Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Best Short acting narcotics?

JEMJJEM Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Pain Medications
I currently take Oxycontin, with Oxycodone for BT. My doctor is getting cold feet lately. She upped my Oxycontin (60mg, 3x day), but took away my BT meds. It's not working on my pain.

I'm starting to think that Oxycontin isn't for me, and I'd like to take just short acting meds instead. The immediate relief works better for me. I don't mind taking meds every four hours either. I don't know how to present this to my doctor. What dosages could she prescribe for me so it doesn't add up to too many pills, and is Oxycodone the best short acting med?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.
advertisement

Comments

• JEM,

Sorry that you are having a hard time getting good pain control from the Oxycontin. How long has it been since you sat down and discussed with your doc how your meds are or are not working and in what fashion? Are you tracking the effectiveness in a timeline each day? I found that by tracking my pain levels vs the times and effectiveness of my pain meds and presenting that information to the doc, helped him better tailor a pain management schedule for me.

It's quite a delicate balance sometimes, between the half-life of the drug, the rate your body metabolizes and other drugs you may be taking at the same time. Medicating someone isn't an exact science, but the more data a doctor has to go from, the more accuracy they can achieve for you.

My doctor had me taking several different narcotic pain medications until he was able to figure out what worked best for my body. Once that was figured out, I had better pain control. It took a concerted effort between myself and the doc in order to get everything figured out though.

"C"
  • :) i am not sure how you would approach this to a doctor. it is not the preferred way to take medication. there are no short acting meds that you would only take 3 of a day. since you need them every 4 to 6 hours you would need 6 a day at the least. short acting meds really aren't made for long time use as your primary souce of medication. perhaps another long term medication would be better. maybe you need to give the new dosage a chance. following the doctors plan for awhile might be your best bet. if it really doesn't work for you, be honest! tell your doctor what you told us. good luck and i hope you have the pain treatment you need soon. Jenny :)
  • advertisement
  • Thank you for the replies, C and Jenny. I saw my doctor last week, and told her that using only Oxycontin, even at 60 mg, 3x day just wasn't cutting my pain. My neck pain is out of this world. The Fibro pain, I can handle, and the Lyrica is helping with that, but the neck/upper back spasms are awful. She told me that she's not comfortable going beyond 180 mg a day.

Before this change, I was taking 40mg, 3xday, but I had BT meds. I had six, 5 mg Oxycodone. The Oxycontin just isn't working. Due to insurance, I tried Methadone earlier this year. It helped with my pain, but made me feel weird. Finally, my insurance company covered the Oxycontin.

I seem to be one of those people who responds better to short acting meds. My doctor isn't too flexible, and always seems one step away from cutting me down. When she increased the Oxycontin, she took away the BT, so that was no help. I told her that just three BT a day would work with the 60mg Oxycontin, but she didn't want to hear it.

I'm trying to think of a way to stay within her 160 mg comfort level. I just don't know. This is all so tiring. Trying to make my case, and all I want is pain relief.
  • it may be that the doc would rather have you on the long acting meds because they do less harm to your organs than the short acting meds. I am on methadone and am on percocet for bt pain but my doc has told me that he would rather up my methadone than increase my percocet because of the fact that it is safer for my body. I think that docs would like to keep you on the safest meds especially if you are looking at taking them long term. have you tried morphine? The methadone made me feel weird at first but now I feel perfectly normal just with less pain. Good luck finding a solution.
  • painintheback said:
    it may be that the doc would rather have you on the long acting meds because they do less harm to your organs than the short acting meds. I am on methadone and am on percocet for bt pain but my doc has told me that he would rather up my methadone than increase my percocet because of the fact that it is safer for my body. I think that docs would like to keep you on the safest meds especially if you are looking at taking them long term. have you tried morphine? The methadone made me feel weird at first but now I feel perfectly normal just with less pain. Good luck finding a solution.
    That's probably what it is. Have you ever tried Oxycontin? I ask because I'm wondering what worked better for you, the Oxy or the Methadone? I should know better, but Methadone scares me. Morphine made me sick, and I had to stop on fourth day. I would really appreciate to hear of your experience with Methadone.
  • advertisement
  • I totally know where you're coming from. I've been taking MS contin 30mg twice a day and I told my Dr. I'm taking one percocet at night from leftover pills I've had and she seemed fine with it. She also said she wouldn't increase my meds. My pain clinic Dr. thinks he can get me off the narcotics with the pain and epidural shots. I doubt it. I think I need surgery. Although the leg pain is dissapating, my back pain is still bad. When I see my ortho second opinion in January perhaps he will recommend surgery. I need to go back to work as they can only hold my job for so long. Long term meds is what the Drs like to use as it's less habit forming. But I understand what you mean. Sometimes BTP meds are needed. Hope you find some relief. I may mention the fentanyl patch next time too. Sorry to talk about me so much it just brought up questions I'm wondering too. Take care Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You cannot ask or force a doctor to prescribe past a point where they are comfortable. I respect your doc for telling you that she has reached her comfort level. Shows that she cares enough to do what she could until she reached that point.

