Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Discogram on 12/3/08

advertisement

Comments

• Hey there,

I recently had a discogram on 10/9 and I have a high tolerance of pain. I am going to be honest, if there is an issue with you back...you will feel the pain. They normally give you an IV and give you some sedation I) meds...just enough to get you through it. It takes about 30-45 minutes depending on the patient and once you're done they will either give you a shot or meds through the IV to help you cope with the discomfort. I had to stay in recovery for 4 hrs and received a boxed lunch being that you can't eat the night after midnight the previous night. One thing I did like about the test is it will give you answers. I had a normal MRI and Myelogram prior to my Discogram...I wish you all the best =D>
  • You might ask your doc if the pain patch (Fentanyl) would be an option for you. I think they are not very expensive. I'm lucky that I only pay $5 for a month's supply. The thing is, they last three days. Since you don't have to worry about taking dose after dose after dose, like the pills, you actually stay pain free longer. I found the patches to be very liberating.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • advertisement
  • just wishing you the best of luck. i have never had one so can't offer advice on that ;)

depending on what they use in your IV you should be fine. ;)

plan on sleeping the afternoon/night away I) hopefully you will not wake up in to much discomfort the next day >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

• I tried the fentanyl patch, made me sick. I won't be having any of that.

I'm still waiting on my doctor to call me back. I should have just called the main number and left a call back message, instead I called the nurse's direct number and left a message there. But my doctor covers at least 3 different medical offices (it's a big practice with multiple offices), as well as 2 surgery centers. So who knows when the nurse will be back in that office. My pain is getting bad again, so I think I will call the main number - now - and leave a call back message. Maybe they will get it sooner that way.
  • I will try to get back on here after the procedure. Hopefully I will be feeling up to it, by the next day.

Good luck on yours too. I guess you're hoping that the L3/L4 is not involved, so you can go ahead with the ALIF? What did he say would happen in the L3/L4 is involved?
  • advertisement
  • I am switching back to the oxycodone-APAP, but at double the dose (2 x 5mg/325mg = 10mg; 4 times/day). Before I was taking 20mg/day total, now it will be 40mg/day. When I need a refill I will go to 10mg/325mg pills, so I won't get too much Tylenol (even taking 8 pills of the 5/325, it's still below the upper limit, but I'd like to keep it on the lower side - even though my doc said the Tylenol isn't bad for my issues).

I hope that is enough to keep my pain level at or below 2 (annoying). That's instead of the average 4 (uncomfortable) where I've been.

So, that $50 for 30 pills of Opana is now for naught. :<
    I need to return the unused pills, the next time I visit the office.

I can't think about the money, just the pain relief (that had better start soon).
  • treefrog said:
    I guess you're hoping that the L3/L4 is not involved, so you can go ahead with the ALIF? What did he say would happen in the L3/L4 is involved?
    He didn't say. I guess we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Good luck with your disco, too!
  • Discograms are painful. There's no point lying about it. I had mine last May before my surgery in June. I remember the whole thing even though the doctor had sedated me and said I wouldnt remember any of it. I remember him poking me and asking me if this hurt and it that hurt. When he finally hit the damaged disk I almost went through the roof, my whole body stiffened up and I started screaming and crying in pain. They gave me something to lessen the pain almost immediately...that's the good thing.
    They need to recreate your worst pain in order to find the bad disk to know which one to operate on. It's a really excellent procedure.
    Dont worry, they wont let you be in pain for any longer than you need to be.

Good luck and god bless,
    Christina =)
  • I think it must vary greatly depending on your administrating Dr. I had mine 2 weeks ago and was very scared.
    I didn't think the needle part hurt at all but as he released the dye/pressure into the disk it got uncomfortable and felt very full w/ pressure. My bad pain did not start untill the needle was withdrawn & I tried to move. I found I couldnt get up from the table because of the pain & they promptly gave me Fentynol in my IV. they then walked me to a recovery area & because of my pain level they gave me more. I was in "recovery" for about 45 minutes & then released w/ a Rx. I was "down" for about 4 days before I was able to function normally.
    My Dr. does not give any sedation and i had to stop pain medication 12 hrs prior to the test.
    My main point is, the test was not as bad as I expected. Maybe because I frequently have Epidural Steriod Injections and I am used to that process..he did say the discogram needle is smaller than an epidural.
  • I am hoping this will be a really good test, give the doc some useful information, and hopefully lead to an action plan to alleviate my pain.

I ended up back on the Opana, at a higher dose. That seems to be working fairly well, as long as I don't exert myself at all. Which means that I am still not functioning any where near normal. So, even though my pain is better controlled, it still isn't good enough. I mean what's the point if I still can't do my job properly, clean my house, or do anything socially.

Well, I am making the effort tonight to be social. My workplace is having our holiday party/dinner tonight. I did allow myself to come into work later, just so I would make it through the evening. But it will be a nice little reprieve before the discogram tomorrow, something to keep my mind off the procedure for a while.

Endymion, I will try really hard to get back here to let you know how it went. I have a laptop now, so I should be able to get on.
    Cheers.
advertisement