Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Radio Frequency (RF) Procedure

abenakiaabenaki Posts: 76
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
Anyone out there had and RF procedure done? I have lower back pain, bulging discs, degenerative disc disease and several vertabre injuries. I want to put off surgery for a bit since I have had neck fusion this summer as well as an ankle fusion. My doc recommends RF for my lower back. He said it should keep the pain at bay for a good 16 months which sounds like heaven to me. If you have had this done, what has been your experience with it?

Thanks. Gary
advertisement

Comments

• I had it done in januiary of 2008,in my lower back,it took about one month,for the nerves to die,it lasted about 10 months....
  • i have just had the radiofrequency done 2 days ago, i have it done on my lower back, i used to have it on just the right side but this time i had to have it done on both sides.

i wish i could say that it is not a painful procedure but i cant, it is quite painful and it took about 2 hours to do all 4 injections. when they get to the nerve they put some local anesthetic in it so when they burn it away, u cant feel a thing.

i have had them done 3 times now (once a year) and it lasts between 4-6 months with me, but everyone is different. i would definatly give it a try, u will never know if u dont. it does take some time to recover because u ache from where u have been poked and prodded!!

hope u make the decision thats right for u but u do get pain relief for the time that it lasts.

hope this helps.

nicky.
  • advertisement
  • thanks for the responses thus far. It sounds like it is exactly what the doctor said with results lasting about as long as I figured. Glad it works because getting rid of some pain is better than not!
  • I had radio frequency diagnosis injection and found this to be of no help. Did they offer the diagnosis injection before going along with the procedure? You may want to look into that first.
  • All three were L2 to S1 and SI joints, and one of those three also included segments of my C and T spine.

The first two lumbar rhizotomies only gave me relief for four to six weeks, but it was GOOD relief. The third rhizotomy, in October of last year, gave me about six months of relief with my neck and lumbar areas, but really stirred up my t-spine, and I'm still suffering with that.

I would do another one in a heartbeat if I had no other options; some people have success and some don't. If you do a search at the top of the Spine Health page (NOT the Google slot) for rhizotomy or radiofrequency, you'll see a few other links that will give you some feedback.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tracy
  • advertisement
  • Ok I have a question on this..
    I have read all the information on this but it does not specify if you have to have had a fusion done before they will consider it. Does anyone know if so? We have been through Chiro, PT, PM, Surgerys (2) which have not helped, Injections ( 2 different types) which did not help neither. Any info on this would be helpful.

And also, do any of you regret doing this procedure or would you recommend it to someone that has constant pain and gets no relief with anything. ( pain meds, procedures, surgery, PT, Chiro, MT) Thanks, Kelli
  • Kellih25 said:
    Ok I have a question on this..
    I have read all the information on this but it does not specify if you have to have had a fusion done before they will consider it. Does anyone know if so? We have been through Chiro, PT, PM, Surgerys (2) which have not helped, Injections ( 2 different types) which did not help neither. Any info on this would be helpful.

And also, do any of you regret doing this procedure or would you recommend it to someone that has constant pain and gets no relief with anything. ( pain meds, procedures, surgery, PT, Chiro, MT) Thanks, Kelli
    You do not have to have a fusion done before you have it done,i had it done to avoid surgery,i did not regret having it done
  • Oh thank you for responding. I have posted my story under horrific back pain and no answers. Please help.

How has it helped you physically? How was the relief of the pain and lenght of it?
  • Kellih25 said:
    Oh thank you for responding. I have posted my story under horrific back pain and no answers. Please help.

How has it helped you physically? How was the relief of the pain and lenght of it?
    it lasted about a year,my disc is worse than it was a year ago...
  • So do you think that because you got the procedure done it made it worse? Or do you think it would have gotten there anyhow?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.