag of water softener salt into the truck of the car last week. I looked at it, considered asking for help, but then thought it through....bend at the knees, lift with core, turn, bend down at knees, set in truck. ta da! I got home and first thing hubby said was..."you didn't put that in there yourself did you?"
  • advertisement
  • After my falling off a ladder and through a wall I discovered that cervical surgery is not a pleasant alternative to being careful :? . So I adapted the carpentry rule of "measure twice and cut once." worked for 9 years till I slipped on ice this past winter and broke the fusion and wrecked the posteior part of the neck. I didn't follow my own slice of wisdom.

I look at something twice before lifting it, or even buying it in the grocery store, and then make the effort once. If it looks too heavy, I ain't lifting it. =;
  • I will promise that when I am in pain, I will not continue to do things like lift/work/laundry/driving etc... even if it means saying "no" to someone who wants me to do these things,

I will get my teenage boys more involved!!
  • i will not slip and fall backwards in a bar in Vegas!!
  • I shall not bust my a$$ down a flight of stairs post op :''(
  • Slam dance at a party ever again.
advertisement