Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

post-surgery scar tissue

advertisement

Comments

• Julie, I am sorry to hear about your complication. It must be horrible not to know when to go.

On the wrap, CSP asked a very valid point, do you still have scar tissues even after you had the surgery? Your bladder and bower problems, is it caused by scar tissues compressing the nerves? Do you know the name of the gel? Did your doctor ask you to take any asthma medication after the surgery? Sorry I asked so many questions. I am heading for surgery this month, and I am still deciding whether it is of any use. I guess if I do it, it will buy me time to find a solution.

I am really really scared. I can't tell you how many nights, I sit here fearing, and tearing. I have flashbacks of horror.

zach

• Zach,
    What is Singulair usually used for? How will it prevent scar tissue? Will it be injected into the site or just taken orally? Glad to hear that you had some good news.

csp
  • advertisement
  • We seem to fear what we do not know or have control over. With these surgeries you agree to them and sign consent forms and then hope or pray that all will come out right in the end. And if not you just keep working to find a solution. So if you are sure you need and want this done then let it go into their hands.
    Yes you always have scar tissue and anywhere they worked it will form again cause that is what the body does to heal. But it is how it heals and if the nerves don't scar down that counts.
    No asthma medication for me. Don't know name of gel but all use it I would guess.
    You asked a million dollar question about the scar tissue causing the bladder and bowel issue. Working on figuring that out right now.
    You said you were wondering whether it was worth it or not. If I had a chance no matter how small to change the condition I am in I would take it. I realize as things have gone for me they don't always go totally right. Cause for me right now this isn't living. So if you aren't to that point I can see why you are so worried.
    julie
  • Since I had 4 surgeries in 11 months my doctor realized the abundance of scar tissue I can grow, which is not always a good thing. The object of wrapping it in some of my fat and using the foam was to keep the nerve root free moving longer. I guess what is really hard for us to keep in mind is the tiny amount of visual space is actually seen and operated on. But when damage is done to the nerve, that fiber of the whole nerve root doesn't just die at that point it dies the whole length of the nerve root. So it has to regrow the whole length and that is a long time.
    More surgeries won't necessarily fix the pain. Could cause more. That will have to be between you and you doc.
    We have a tough problem and I don't think there is any good solution to fix our pain and numbing.
    julie
  • First the MRI. Then the Myelogram/CT. Then comparing opinions. I don't know if there is an end until we give up. Sad huh?
    julie
  • advertisement
  • This is a very good thread, thanks.

But I am keen to know...I had an interbody spacer lodged in my spine canal for 6 months. I still have all my legs pains, numbness I am aprrox 9 weeks post removal.

If this was a disc herniation (like sciatia) would the leg have changed I wonder? I am very scared of scar tissue as this is my 3rd op.

Julie asked about bowel movement - well my leg fires up and goes pins needles / weak when I am on the toilet - its really weird.

Any ideas??

• How interesting - works on the inflammatory process in the body. In really basic terms like an anti-histamine dampens down inflammatory response. I understand the theroretical link.

Anyways, I await a reply on above dilema. I think I have just echo'ed you - scar tissue versus more problems?

oh well. Keep going!!
  • Zach,
    That's awesome about the Singulair. Sounds like there really is hope for you. I can't wait to find out if this helps your symptoms after your surgery.

I keep thinking that if scar tissue adheres to the nerve and doesn't let it move that stretching the nerve will help... especially if you keep stretching it over a long period of time. Any thoughts on this... anyone?? I do exercises that stretch the nerve every day, and I keep hoping that if I lengthen or "yank" the nerve hard enough, that the scar tissue will let go. Does this make any sense?

csp
  • gently tease the nerves, she says that nerves don't like yanking and be gentle gentle.
  • itsalongwalk,

How is the therapy working for you? Have you noticed any improvement? Did your therapist say what exactly happens when you tease the nerves? Do they expand or tear away from the scar tissue?

csp
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.