The thing to keep in mind though, is that if the 60mg of Oxycontin three times a day is not controlling your pain, then throwing a few mg of BT meds in there isn't going to do much and if it does, then not for long.

"C"
  • charry said:
    I totally know where you're coming from. I've been taking MS contin 30mg twice a day and I told my Dr. I'm taking one percocet at night from leftover pills I've had and she seemed fine with it. She also said she wouldn't increase my meds. My pain clinic Dr. thinks he can get me off the narcotics with the pain and epidural shots. I doubt it. I think I need surgery. Although the leg pain is dissapating, my back pain is still bad. When I see my ortho second opinion in January perhaps he will recommend surgery. I need to go back to work as they can only hold my job for so long. Long term meds is what the Drs like to use as it's less habit forming. But I understand what you mean. Sometimes BTP meds are needed. Hope you find some relief. I may mention the fentanyl patch next time too. Sorry to talk about me so much it just brought up questions I'm wondering too. Take care Charry
    I'm glad you understand, and don't worry about talking about your experiences. That's how we learn, from each other. You're right. There are many times when BT pains are needed. In fact, on my insurance website, it's posted that's how opiate therapy works, a long-acting med, and if necessary a BT med. I read about BT meds everywhere. Good luck with your back pain. :)))
  • To me, I just see this: your doctor took away 30mg's of immediate release oxycodone per day, and gave you 60mg's more, which should VERY adequately compensate for not having the BT meds. If you took one every 4 hours as prescribed, then you are actually getting MORE of the medicine now. Just being totally honest, I think you are bordering getting labeled as an abuser/addict by your doc, just because of your request. You got TWICE the breakthrough meds, and are asking for more; I know where you are coming from, and if your motivations are valid then I'm sorry it's so hard for you, but there ARE many people in your situation who have been upped from 40 to 60mgs, 2 or 3 a day, and they DO get a high from it even if taken 'usually' as prescribed, and DO get a high from the BT meds, and doctors know this. Some people save up 3 days of BT meds and take them all in one day, or abuse them in other ways. Ultimately if you go from 180mg a day to 30mgs (breakthrough only) you are going to be VERY, very, unhappy. You are at a dosage right now that is reserved for BAD pain, and will definitely bring on withdrawals if your doc makes that change.

You are more likely to get a change back to 40mgs 3/daily, and bring back the breakthrough. However, if you ask for that, again it just shows that you prefer the fast release oxy, over the higer milligrams of constant relief, and doesn't look good.

I'm gonna suggest you ask the doctor to supply you with their medicine of choice for breakthrough, if they are uncomfortable with Rx'ing the oxycodone, I think it's the only way. Would you be fine with your current Oxycontin and say, 6 Norco/Vicodin per day? What kind of doctor are you seeing?
  • It sounds to me like what you have said-either your pain is worse,or your tolerant to your meds now.I hope that you can find some relief from your pain.

I've never taken Oxycontin or Oxycodone,but it seems as though if the dosage were raised and it is not helping that perhaps you became tolerant to the BT medications.

Lately I've been reading a lot about pain getting worse-and my pain is substantially worse.The chill in the air makes me tighten up and in turn causes more muscle spasms/headaches/stiff neck.I take 10mg lortab 4x's a day(every 6 hrs)and let me tell you~it's not enough lately.I almost regret telling my Dr that I didn't ever want to go higher,but I really don't.He has never mentioned long acting medication to me and I worry about the tylenol in my lortab.As it is I'm getting 2000mg a day because they are 10/500,and I've been on the lortab for over a year.Even at 5/500,and 7.5/500-still the same amount of tylenol-which I know helps with my pain.

I've never brought up long term meds with him either,and it's my responsibility to do so if I'm concerned.I suppose I'm resistant to change.

Anyway~Just thought I'd share my 2 cents.I do hope that you find relief from your pain.It gets tiring I know.
advertisement