Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

post-surgery scar tissue

Comments

• My doctor and PT never mentioned anything about scar tissue. What are the exercises recommended to prevent it?

Hugs,
    Haylie
  • Haylie,
    The only exercise I know to prevent scar tissue is:
    Lay on your back with both knees bent.
    Lift one leg up while completely straightening it.
    "Pump" your ankle so that you're flexing and extending your calf muscles off and on. I try to do about 20 of them and then do the other leg.
    Supposedly, this moves the nerve that's being trapped by scar tissue (Or has the potential to be trapped). And it keeps the nerve mobile so scarring doesn't trap it to the point of pain.
    I still have sciatica even though I've been doing these exercises since after surgery (5 months ago).
    So I'm looking for more exercises and advice.

csp
  • advertisement
  • Thank you CSP. I hope you get relief soon, and please share with us if you find additional exercises. Is scar tissue a possiblity with any type of back surgery? Is it possible for less with a microdisectomy?

Thanks again,

Haylie
  • I had my fusion due to drift of vertabrae because of RA. My tendons are gradually weakening because of the disease process. I had C1,C2 fused about five years ago with excellent results and total recovery.

The pain I have been experiencing began just about the time that my lumbar fusion was considered stable. After discontinuing use of the post surgical brace I began doing water therapy exercises again. (I had been doing them for 14 yrs). I began to have excruciating pain in my sacroiliac right at the incision site scar (on my left side) and down the front of my left leg.
    My x-rays show excellent healing of the spine. I saw a really excellent yoga therapist who developed core strength exercises for me with reference to all my issues, but the resultant pain caused me to delay the program until the pain is under control. I have had massage which made the pain so much worse for several days, acupuncture in hopes of breaking up the scar tissue, which seemed to help for three days. When I had a second treatment the pain was again worse for several days.
    I saw a physiatrist who recommended a sacroiliac belt which didn't help at all.
    I saw a PT with the result that I felt worse pain for a few days due to the range of movement I had to show him.

I have done yoga and tai chi and been a dancer, done years of water exercises through my adult life. I am not a wuss, nor exercise averse but I too fear to make things worse. I have pain meds that sometimes work but which I dislike. About the only relief I can get is with hot baths and my massage mouse. It is like a litte tens unit. I almost always have to use it during the night when I wake with pain. It allows me to get back to sleep. I believe any tens unit would probably work.

I long for the day when my muscles, tendons or whatever recover so I can get some exercise again.
  • Well, since it's over 6 mos since surgery and I continue to feel worse with back and leg pain, I'm having a 3rd mri and a CT scan to look for possible fracture or scar tissue/arachnoiditis. On the arachnoiditis - I don't know what I'll do if that's the problem. From what I read it is about as bad as it gets, for the rest of your life, and, per the doctor, can continue to progress (doesn't just STOP so you at least know the limit of pain you have to deal with)....

I'm pretty freaked out. But want to get the tests over with and find out what's going on..... Rosa
  • advertisement
  • Easy for me to say Rosa but you need to be really focused on the up.

I have been with the Ugly pain as it is called!

Be confident that you will resolve your current situation, in time.
    Scar tissue will be inevitable for any surgical intervention it just depends on your bodies healing response how problematic that may be. Whether it is really the cause of your pain or whether the doctos correctly identified the pain triggers who knows. Medicine is not an exact scinece and the docs are doing their best.
    I hope that you find a cuase for th epain but it is one with an easy resolve.
    Be strong.

I have been struggling for nearly 20 months now since my first operation and am still hopeful. Yes i have very bad pain days. I have bad mental down days.
    Try and find some good things that have come out of your experience, even if it is something small and silly.

Hugs
  • Thanks, itsalongwalk (and boy it sure is!), and I really do try. I have seen 2 friends die, one of ALS and one of Parkinsons, so I try to count my blessings.
    And you are so right - medicine is not exact. The new NS I've been seeing admits that (unlike the first, who I think has a God complex). I also live with the hope that over the next few years better drugs for pain will be developed.

I'll let you all know what the tests show. And again, I don't know what I'd do without this forum, able to talk to people who've been there and know how it feels.

Rosa
  • I had an anommally removed from L4. Prior I walked a 13-14 min. mile. Now 5 years later I can not go up my stairs. I think I own the local MRI machine. All my NS says is sorry adn good-bye.

He kept telling me the reason for the pain and weakness is the scar tissue. I have had shots, PT and massage. I am only worse and have no hope. There are days I do not leave bed, because I have difficulty standing up.

NS says to get a Sponal Cord Stimulator. But it will do nothing for the weakness in now both legs, feet and gut. Each day is worse than the previous.

I wish I had some encouraging word. But to go from a very healthy person with no pain to an overweight blob, has been very difficult.

Stretch and massage msy help.
  • I had an anommally removed from L4. Prior I walked a 13-14 min. mile. Now 5 years later I can not go up my stairs. I think I own the local MRI machine. All my NS says is sorry adn good-bye.

He kept telling me the reason for the pain and weakness is the scar tissue. I have had shots, PT and massage. I am only worse and have no hope. There are days I do not leave bed, because I have difficulty standing up.

NS says to get a Sponal Cord Stimulator. But it will do nothing for the weakness in now both legs, feet and gut. Each day is worse than the previous.

I wish I had some encouraging word. But to go from a very healthy person with no pain to an overweight blob, has been very difficult.

Stretch and massage msy help.
  • That is truly tragic - I mean that. I know what you mean, and I'm nowhere near as incapacitated as you are. I wonder if you got the Stimulator could you slowly increase walking and build your leg strength back up?

I know what you mean - I went into surgery so blissfully happy that the past 3 years of pain were about to end and now would give anything to feel as "bad" as I did before that surgery....

Rosa
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.