Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Battle with the Mattress

HaylieCatOwnerHHaylieCatOwner Posts: 117
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Since my Micro-D six weeks ago, the quest has been to help my mattress be more accommodating. I did a search on this site and read what I could about mattresses, and I've altered my too-soft mattress by putting a piece of plywood under it. But now it is too firm. I've tried adding a foam topper, and it was still too firm. I tried adding three comforters/bedspreads, and it's still to firm. My question is this: which is worse, a too-soft mattress or a too-firm one? I am having random pains in my backside, and I'm wondering if the firm bed is the cause. Would I be better off removing the plywood and sleeping on my too-soft mattress? How much harm can a too-soft mattress do?

Thanks for any suggestions! :)))

Haylie
advertisement

Comments

• If the pain was less bothersome with the softer bed, then ditch the plywood. If the harder is better then keep it.

I know that may not be of too much help, but from the research I have done on mattresses, and through my own experience, comfort has been the only deciding factor.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • I agree, comfort seems to be the only deciding factor. That's what my doctor told me as well, whatever feels best to you.
  • advertisement
  • Are we sure the mattress can't harm my disk somehow? If it's just a comfort issue, than the board is gonna go!

Thanks,

Haylie
  • I bought a memory foam mattress and it's very comfortable. I bought it wholesale so the price was more reasonable. I haven't had surgery yet though so not sure if this could help at all. Take care and wish you a painless recovery from surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • If it makes you feel better about making the decision. Do you toss and turn more when you are uncomfortable? I do. I think you would be more likely to injure yourself in that way.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • advertisement
  • Yes, I toss and turn. With the soft mattress, my concern is lack of support for my back. My NS mentioned a "medium firm mattress" when I spoke with him, and as an alternative, he thought the addition of the plywood to my existing bed would work. Before I pay money for a new mattress all together, I may try to still work with this. (Though I miss my old softie mattress...)

Does anyone know if you can buy the "Pillow Top" type of mattress top without buying the mattress that comes with it? I've tried the separate toppers you can buy at places like Target, but their pillows are really like pillows and wouldn't be comfortable for my back.

Thanks,
    Haylie
  • I have the 3 inch memory foam mattress topper. It was expensive but worth it. Good luck, Sue
  • for the memory foam toppers. Usually the best price and max of 2.95 shipping. If you go with one of these make sure it is at least 2 inch.
  • we bought a matress topper at walmart.
    its 3 inches foam and then 1 inch memory foam on the top.
    ITS LIKE WONDERLAND. we have a queen so it was like 125.
    the other toppers as the ones filled with feathers etc just did not cut it. that one is actually folded up behind my bed and saved for sleep overs of my daughter.
    only DOWNSIDE memory foam throws off heat. so it does get very warm..

as harming the disk tossing and turning hmmm very very good question.. not sure about that one...

good luck in your decision ;) ;) ;)
  • DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement