Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Artifical disc Prodisc-c

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello,

If anybody has had a Cervical ADR with the Prodisc-C, I would love to Here about your experience and if you would or would not recommend this procedure, I am being considered for a Multi-level ADR with the Prodisc-C. I would also like to here from anybody who had this option, but choose not to have an ADR and went with the Gold standard ACDF.

Thank you for responding.
advertisement

Comments

• apbart- I have not had any type of surgery yet. I have one large bulge and two minimal bulges from c5-c6, c6-c7, c7-t1. I have done a lot of research and I would definetly go for the ADR over the fusion anyday. Now on what type, I have read good things about prestige and prodisc.

You said you are a canidate for multi level disc. Are you in the US? If so are you going to be in a trial/research? Is your insurance paying for this? What areas are you having problems with?

Clarissa
  • I have had both fusion and just recently an ADR. My fusion surgery, years ago, went fine but because of the fusion, it put a lot of stress on the other discs causing them to herniate. I had the fusion done at multiple levels in the middle of the neck. I had only a little lost of motion. This past surgery I had an ADR put in put it was from another manufacturer. So far so good but it has been only 5 weeks. The ADR's are to new to know what the road will bring us. If you're looking at the differences, both types of surgeries should bring you relief from pain but the recovery time is significantly different. With fusion I was laid up for 2 -3 months and the ADR I was back to work in a week doing light duty. Everyone's pain levels and recovery time will vary. As Paul mentioned, in the States the have only approved single levels for the cervical region, lumbar is different. I will end this by telling you that I am happy with my decision to go with the ADR.

Rob
  • advertisement
  • No experience with ADR. My neck is basiclly shot, so my NS decided to go with a posterior foraminotomy and ectomy, in essence to make the opening wider and hopefully make more room for nerve roots. Thus far, still have weakness, numbness, etc. Hopefully, over time, this will improve.

I wanted the ADR, but only eligible in the US for one level, and at my worst level I was not a candidate (apparently not enough space to fit it in).
  • I want a 2 level ADR as opposed to the ACDF. I read an article that our FDA only approved one level due to not knowing the long term effects! I think thats ridiculous, they KNOW what the long term effects of fusion are, usually more surgery when the disc above and below fail due to the extra pressure. I am willing to be a test subject... give me 2 level ADR and send me a questionaire once a year, its my neck I think I should be able to do what I want with it! OK thats frustration talking but for now no fusion for me until it becomes the option of last resort. For now I will wait and hope that the FDA wakes up and approves ADR for 2 levels. Good luck to you and all of us dealing with these darned disc problems!
  • HELLO, I'M A 41 YEAR OLD WHO JUST HAD A C4-C5 ADR ON 10/13. THAT PUTS ME 2 WEEKS OUT. IT HAS BEEN A GREAT BLESSING. NO MORE PAIN AND NUMBNESS!! MY HERNIATION WAS A RESULT OF AN INJURY AND IT TOOK 3 MONTHS OF PHYSICAL THERAPY AND PAIN MANAGEMENT BEFORE MY INSURANCE WOULD APPROVE MY SURGERY. THE NS I WAS SEEING WANTED TO DO A FUSION BUT WITH THE HELP OF MY HUMAN RESOURCES REP.(I'M A CATH-LAB NURSE) THEY FOUND ME A SURGEON AT ONE OF OUR SISTER HOSPITALS, THAT DOES THE SYNTHESIS PRO-DISC C ADR'S. YOU MIGHT WANT TO RESEARCH THEIR WEBSITE. GOOD LUCK WITH THE SEARCH. JEFF
  • advertisement
  • I was getting ready for an ADR because my 2nd opinion OS said I was an "ideal candidate." But, after my 3rd opinion doc saw my MRI and noted that my C-spine was as straight as a board (as is often the case with us "neckkies,") he said that he would NOT recommend an ADR. So, back to the fusion. I am bummed. So I ask you, apbart, how is the curvature of your neck? The fusion can correct the curvature apparently, but the ADR cannot. If there is no curve in the neck, the chance of other areas wearing out is high.
    The best of luck for you ...
  • I had an ADR in April 2006. If I could wind back time and change my decision I would. I awoke from the surgery with neck and head pain that has only worsened over time. I am now 34 and on 8 prescriptions a day and cannot live a normal life through the pain. I am far worse than I was prior to the surgery. I have recently learned that I am doing better than some of the others at my FDA test site and that all of us there are living in severe pain. My point is to do your research before jumping into a trial that sounds amazing because it is new technology.
    S
  • I have to say this was the best choice of my life. I have been suffering for 2 yr. I was in an auto accident and ended up with 7 ruptures!! 4 cervical 2 thoracic and 1 lumbar. My NS told me about the prodisc c and explained that it’s a gray area being new and with my problem I could not have a 4 level fusion – I would not have any range of motion. So I decided what if I replaced 2 levels and then fuse the rest. He thought about it and you know there is never guarantee with anything.
    I had the surgery in Aug with C 3,4 ADR C 5,6 and a fusion C 6,7. If I could have done the ADR on all 4 I would have. The fusion is hard to deal with and the ADR is Awesome!! I am getting ready to have him replace the lover lumbar soon.
    You need to find a great NS who will discuss all your options and things will work out.
    Good luck to you.
    There is a web sight you can look at and it explains everything that they will do.
  • K2j3

Where do you live? If in the US where you in a trial?
    Clarissa
  • I had the ADR Prodisc C installed 6 weeks ago and I am in worst constant pain than I was before the surgery. I have problems with C3,4,5,6,7 and had the Prodisc C placed at the C5/6 level. The doc seems surprize I'm not doing well, however, I have learned several problems have been identified during the FDA trials. He never shared this info with me. No collar brace, no therapy & no post op advise. This device hasn't been on the market long, I should of known the doc would not have much experience placing them at the C-spine level. I am still on Hydrocone & musle relaxers daily. I wouldnt recommend this doc or the device to others.
advertisement