Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Do discectomies help lower back pain or just nerve and leg pain?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have bad pain in my lower back and pain and numbness in my leg. The pain and numbness in the leg is gone, but the back pain is still here. It has been nearly six months since the initial injury from lifting incorrectly. Now everytime I do anything active my back kills the next day. My MRI shows a protrusion between the L4 and the L5. I have done the routine of PT and steroid injections to no avail.

Would a discectomy help my lower back pain and allow me to return to contact sports, or do they just relieve nerve and leg pain?

D.Coombs
advertisement

Comments

• I had one last december and have found that it has only helped my leg and hip pain. However, mine was done due to an annular tare. I have arthritis in my facet joints so am not sure if it would be the same for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I was also wondering this because I also have severe leg pain in both legs and back pain. Right now it feels like a stabbing pain :T . I also get pain in my knees.
  • advertisement
  • I also have pain in my knees but it is from arthritic knees.
    Heidi, Is the pain in your knees in the joint or nerves? Can you tell?
  • I also have painful knees too, alot. My husband had a spinal fusion a year ago, and his knees actually swell up. His knees kill him.

I am not sure why my knees hurt also?! It is so weird, all of these pains :|
  • Discectomies and Decompressions are strictly for leg/nerve pain. Most people with back pain require fusions.
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.