Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Fusion...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
deleted...
advertisement

Comments

• I am so sorry this happened to you. Were you not concerned when you didn't have a CT scan in the first 12 months to see if fusion had taken? Most Drs order several in the first year from what I understand.

Now I wouldn't usually advocate this but you need to get all you paperwork together, get all your op notes from the hospital as well.Then you need to write a diary of all that has tranpired from when you first met this surgeon.
    Get copies of all your notes, reports and costings and then go see a laywer.
    If you need to have this surgery revised then the original surgeon at least should pick up the tab for it!

I can understand your anger completely and you have every right to be angry, but try to do something constructive with it when you have let the lid off the steam.
    Why the 3 incision? For grafting?

Blessings and gentle hugs Sara O:)
  • Wow. I'm sorry you had such a horrible traumatic experience. Doctors like that should not be allowed near human beings, or even animals.

I would definitely get everything together and speak with a lawyer. You can be left with PERMANENT life altering damage that most definitely could have been avoided had he done his job correctly. I don't know the specifics, so I can't say this with 100 percent certainty, but it sounds like negligence to me. (Nobody throw a hissy fit, I said SOUNDS like it to ME.) You deserve something for having been put through all that.... You really do. And honestly, maybe him being sued might make him wake up and he may, if he gets to keep his license, pay more attention next time.

I'm sorry :( I hope they find a solution that makes things as comfortable as possible for you. It's hard being a mom and dealing with back pain on top of that. Especially when they're that young, and in a situation like yours!
  • advertisement
  • i am sorry u are having all ofthese problems. i wish youluck in finding a solution to your situation. u may want to consider another opinion from an additional ns. what i do when searching for doctor opinions is to not offer alot of info until i get the specific info from the doctor. this way i know he has only formed an opinion based on test results only. i will then ask for options from the doctor. i will pray for you to have a sucessful solution.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. WOW! i can understand why you are so upset!! ~X( that is what we are here for! i hope in the day you get a chance to give your wife hugs. you need them to, very gently!! >:D< take care of yourself and good luck! Jenny :)
  • I am not one who believes in lawsuits unless they actually have merit...that being said, you should clean this guy's clock! What a MORON with a capital "M". With all the technology in the operating room, and the meticulous step by step procedures they are supposed to take to ensure this doesn't happen, I think it is down right criminal.

Not only should you seek legal counsel, I think you should file a complaint with the hospital where the procedure was performed and file a complaint with the State Board of Medical Licensure. Hit this guy from every angle.

It would be one thing if he was upfront and honest by admitting he made a mistake. But, to cover it up makes it that much worse.

I wish you the best!

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
  • Hi and welcome to spine health. :H
    Sorry its under these circumstances.
    We are here to support you through the worst of your days.
    Your not alone by a long run.

Now my opinion only most Drs will not even touch a disk once inside if there is not that much damage or no damage at all. Yes there have been cases where a Dr gets in there and finds more damage then what was found on a MRI or Ct scan or explained to you. BUT they will also tell you that before even entering surgery. That there is that possibility. From what your saying, I take that was never even talked about.

I have to totally agree with some of the statments above. :B

I also have never heard of 3 incisions. In a Anterior and Posterior approach yes. Which is a 360 fusion. But just a posterior? Min avvasive surgery they may make 2-3 incisions as its done laproscopic. But from what I am understanding you did not have either one of these.

Get your ducks in a row and go from there. Hopefully there is a Dr out there that can fix the issue.
    I just had a revision surgery as I did not fuse due to completly different medical issues going on right now.
    And I don't feel to bad. ;)
    You will be in my thoughts that this can all be fixed!!!!

Also another suggestion. Is there a pain managment Dr around you that practices long term pain medication?? Some only do treatments as in injections. The other half long acting meds.
    I am on 10mg hydrocodone/350mg soma/10mg valium I could not imagine just taking 3 norco a day for your type of pain. Again just my personal opinion.

(ALL INFORMATION I give is strictly personal and not medical)

Hang in there buddy!! I have kids so I totally relate to where your coming from. O:) O:) O:) O:) O:)
  • believe it or not but there actually is someone else on this site that had a wrong level fused also.

s%$t happens. unfortunately it is happening to you. however, this surgeon needs a repeat course on the skeletal body. :B or some of those.
  • There are medical boards that this doctor needs to be reported to in your state. I know hind sight is 20/20 but that's exactly why my doctor did an MRI to be absolutely sure he was going to be working on the right disc. This doctor does need to be reported immediately. He doesn't need to be cutting open anymore patients and unfortunately a lawsuit wouldn't be enough to stop him. But a board review would.
    Believe me! Enough marks in his record and his license to practice medicine would be pulled out from under him. I would be just as mad as you if I found that out! Oh Lord you shouldn't have to go through pain for that long before somebody figures out this doctor screwed up royally!
    Then after you've reported him you might should call a lawyer and consider sueing him for malpractice and make him pay for all of your future medical expenses because of his botched surgery. I know I sure as heck would!
  • There is a post under back surgery I think where a doctor actually left an instrument in this person and then kept telling that patient that he was just fine and things were going along fine. Then he went to another doc and they did an X Ray and found the instrument! That's why I suggested you report him first. Doctor's get sued all the time for all kinds of things. Not sure how the board views lawsuits against doctors but if it comes straight out of your mouth it will carry some weight. That I do know.
    And also.... Do you have a copy of all of your medical records? If not I would get every single one of them and have them in my possession. Some doctors and hospitals charge for them if they aren't going to be sent to another doctor or hospital but I think you'll find the expense worth it when you talk to a lawyer.
  • We need to remember that surgeons are human (not machines) and mistakes do happen but it is when they are reckless you have a case (thats my opinion btw)so an honest mis judged opinion may not get far if you were to complain.

So, as long as you have undisputed proof that L4 was good then I agree with the others and make a formal compliant to the hospital about this surgeon and his level of care. Like Angleback says, keep copies of everythng.

The ongoing pain I hope will become resloved when they do the revision. Is why they think you are still in pain? - non union?
    What is Cadaver bone (sorry)- you say it has grown onto your nerve roots...this may be a problem too.
    I wish you well.
advertisement