Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Are Roller Coasters out of the question?

advertisement

Comments

• No Way! After cervical fusion there is no way I will ever go on any roller coaster again. Not even a kiddie one. No ride is worth it. I have been through a lot and don't want to go back.
  • I would say that if you have fully fused and fully recovered, and all other things being equal then why not? My surgeon has told me that those kinds of things are all OK for me to do again. Even playing golf, which I thought would be a no no with the twisting.

I think that the biggest issue for most of us is the psychological barrier tho. While I have fused and healed fully, and love roller coasters, I think that the psychological barrier - the thought of 'possibly somehow doing some damage' - would stop me from going on one.

We have had fusion patients here return to ride roller coasters, ride mountain bikes, surf, play golf, play soccer, so it is by no means out of the question - but, talk to your surgeon about it before attempting any of these again :)
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• advertisement
  • last time I rode a coaster was last Thanksgiving at Sea World in San Antonio. it was soooooo much fun and I hurt like hell the rest of the day. I thought that was probably my last coaster. :( but, when I'm totally fused, hmm... it will be tempting for sure! why not? I'd be solid! no rattling w/ bad discs! of course I will ask my doc. but, I'm thinking he'd say yes. :)
  • I asked my surgeon about any permanent restrictions after my fusion and he specifically said that after I was fully healed there would be no problem with riding roller costers, etc.

Now I am going to Disney the week before my surgery and I have decided that I will not be riding any of the big roller coasters while I am there. My back is just way to sensative right now. (Plus, my little one can't ride them so I can be the volunteer to do the kiddie rides with her.)
  • That I did here. Wow, lots of your like roller coasters! My daughter is 8 years old, and she is a bit of a thrill seeker. I have always loved coasters and SO want to be able to ride the really scary ones with her in a couple of years. I will speak with my Doc about this when the time comes.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • advertisement
  • I had a 2 level fusion l4-S1 Aug 2007. Since then, I have played golf, gone bowling, and ridden roller coasters before and after my hardware removal. The only rides that give me pause are the 4d rides where the floor or seat shakes widely and unpredictable (I still have pretty advanced arthritis that does not take kindly to that).

Go live your life, what will happen is going to happen.

Dave
  • thats what i am love to do things that juice me up (guess thats why i chose to serve in the military) i dont think ill be jumping out of any planes again but ill definetely try to get to the amusement parks or snowboarding. I dont want to stop being who i am because of my injuries and as soon as im able will resume all the things i love taking it easy at first of course..lol
  • I rode Kong at Marine Wrold in No. Calif. in 2002 and knew as soon sa I got off that something was wrong. What followed was two years of neck pain shoulderblade pain, then down my left arm. Lost my strength and could hardly open a bottle of water. I now have an artificial disc Level C5-6... I would never get on one again...A three minute ride would never be worth all the pain... :''(
  • I would think a lot of it would have to do with what type of fusion you had. With ALIF you have more surface space to fuse than with a PLIF, generally. Also, what kind of hardware you have in there along with you. For me, my hardware is easily felt inside and out. I don't think I'd be able to ride a rollercoaster, just because the shifting would irritate the areas around the screws. I know some people seem to not believe me when I say I can feel my screws from the outside, but I can, and my doctor said I can, too. And she operated on me, so.. Lol. So yeah, I think it depends on the person. I'm 22, so I don't know yet what I plan on doing. I am sure I will go to 6 flags next year, and if I am fused and not having problems with hardware, maybe I'll try the kiddie rollercoaster first, Lol. I had such a great experience post fusion that maybe I have a lot of confidence. I can't wait to see how things turn out, if they fuse well and everything. I hope you are able to continue most of the things you love after surgery :)
  • i grew up going to marine world im actually from vallejo california now stationed in kansas. man that brings back memories i used to love going to marine world..lol
advertisement