Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Epidural (caudal) steroid injections-So Many?

advertisement

Comments

• Guys and girls I've had DDD for 5 years and have 2 herniated discs at L5 and L4 with spondylosis. I've been in a massive amount of regular narcotics for over 2 years. I cannot stand or walk for more than 5 minutes and have very bad sciatica, numb leg and saddle. I want to go for the op as I have had enough, I can't sleep and have to be off work a lot. My surgeon wants to delay the op with these injections but I am allergic to anti inflammatories after suffering with 5 stomach bleeds. I'm thinking of getting a 2nd opinion but I cannot see any other options after trying physio, exercise, manipulation and the meds don't even touch the sciatica.

I have to try to remain positive but if I lose my job I will be in trouble. I am scared of the injection risks........
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,269
    edited 02/24/2014 - 5:59 AM
    There are steroids not NSAIDs in the injections , as well as lidocaine to help anesthetize the area....the steroids are used to calm down the inflammation and soothe an inflammed nerve root that is suspected of being the cause of the pain.
    It might help to read a bit more about the injections, and the reasons behind them. I am including a couple of links for you to take a look at.
    The first is the Step by Step Guide to Getting treatment for Back pain. It is found at the link at the bottom of my post.
    The second is http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/injections/lumbar-epidural-steroid-injections-low-back-pain-and-sciatica
  • advertisement
  • sandi said:
    There are steroids not NSAIDs in the injections , as well as lidocaine to help anesthetize the area....the steroids are used to calm down the inflammation and soothe an inflammed nerve root that is suspected of being the cause of the pain.
    It might help to read a bit more about the injections, and the reasons behind them. I am including a couple of links for you to take a look at.
    The first is the Step by Step Guide to Getting treatment for Back pain. It is found at the link at the bottom of my post.
    The second is http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/injections/lumbar-epidural-steroid-injections-low-back-pain-and-sciatica
    In the UK the injections are mixed with a powerful anti inflammatory medicine I think the surgeon says there us a choice if 3 or 4 different ones they can use plus steroid, epidural and something else which I forgot so I am not willing to risk another serious stomach bleed.

My dad also had these and had a serious reaction to the dye used for the xray they use whilst having these injections. I'm a positive individual and a realist but I'm not prepared to take the risk if a reaction. Thankfully for me the discs are pressing into the spinal column and sciatic nerve (from the MRI) also had a moving x ray and my back is deforming when I move (the surgeon says will be causing my back ache) so I'm in for an op. This isn't an easy fix but a lifestyle choice. Good luck everyone with your personal choices but I will never risk a spinal injection. X
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,923
    edited 02/25/2014 - 10:19 AM
    the USA and UK Epidural Spinal Injections, then anytime you create a thread or post regarding spinal injections, you need to make it clear (in bold letters) that you are from the UK and that their ESI in addition to steroids, NSAIDs.

I can not allow any member here in the states to feel that the ESI's given here contain any NSAIDS.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • BrownevoBrownevo Posts: 23
    edited 02/25/2014 - 7:00 PM
    I'm not being funny but how was I suppose to know there was a difference between the two countries.

Edited comments.

Edited by Sandi
    Inappropriate forum comments.
  • advertisement
  • one of the moderators took the time to check into whether or not there are NSAIDS used in any of the spinal injections either in the US or the UK and there are not. Steroids of various formulations are used, based on the choices of the doctors performing the injections and the purpose of the injections but there are not any NSAID's- non steroidal anti -inflammatory drugs.
advertisement