Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Hi, i am a newbie here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all

Glad i found this site, full of useful info. I thought i would say hello and introduce myself.
I am a 46 year old married to dave, who is very supportive. Have suffered back pain for about 6 year. The first 4 years i coped with it quite well, but the last two years have been a rough ride really.
I was admitted as an emergency last month, my GP (in the UK) thought i had symptoms of Cauda Equina. Whilst in hospital, they did MRI, turns out i have 2 bulging discs and severe spinal stenosis.
They sent me home after 2 nights and arranged for me to see surgeon.
Saw surgeon Thursday, they have told me about Cauda Eqina and signs to watch for, pretty scary really!
I have had a Pre Op Assessment and am going into have Dynesys stabilisation surgery in 2-3 weeks time.
I have always told myself i would not have back surgery but i really cannot cope with this pain any longer. I have not been to work for 6 weeks now.
I am doing some searching on this procedure, but cannot really find that much about it.
Has anyone here had this type of surgery, would be grateful for any information, good or bad!!
My surgeon has told me that there is a 96% success rate with it, will definately get rid of my leg pain, but cannot guarantee it will completely get rid of my back pain, but it will be relieved. I am going ahead with it though, although i am a little worried about the surgery itself

Thanks for reading




  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry to hear you may be facing surgery but i want to ask if you have gotten a second opinion? you sound all fired up and it is to your benefit to get more than one opinion. please start getting your questions together and ask away till you have no more. :? i was also wondering if you had tried any nerve pain medications for your sciatica? please be sure you have gone through every possibility before you head to the operating room. there is no going back from there. #:S good luck and please keep us informed as you progress. hold that understanding husband even closer to your heart. :X i have had one for almost 30 years and could never have made it through without his support!! talk to you soon! Jenny :)
  • Thanks for the welcome Jenny. This was my second opinion, the first consultant i saw 3 years ago referred me to physio but exercises just seemed to make it worse. I have seen Osteopath, Chiropractor, had Spinal Epidural and Facet joint injections, but nothing has helped :(

    this pain is really restricting my daily routine/chores etc. I know the risks with surgery, although i dont really want surgery, i feel i have no other option!

    I am 46, was up until recently very active, i enjoy walking my two dogs, which i can still do but it is an effort! I am keeping as mobile as i can.

    The sister at the hospital told me on Thursday that my surgeon a EDITED would not even consider an Op if he felt it would not help me, so i am feeling a bit better about that.

    Thanks again


    Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.
  • advertisement
  • :) :) Angie C, hi! i am sure you must have more confidence with a second opinion!! sometimes after trying everything surgery is the only solution left. be sure and do your homework!! i have 70# boxer/pit that i still try to walk every day. she is a handful though. i wish you the very best on your upcoming surgery!! i am here if you need me!! Jenny :)
  • There is someone here from the UK that has had this done. I have not seen her post in awhild. I will try and contact her for you. Good luck.
  • I hope everything goes well for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • Hi Angie,
    my name is Dawn and I hope you don't mind my asking but what are your cauda equina symptoms? It's just that I have some symptoms of cauda equina and I am tring to get my consultant to take me seriously. You see I have no further significant changes on my MRI and it is such a phaff getting things sorted out.
    I also live in England and my GP is great its just everything else. Good luck for your surgery.
    Best wishes
  • Thanks for your reply, i have been in touch with Kelly, she posts on here. Was about 2 weeks ago when she had her Dynesys surgery. I am following her daily blog. She is still in a lot of pain, but possibly due to the fact she had to have two Ops.

    I saw someone else the other day that had it done in the UK, but i cant find that post anymore, so will keep searching. Thank you

  • Hi Dawn

    The reason why my GP had me admitted a few weeks ago was the fact that my pain had worsened, my right buttocks had gone numb and and in mygroin area.

    They kept me in for two days and did tests,MRI etc, they did not think that i needed an emergency operation, but i would need to get something done pretty quick, so all they told me was to take it easy, if i were to lose control of my bowel or bladder then go straight to A & E.

    Have since seen the surgeon, but because he has been away from operating, (still consulting though) due to a severe injury to his arm, there is now a (pardon the pun) back log of people needing surgery. i asked to be referred to another surgeon, but his secretary told me that nearwhere i live, he is the only surgeon that can carry out 'Dynesys'.

    The nerve pain is getting worse, i have trouble straightening my back when i get up from sitting/laying. My right leg hurts most of the time, and have a numb bum! They do not consider this an emergency. But at the same time i am worried as i dont want it to get to that stage and then have to be admitted for emergency surgery.

    i will keep you all informed of my progress, and as soon as i have a date. I have aleady had the Pre Op Assessment last Thursday, where they did all the checks to make sure i am fit enough for the Anaesthetic, but i suppose will have to have that done again if they don't operate soon.

    take care everyone, hope you all have a good restful night!


  • Will let you know when i get my surgery date!

  • Hope your upcoming surgery is a success and you get great relief afterward! Good luck and take care of yourself!
Sign In or Register to comment.