Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ANYONE ON THIS SITE BOTHERED BY PEOPLE TYPING IN CAPS

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Chronic Pain
JUST HAD A COMMENT ON A POST HAPPY ABOUT MY MRI APPROVAL AND SEEING MY NUEROSURGEON AND SOMEONE REPLIED I AM YELLING? I JUST CAN SEE BETTER WHEN IM TYPING IN CAPS ON MY LAPTOP. NOT YELLING AT ALL. JUST WONDERING SINCE SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT IT IN MY OTHER POST. DOES IT OFFEND ANYONE? SORRY IF IT DID... DIDNT THINK IT MATTERED HERE, WHO HAS TIME FOR GRAMMAR AND COMPUTER TERMINOLOGY WHEN WE CAN BARELY SIT AT THE COMPUTER TO ENJOY A FORUM LIKE SPINE HEALTH!WE ARE ALL IN PAIN SO I THOUGHT IT WOULDNT MATTER HOW WE TYPED. WONDERING WHAT OTHERS THINK? THANKS ALL

SINCERELY,
DAWN
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Dawn,

No problem here with the caps. It does make it a bit harder for me to read, but I really don't care that much.

If it makes it easier for you then do it. Maybe start your posts with the disclaimer " I'm not yelling!" or something.

Sorry sbout your pain, I know it stinks. It makes even the simple things like brushing your teeth an experiment in he!!
    Keep good thoughts and here's to a painfree night. 8}

• this does not bother me, but perhaps afew things could be done to ease the situation
    --be more tolerant of each others comments--pain can make us all touchy
    --perhaps make a note in your stats that all caps is a adaptation you use to still be able to come and talk with us.

ok lost train of thought--meds....
    ......to be continued when i remember what i want to say
  • advertisement

• Common internet etiquette is that all caps is like yelling but, if it makes it easier for you then go ahead.Some may choose not to reply or read, thats the only bummer.It bugs me at times, but it does not offend.
  • It does bother me! However, after reading your explanation I do understand. It makes it hard for me to read and is akin to those posts that use a hundred emotioncons....those are hard to read as well. I'm a grammar snob and actually spell out and punctuate in emails and text messages, how sick is that? My daughter has inherited my problem and her friends think she's strange because, for her, before isn't spelled "B4".

Apparently my pain makes me intolerant, hahaha!

We all have to do what we need to get along on our journey. Caps aren't that big of a deal in the long run.

Griff
  • at all. Especially since you are not using angry words. I don't see how anyone would think that you are yelling. We all do what we must in order to function and get by.
  • advertisement
  • I used to type in all caps because it made it so much easier to type. I didn't have to hold down the shift key to start a new sentence. Then, someone PM'd me that I was yelling at them. I asked around my office and was told that using caps did indicate yelling but usually in such a way that one were typing several sentences in lower case and then came a few words that were capitalized. One would then understand those capitalized words to be "yelling". This PM to me kinda hurt my feelings, actually but I just stopped typing in caps and started making a lot more typpos. (There's one now.) When you think about it...with all of us here being overly sensitive due to our pain, I think we're doing an amazing job maintaining a forum. (Thats just a little joke there on the end.)
  • :T
    Surely people can understand, go ahead and type anyway you like. As I am sure everyone can understand what pain and trying to type means. Somedays are easier than others.

>:D<
  • BUT (lol!) it is only cos it makes it hard to read,

PERHAPS IF YOU DOUBLE SPACE IT WILL MAKE IT EASIER??

JUST A THOUGHT ?? ??

BUT YOU DO WHAT SUITS YA BEST!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,349
    As it was mentioned, typing in all CAPITALS is considered to show anger and yelling. Personally, I find reading something in all capital letters is much harder to read. Plus when normal case is used, when you need to emphasis something, you can put in CAPS or Colors.
    Since it is more of a medical situation with you, I see no harm in continuing typing in all CAPS. But you might want to consider changing the text size while you are in an Internet Browser. You will see less per page, but typing even in mixed case will be so much easier.

In Mozilla Firefox, you can go to the VIEW tab and use the ZOOM In function to make text larger

In Microsoft Explorer, still go to VIEW, but this type you can select the Text sizes.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I actually find typing in all caps to be exceptionally irritating and don't normally read or respond to posts written that way. Back in the dark ages of dial-in BBS systems, typing in all caps was considered disrespectful. Just about every other Internet relic I know personally will agree that a single word in all caps serves as emphasis, but an entire post of it comes across the screen like you're getting up in someone's face and screaming at them.

I think if it's a vision issue, it would make more sense to use the accessibility options available in most computer operating systems. After all, if it's such a challenge to read your own posts, then how much are you straining yourself in order to reading others' lower case posts? Even on a low volume board, you can generally expect to read 50-75 posts for every 1 post you type. There's ratio there that confuses me when vision difficulty is used as a justification for all-cap typing.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.