I'm 4mos postop from ALIF L4/L5 and have started having increased pain. I've not really been out of pain, but the past 2 to 3 weeks has been worse, more sharp. Had all the tests again, MRI, Myelo, CT and NS says it's just the fact that I'm not fusing and there's too much movement in the vertebras. One of my cages has moved too and pushed some disc material out into the spinal canal.
I have 2 options....to have a 2nd surgery to add screws/rods in posteriorly to tighten down things or to wear a bone growth stimulator and wait out the fusion process.
I'm trying to set up a 2nd option appt today with a different NS.
But I wondered if anyone has been thru this and what did you do? Seems like everyone has either had a PLIF or ALIF both with extra hardware. I'm with cages only. Do you think my NS is worried that I will say he didn't do enough? He's being very nonchalant like he sees this everyday and of course, I'm frustrated and in pain.
I'm really leaning towards having the 2nd surgery but have read you guys posts about posterior surgery taking 12 weeks or more to recover.