Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL IN SEVERE PAIN

KARMAGIRLKKARMAGIRL Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I WAS RELEASED THE DAY AFTER SURGERY, EVEN THOUGH I WAS A HIGH FALL RISK, I HAD SUFFERED SEVERELY FROM THE MOMENT THEY WOKE ME UP AFTER SURGERY, I DID NOT SLEEP A WINK THAT NIGHT. NO PAIN KILLERS TOUCHED THIS PAIN!! I REALLY FELT LIKE I WAS HIT BY A MASSIVE TRUCK, AND STRUCK BY LIGHTNING ALL IN ONE DAY. I HAD 2 DISC REMOVED 4-5 5-6 AND FUSION WITH BONE FROM BANK AND I WAS TOLD THIS SURGERY WAS PROBABLY GOING TO GIVE ME RELIEF RIGHT AWAY BECAUSE THE PRESSURE ON THE NERVES WAS BEING TAKEN OFF, THAT IS THE ONLY REASON I WENT AHEAD WITH THIS, AFTER 10 YEARS OF PAIN!! I LEFT THE HOSPITAL IN UNBEARABLE PAIN, BUT THOUGHT OH WELL MAYBE I WILL BE ABLE TO SLEEP IN MY OWN BED, NOT!! ANYWAY I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE FELT THEY WERE RUSHED OUT WAY TOO SOON, EVEN IF U REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO BE THERE. 1 DAY FOR ME WAS JUST CRAZY!!
advertisement

Comments

• wow Can you call your surgeon to let him know the pain your having and get a stronger med or Ativan to help you. Do you have someone to help you at home? Take care of yourself. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You really need to get in touch with your surgeon and get either some stronger meds if you can or be re-admitted to hospital. 2 days in hospital for a 2 level fusion is not much at all.

Did they even get a chance to go through everything with you as to what you can or cant do? Di they ensure your bowels were working etc.

I get the feeling that you need to start shouting a bit and not be complacent about it.

sending you prayers and blessings Sara O:)
  • advertisement
  • I had the same surgery done 2.5 weeks ago and it did immediately release the nerve and stop the pain, so they didn't lie to you there....something else is going on. You need to call the surgeon immediately.
  • Yep

I had a 4-level PLIF L2 thru S1.

In the hospital I was constipated, impaired and could not sleep so I begged to go home. I had pain but the sciatica was gone. I would raise hell if I were you.

Harry

• sorry your in so much pain. >:D<
    you did not mention was it cervical or the lumbar spine??
    you just mentioned what disks.

call your dr!!! or call a ambulance to bring you to the E.R where your surgery was. your best bet would be the ambulance as you will be laying flat. they can start IV fluids etc/mabye something for pain relief and you won't havve to wait in the waiting area.
    demand you be seen or readmitted. i can tell how much pain your in just by the way your writing.

please let us know how you make out hun >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • advertisement
  • AND SCREAAMMMMMMMM! I would. Or please take Terri's advice and call an ambulance. Any surgery is painful but you SHOULD NOT be in that much pain. Your doctor should have given you something to keep you much more comfortable. I hate insurancce companies as they are usually the culprits that determine when we are "well enough to be released". I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. >:D<
  • Sounds like negligent doctors to me. You should NOT be released from the hospital the day after a fusion, and you also are not supposed to be released until they know your pain is under control with oral medications. They sent me home with Dilaudid pills and Valium 3 times a day for the first 2 weeks. My roommate was sent home with the Fentanyl patch cause she raised hell & was a baby. Lol.
  • Please be careful when saying that someone is negligent.

Also there are many people who are released the following day after a fusion without any problems. It depends upon the patient, the procedure and the physician.

It sounds like karmagirl from her initial post, consented to leaving the hospital when she did even though she was in incredible pain.

Karmagirl,

I'm sorry that you are hurting so much, but the others are right, if you can't get in touch with your surgeon then go to the ER and have them get your pain under control and they will contact your surgeon.

"C"
  • I don't need to be careful when speaking in a generalized manner and saying it SOUNDS like. I didn't accuse any specific person or doctor or anyone of being negligent.... So don't worry about what I say.

Maybe she did consent, but not everyone knows they can contest, NOR does everyone know that you have the right to put your foot down and seriously demand your doctor do SOMETHING for you. Some people are not good with confrontation, some people are trusting their doctor, and others, LIKE SHE SAID, thought they will feel better when they get home.

I never claimed to give medical advice, I do however give my opinion, considering that's what the forum is for... And in my opinion, releasing someone the day after a fusion is negligent. MY OPINION. Period. After all the doctors I have seen, Orthopedic and Neuros, all the research I have done for two years, it is my own conclusion that I have every right to draw.

Everyone here is speaking from their personal experience, or their personal opinion. Unless someone specifically states they are a doctor, then I don't think anyone has the right to attack the personal opinion of another. So I'd appreciate it if you answer her question, not pick apart my response. Thanks.
  • Please call your doctor Karmagirl, tell them you need help!

I had a one level lumbar fusion and was in the hospital for 5 days, PCA for 2 days, and catheter for 3 days. Yeaks, I couldnt imagine myself going home the next day. I was ready by the forth day, but he said to just get one more day since I would be home alone during the day.

It is all based on your surgeouns preferences, procedure and pre surgery condition as well. No two poeple will be the same. Did you have any PT before your left the hospital? They should teach you to safely log roll, get up and down, steps with the least ammount of pain. I really needed help for all of those transfers for the first 3 days.

Keep us posted.
    Hugs,
    Shell
advertisement