Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

impatient

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
im becoming very impatient over the heal time, this laying around crap is for the birds. i know its necessary but seriously!? Im bored outa my mind it hurts to get up but i find myself trying to anyways. My wife gets angry cause im always trying to do something and shes afraid ill injure myself. The pain is still very much there but i just dont know how much longer i can go on with the day in and day out of laing around..lol anyways sorry just thought id vent a little. Hope everyones doing decent.
Ethan
advertisement

Comments

• I have only had 2.5 weeks of this, but what is helping me a little is to try to keep to a schedule. Shower, breakfast, walk, rest. Lunch, walk, nap, TV., etc. That seems to help a little, if you are a person who is used to a schedule every day. Of course, after another month.. :S
  • PAT045 said:
    I have only had 2.5 weeks of this, but what is helping me a little is to try to keep to a schedule. Shower, breakfast, walk, rest. Lunch, walk, nap, TV., etc. That seems to help a little, if you are a person who is used to a schedule every day. Of course, after another month.. :S

I found out early on that if I didn't create a schedule for myself, I went nuts. I read somewhere that a shower is so utterly important to starting the day every day no matter what. I found it to be a real blessing to get up and shower as I started each day. I went through this for months at a time over the last 5 years. Being retired military, I too have the need to "keep to a strict schedule" ingrained in my soul. So when I have to "lay around and heal", I create a schedule based on that.

For instance, I would get up and make coffee and lay back down. After I had some coffee I would shower. Then I would make and eat a balanced breakfast and lay back down. Then I would get up for a walk and then lay back down. Then it was get up for lunch and lay back down. Then get up for a walk ....................

I had my laptop and also many DVD's to fill the time during the "lay back down". I also took a camera with me on my walks and took photos and appreciated the things around me.

Just stuff like that.

"C"
  • advertisement
  • I know what you guys are saying about the schedule, being in the army im used to a schedule begining early am till night, i try with some things ie, the coffee, and set walking times(though i cant get far..lol). I try to keep busy with my medical retirement as far as paperwork and whatnot but it just never seems enough even though i drag out 30 mis worth of items to 3 hours.lol
  • Your examples are always great!

Ethan,
    I googled things to do while recovering and the first website on the list happened to be this one. :) Perhaps one of the suggestions here will be helpful to you.

http://www.spine-health.com/blog/surgery/56-things-do-while-recovering-surgery

One Love,

Stephanie
  • That first month.........

- Starting the day with a shower - C, as usual, you are so right!

- Got active on this forum: Spent hours a day here back then.

- Watched endless episodes of Mythbusters, American Chopper, Overhaulin and heaps of Discovery channel nature programs.

- Started writing a book about my life; my back issues - when it all started, what I went through, the surgeries, the recovery, etc. It was fun at the time and pushed me to research a lot more about my conditions and treatments.

- Having a laptop is great if you can afford one, as you can do things on it while propped up in bed.

Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• advertisement
  • It was Soooooooo hard to be "good". oh my gosh. it's a miracle I didn't lose my sanity. I ended up with 3 surgeries in 7 weeks. (the first one being the fusion on July 9th, the last one Aug.21) and was in bed most of the time... with the exception of walking in my house or the 12 days in the hospital over those 7 weeks. it SUCKED bad. you have to do it, though. you DON"T want setbacks. be a good boy now and you will reap the rewards! I was told Monday I am fusing! wuhuu! seriously... you don't need any accidents. you don't need to twist, bend or lift to hurt even worse for hours. it's bad enough when you're good. trust us, it's even worse when you're bad!!!
  • G. said:
    It was Soooooooo hard to be "good". oh my gosh. it's a miracle I didn't lose my sanity. I ended up with 3 surgeries in 7 weeks. (the first one being the fusion on July 9th, the last one Aug.21) and was in bed most of the time... with the exception of walking in my house or the 12 days in the hospital over those 7 weeks. it SUCKED bad. you have to do it, though. you DON"T want setbacks. be a good boy now and you will reap the rewards! I was told Monday I am fusing! wuhuu! seriously... you don't need any accidents. you don't need to twist, bend or lift to hurt even worse for hours. it's bad enough when you're good. trust us, it's even worse when you're bad!!!
    At two weeks, I got so bored that I drove myself to the shopping mall - 20 minute drive. It hurt like heck driving there, hurt worse walking around there, was in agony driving back, and in a lot more pain the next day. Besides, I obviously drove while on heavy pain killers. Stupid stupid stupid thing to do. I learnt a very important lesson about patience that day. Not to mention the dangerous risk to myself and others of driving while impaired.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• bruce i like your idea about writing a book. I think with all the time on my hands i might write my own little book on m iraq experiences
  • Maybe write it for your kids (or a version for your kids) - when they are old enough to understand. I don't know what made me think of that, so hard to get those stories from my own family I suppose...
    Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
    May 2017 ALIF L4-L5 with PLF rods added L4-L5-S1
  • i had c1 c2 fusion twice and for the first five weeks i was to confined to bed. i was not allowed to sit up for more than an hour. walking was not an option. the extent of my exercise was repositioning in bed. (|:

u will get through it. keep active on this site. it really makes time fly by.

ps. . . .i just bought my son a nintendo DS. that is a major time killer and filler. get one!!
advertisement