Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

advice please

shirleysshirley Posts: 201
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Pain Management
started physio on wed, cried with pain most of the time i was there and for most of the day. saw my gp yesterday for pain relief. asked if i could have injections, told me to ask my physio. didnt understand why he said that so asked if i could be referred to pain management was told again to ask my physio. he printed off a letter from spine specialist at hospital that said i could be considered for surgery if the physio does not help. he admitted he did not know what was wrong with me but because it was a long word he said it sounded painful. ~X( feel like im going round in circles. no one listens. no one cares. physio told me to get pain relief from my gp. he has given me tramadol slow release will see how i get on with them.was taking normal tramadol but had sleep problems etc. he didnt know what to give me asked me what i thought he should try. all i want is some advice as to who i should talk to about trying other pain relief other than drugs. sorry to moan


  • Shirley. I hsd exactly the same diagnosis that you hsve. Physicsl thersapy was recommended to me, but, like you I just irritated my L5 nerve even more, Unfortunately, I think this problem is way beyond the scope of your GPs training. Whenever I asked my internist for advise she would respond by saying she really had know idea. Do, I don't think your GP is being uncooperative. Are you in an HMO? Do you need to have a referral? If so, you must already have been referred to a spinal surgeon, ask him or her to refer you to a physiatrist who specializes in spinal issues. That's who would give you injections, work with your P.T and, generally do everything that can be done short of surgery. Hopes this helps. Susan
  • sorry your suffering >:D< >:D<
    is it spondylolisthesis OR spondylolysis??
    both can be very painful due to the grade of it.
    i agree with stockbroker, our gp's that is not their scope of practice so there is only so much they can do in that direction.
    you said a spine specilaist faxed over a report saying
    "you could be a candidate for surgery if phsycio does not work"
    have you spoken to this spine specilist??
    i would get an appt if you can and are able. they will lead you from the point you are at now. in my personal opinion you do not want to cause yourself more pain.

    here is a bit of my story i will try to make it short.
    i had it spondylolisthesis at S1 we did pain managment (long acting meds) and a ESI injection. neither one worked for like 8 months. i gave up on that and contacted a orthopedic surgeon who is a spine specialist as we all know they all specilize in different areas of the skeletil system.
    i had a fusion surgery. not saying that is a cure or that is what you need to do.
    i just wanted to let you know it helped my pain ALOT. yes i will not lie i still get a deep ache here and there, not all perfect but better then it was. i got a 60 percent chance it would help and ran with it.
    that of course is not a option for everyone. but since a specialist already read your report and recomended it, i would go see them. and always when a dr mentions surgery and you are not familiar with this dr or know his background always get 2 opinions if it allows due to money or insurance.

    here is a link for you to look at:

    this link is for both spondylolithesis and spondylolysis 2 separate conditions.

    hang in there!! alot of us have been where you are right now!!!
    we are here to support you in anyway we can!! >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • advertisement
  • i have spondylolisthesis at l5 s1 grade 1. also have (scheurmanns type changes)higher up my back. spoke to physio today she said she will write to my gp explaining what is wrong with me in plain english, and said its not up to her if i can have injections etc. she has made me an appointment on 24 of this month to talk about my concerns. spine specialist does not want to see me until i have finished the physio in january. have to wait and see what happens in the mean time.wont even put me on list for mri. i live in uk and everything takes months. just have to plod on i guess. thanks again for info
  • what is HMO? saw that in a post but have no idea what it is
  • You can find a pain clinic yourself and have your Dr. send the referral from the place you picked. You can even check pain management Doctors online. It's hard to understand how your Dr. wants pt to refer you.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.