Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Ways to Enjoy Your MRI

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
edited 01/26/2015 - 10:14 AM in Lighten and Brighten
I pulled this one from a post I made almost a year ago.

No matter how many times I've had a MRI , I still never enjoy going through it.
The MRI's are much better than they were 10 or even 5 years ago, but still.
I had one last Friday and was totally prepared going in for it....

1 Take some of your pain meds or muscle relaxers PRIOR to going in. (You want to be relaxed, you could also have 2 or 3 Martinis before hand, but then you will have the urge to go to the bathroom inside the tube)

2 Arrive at the center upbeat and knowing that the MRI is going to be easy this time. (Mind over matter, this is a piece of cake, I will show them)

3 Think happy thoughts as you disrobe and put on those hospital gear (About now, the only thing you are happy about is that the newer hospital apparel actually covers your butt!)

4 Scratch all possible parts of your body that will somehow itch inside the tube (This is always a problem, you prepare yourself, you convince yourself that you will not itch. Problem is shortly after inside of the tube, you know you were lying to yourself)

5 Laugh with the technician, telling them, ah, MRI's are a piece of cake (this helps build up your confidence)

6 Start to think of the ocean, vacation, your team winning, as you start to slide into the tube. (So far things are going good)

7 Oh oh, wait this tube got much smaller than last time, my arms are getting crushed, I cant move (Start to think, I should have went on that diet last month, its not to late to chicken out and press the buzzer to let you out)

8 Slowly you start to sweat and its coming down close to your eyes. You know the moment it hits your eyes, its going to burn and sting, and you know you cant do a thing about it (You start to try to turn your lips up and blow real hard to stop the sweat drops from coming down your face)

9 The drums and the banging start - At first you are scared, but welcome the distraction. (But after a while, the whole tube starts to vibrate, you think something has gone wrong, maybe I did leave a piece of metal on, and its going to come smashing up into my face)

10 The technician says over the loudspeaker, "Is everything ok", you respond, sure, no problem (But in reality, you want to tell them, stop it, turn the machine off, I really dont need this MRI)

11 The tube starts to move out, you say to yourself "Its over!", you are beaming with joy.. (Then the technician tells you, I am going to inject the contrast and then you only have 5-10 minutes more .... No What, I am NOT going back into that tube, forget the contrast, my doctor can read the MRI without that)

12 Real panic starts to set in. (You are clammy, You are sweating through those hospital pants which is NOT too comfortable. You try to dream, doesnt work, you try to think of your first date, doesnt work, for a second you open your eyes and ARGGGH, you are staring up at the top of the tube which is about 1 inch from your face!. Your stomach starts to turn, you try to take a deep breath, but nothing works)

13 The tube starts to move out again ( Its over , its over, its over )

You get up acting real strong, saying to the technician "Hey that was easy, piece of cake" You go back to the changing room, get dressed again and get ready to pick up the MRI CD and go home..

The technician greets you. "Sorry, we had a little problem, the film did not work correctly, we need to go through it again"

There you are , on the floor, crying whimpering like a little child..... No, NO NO

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• That about sums it up. I think I have had about 7 MRI's now. Each time I go to have an MRI or x-ray or CT scan anymore I ask the technician just how many one can have before they turn into a radioactive puddle of goo. This normally freaks them out a bit. I really like asking this to the young new techs. image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />

The MRI that I disliked the most, was one in the back of a semi trailer. I felt like at any minute someone was gonna hook up the cab and go driving off into oblivion with me stuck in that tunnel!!! Every second felt like an hour that go round.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I take a nap. To me, it's mean when they wake me up to inject contrast. Why not just let me sleep and find a vein quietly.

Now once I try to sit up afterwards, reality sets in. But until then...........

"C"
  • advertisement
  • =)) Love it!! I just had one Friday myself and found out today I have to repeat in 6-8 weeks. I'm right there with y'all I've had like 5 or 6 now. I'll think of this Ron next time, thanks for the laugh!
  • That is funny...
  • LOL =)) I went for my MRI at 3 am one night in February, i got to keep on my clothes so it wasn't so bad and thought of laying on a beach with the sun on me.
    Stephanie that is so funny to say that to the techs. =))
    Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • Hi Ron,
    I really have a problem with the enclosed space of an MRI. I try to talk myself into thinking its ok but I know its a problem. The last one I had was in May 08 I think and I decided I was going to count to 20'000 or something like that. I had a few tough minutes but basically the counting kept me calm and I was rolled out before I was done counting which was good because if I finished counting first I was going to make them take me out. This was better then the one I had 8 years ago when the tech told me not to swallow and that was immediately what I felt like I had to do.
    LJ
  • Now we're all going to be itching, sweating and panicking.....and thinking of YOU at our next MRI!

LOL!

Griff
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
    Now Griff, I wonder if that would be in the GOOD light or would they be cussing me?
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • When they pull you out to inject the contrast. Don't move 1 muscle until they are finally done. When they pulled me out I moved while he was injecting the contrast. The Tech got all pissed off the images wouldn't line up. Yeah whatever... My surgeon laughed and told me my back was still messed up. It just looked funnier with the alignment of the images wrong... :D
  • Hey, I'm glad this post resurfaced.

One of the facilities I had mris at provides a headset with music to listen to. The headset is very thick so it muffles the noice a bit. Also they let you pick out which CD to put in it, so I always go for soft relaxing piano music, but who knows, maybe heavy metal would be a good distraction too.

The place where I've had the last 2 done doesn't offer this, but next time I have one I'm going to ask if I can bring an IPOD or something. Just don't know if it interferes with the magnetic stuff going on. Something using a wireless headset may be better.

I think I have the record for the longest mri though. 2 full hours. This was after my first surgery when they were trying to figure out what went wrong and I thought it would never end. My husband was waiting and frantic with worry because they told him I'd be back to the room in 40 minutes. Good thing I was all drugged up or I would have never made it through!

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
advertisement