Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Fear over upcoming fusion!

Comments

• Maxicat - I too feel I have exhausted conservative treatment, and if I try to walk too much I really pay the price with excruciating pain the next day. I'm also L5/S1. And my name is Melissa. But I still have my gallbladder (for now anyways) :)))

Your fear of not being fully anesthetized during the procedure - you mean like you've been watching too much 20/20? Gosh I had not even thought about that one. Paralysis I don't worry about, the spinal cord stops around L1 or maybe even higher (I didn't realize this when I had my discectomy, I didn't have much time to prepare including the study of my own anatomy and I swear that alone almost gave me a heart attack).

I wish you and all the other upcoming surgeries BEST of luck and I will be following your recoveries so please keep posting, let us know how you are doing. I see my surgeon on November 12 and hope to schedule ALIF at that time. And then I can really freak out. :S
    --Melissa
    Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
    May 2017 ALIF L4-L5 with PLF rods added L4-L5-S1
  • Thank you G. You make a lot of good points to make me feel better :) I wish you continued recovery!!! >:D< >:D<
  • advertisement
  • Hello my fellow Melissa friend! :) I know exactly what you mean by paying the price the next day!! I'm ready for some pain relief :''( Actually, my fear of anesthesia came from watching the movie "Awake" which my dear hubby rented @) (without thinking)...but that is Hollywood! Don't watch it, it just makes your mind wander irrationally.

I didn't realize the spinal cord stopped higher up....thanks for that info. #:S that's one worry off my mind. I see my surgeon on November 14th to schedule..so we can freak out together during the same week LOL. PLEASE keep me posted on your progress/recovery! I wish you the best. >:D< >:D< >:D<

Melissa ;)