Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

i got my 3rd opinion....Not good,more surgery

grandmesamomggrandmesamom Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I got my third opinion today from a NS.I am so glad that I did but he gave me bad news like the 2nd DR who was an ortho spine. He said I have a central disc herniation that is pressing the spinal cord and need a C56 ACDF. I just had C67 fused last year.Isn't it amazing that the first NS that did my surgery maintains that all of my radiology films look good? This NS wanted to know why I waited so long and stated that he is uncertain if I will regain the total use of my arm. I am really angry that it took 5 months of run around to get where I am today.
I asked him if I could wait until December for the surgery and he said I couldn't afford to wait that long.I am scheduled for 11/13. He also told me to be careful that I don't get into a car accident or fall . So for all of you who have 2 level fusions,how much movement will I lose? I am so sick over this . By the time he explained all of the risks involved and the chance of no improvement,I am thinking,"What's the Point?"
Thanks for listening and your input.


  • I'm glad you got a solid answer with your situation. Though it's not a good one at least you know what's going on. What a shame you've not been able to seek treatment simply because the surgeon didn't want to admit fault. People like that should have their freaking license yanked. But again, now you know and the only thing you can do is try to be positive and have a good attitude about the impending surgery. I know nothing of fusions but I am thinking of you.
  • Thanks for your comments. I am trying to maintain positive but I am so frightened. I just can't imagine going through surgery again. I have been fighting for 5 months to get treatment for this. I m really afraid to tell my boss about this. I have only worked for this company for 9 months and I am afraid they will fire me for it. Bethy
  • advertisement
  • I know I would be scared about the uncertainty of success and the job situation. I'm wishing you the absolute best outcome with both. hugs to you.
  • Thank you for your kind words, Bethy
  • Bethy,
    I'm sorry you are having to go through a second surgery. I had a level 2 ACDF and I have not lost much movement at all. It's still hard to bend my neck backwards but I'm only 14 weeks post-op. I can move my neck fine side to side and touch my chin to my chest. It does hurt moving my neck to the right but that's because I have muscle spasms and the nerve is still healing but hopefully that will go away with time.

    I had lost a lot of use of my right arm before surgery, especially in my hand - I could not really even use a computer mouse. That's a lot better now but I had nerve damage. If there was any pressure on my spinal cord my surgeon didn't tell me about it but he was not very forthcoming with any information. If I didn't dig I would have known nothing...he didn't volunteer info.

    Can they fire you for a medical leave? If the doctor takes you off work for surgery I hate to think they could do that to you. Surely they would understand that these things happen and it's not your fault.

    Hang in there and take care!
  • advertisement
  • You question why to have the surgery if it wouldn't make it better........without the surgery, it would probably get a lot worse. Especially if your NS cautioned you against falling, or an auto accident. You want to stop the progression of nerve damage. That said, they have to caution you that there might not be improvment. But that doesn't mean that there won't be. Just think, you'll be recovering from surgery, and lots better before Christmas. Wishing you the best outcome possible. Be careful before the surgery.
  • It's the cord compression that you have to worry about. They simply don't get better on their own and chances are that, even if you don't have symptoms now, the future can be bleak if you don't have the surgery.

    I'm sorry about your experience with your first surgeon. I had one like that and there is no good answer for it. You just have to move forward and get the care that you need now. Hopfully you shouldn't lose too much ROM with a 2 level fusion.

    Keep us posted on your progress and make your surgeon explain everything! If you don't understand, ask him to clarify it so you can. It's your right to know so don't let him bully you!

    All the best to you,

Sign In or Register to comment.