Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Three level disc replacement

Comments

• it's because I look so young in my photo, but I realise I haven't put a photo up here yet!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    janey, Hello from California,
    I had bad back issues since 1989 And tried to hold off surgery until technology made a adr with cushion so it wouldn't take out the adjacent discs. I didn't make it! Had a three level fusion of L-4,5,&s1. And 1 year later L-3 went. Now L-2, L-1, T-12,& T-11 are all bulging! And if I fuse those, what next, all the way up to my Head???
    Is the technology here? I don't Know. But it should be. It should have been here a long time ago. You sound determined. Please keep us informed of your progress. If you go this way and if not, tell us why.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • advertisement
  • I'm not sure if the technology is here or not, but I'm literally risking my home, my business and my health that it is! I'm definitely going ahead with it, not because I'm foolhardy but because the only two choices I have are to stay as I am (not an option) or risk this experimental surgery.

If this is something you wanted to look into I can give you the name of my surgeon (I'm pretty sure he's the only one in the UK that does this procedure) and there is a guy in Germany who does it also. But it is still in its infancy.

But then, so was every other form of surgery at some stage!
  • Janey said:
    But it is still in its infancy.

But then, so was every other form of surgery at some stage!
    You are quite right there and I am sure this will go well for you, you just need to keep a positive attitude and let go of any fears- they dont serve you!

I had a hip replacement at 15yrs old. All hips were experimental back then but for my age was unheard of. The thing lasted me 30 years and I am so grateful that my parents and the Dr went ahead with it when everyone said I was too young. It changed my life.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • I've only heard of three-level replacements being done in Germany. I wish you the very best. I am having a three-level fusion done on Wednesday. Yes, I have been told that it can make the levels above fail eventually, but at this point, it's my only option other than to sit quietly in the corner like a pile of mush and quit living my life. I can't accept that, so I'm going for the fusion, followed by lots of physical therapy and personal exercises to try and get at least another five to ten years of life out of my back. I'm 54 and was planning (until the stock market tanked) on retiring next year. I want to be able to enjoy part of my freedome before I give up on physical activities.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • advertisement
  • This is a great forum, because people really understand the quandary you're in. Over here many people think I'm daft for even contemplating this surgery (including a number of qualified medical people), but unless they have a clue what living with constant pain, and the impact it has on every single aspect of your life has, they have no idea.

On this forum we're all facing scary surgery, or dealing with it afterwards, and it really helps to know you're not alone. Although it would have been great to find someone who's had three level replacement (well, maybe only if it was successful!)
  • Janey- Everyone has their opinion. Do what is best for you and your life.

This web site adrsupport.com has a lot of members who have adrs. There is a person who has three level adr in the cervical region. There is also another person who has two adrs in the cervical and two in the lumbar. All got their adrs in Germany.

I hope everything works out for you. Keep in touch and let us know how it works out for you.

If three adrs are to many. Have they consider a fusion and two adrs? Just a thought.

Best Wishes and a lot of prayers,
    Clarissa
  • I don't know why he didn't suggest two ADRs and a fusion - I know he does those, because someone else on this site had that done with the same surgeon. I just know that every surgeon I've spoken to has told me not to have a fusion - not sure why.

Thanks for the pointer to the German website - it's great to know that there are other surgeons out there doing multi level ADRs too. I can't pretend I'm more than a little nervous!
  • Janey- Just an assumption on the three level fusion. Maybe the stress on the disc above and below are is just going to be too much and not worth it. Good question to ask your Dr next time you see him.

This is a big deal. It is normal for you to be nervous. The what ifs and the maybes.Try not to stress to much your body will take a longer time to heal. Take good care of yourself now so that it will be as healthy as possible when you get your surgery. Look into relaxation techniques. Those help a lot.

I hope that everything goes well for you. I would check those Drs out in Germany and see how much experience they have with multi level disc replacement. It might even come out cheaper for you considering the pound is worth more than the euro right now.

I really am rooting for you. Best Wishes and a lot of prayers,
    Clarissa
  • What if they fuse the middle, and put an ADR on each surrounding disc? Would that be the way they'd do it, in a case where they combine fusion and ADR? Then it couldn't put any stress on the surrounding discs, because the surrounding discs would be ADRs. I dunno. Shot in the dark here. Lol. Just curious.
advertisement