Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Lumbar TLIF Fusion - post 13 days Feeling great

kadarokkadaro Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
Here is an update about my surgery...
on Nov 10 I had a 2 level TLIF, with inserts, wedges, rods and screws for my S1-L5-L4. In addition, he peformed a lamadectomy of the same.

It started off a bit scary but turned into a success....so far....If your looking for good feedback ....read on.

I spent 6 hours on the table instead of the expected 3-4 hours. Doctor said I had significant scar tissue, attached to the area and spinal cord which is from the previous microdiscectomy a few years back. He spent much time cleaning up the scar tissue and confirming all the nerves from the area where not impeded by anything. The nerve doc worked alongside him to test as they went.

He had found more than the MRI and Cat scans showed. Because of my PARS Defect at L5, the 3 levels at S1-L5-L4 were each doing their own 3 thing. Each one was twisting, or shifted in slightly different directions. Doc said I had to be walking in extreme pain and couldn't imaging I survived day to day on Advil and an occassional Vicodin; never mind walking.

As per norm, my eyes were taped shut during the procedure, and from the dryness, puffy ness from the anesthesia, and being suspended face/head down for the procedure....Something, (perhaps an eyelash) dried up inside the eyelid and scratched me slightly upon waking. I woke up with extreme sensitivity to light and had to have an eye doc visit my bedside for eye suave, antibiotic drops and artificial tears.
    Suggestion, ask your surgeon to put some eye suave into your eyes before your procedure.
      I woke up pretty comfortable in the back, but flailing around because of the eye thing. Dam hoses, tubes, and difficult to reach bed controls!!! I caught/broke 4 IV's during this episode....I made good use/timing of the morphine pump because I wanted to stay comfortable. The back pain was very different...but seems to be a good thing.12 hours later, I did a test run with the PT staff, standing and moving from the bed to a wheelchair =D> 24 hrs later I was freed from the catheter and drain. I was walking the halls, using the walls/rail for stability! My legs are now waking up with tons of sensory input of which they were starved for at least 2 years. One leg/foot has much numbness...but improving...the other thigh lights up like the 4th of July with fireworks of pins and needles like you never felt before. This sensory input is normal and sometimes pleasant or very uncomfortable. Doc prescribed Lyrica to control it some. Most of my previous pain seems to be gone....yes gone! Now I have surgical/wound pain and can feel some of the soreness around my hardware/screws. Vicodins every 4 hours are my friend to say the least...but I've tappered off progressively so far. The BED MATRESS QUALITY IS MOST IMPORTANT...INSIST ON A NEW/LIKE NEW MATRESS. (a heated air matress is very good as well) I've sampled 5 matress'es while in the hospital and rehab center. The bed was my enemy. Standing the sitting felt great. The surgical soreness, made it very uncomfortable to spend any time on my side or back...thus I could only cat nap so far. but my naps and nights are getting more comforable day by day. After a brutal 1 hour ride on a gurney (on my back) , in a medical transport, I arrived at the rehab facility on my 4th day. I strongly suggest you DON'T go home, humble yourself and get some rehab. It was the best investment I've made.This facility had (2) 1.5 hr sessions a day, where most provide only one. I was pumped up. Just don't sit in the wheelchair do exactly what your told, do a bit more each time and while your back at your room. I watched many of those who complained the PT was not working....they were the same ones who sat and did little. It is hard work...but I figured it was my full time job for the next 6 weeks. By Day 3 at the rehab, I was walking un-assisted laps around the place. I was working the stairs, and parallel bars in no time for strenthening and balance. The numbness is tingling away but bearable. Standing, sitting, and walking FEELS GREAT. Other patients and the facility staff are telling me I'm thier inspiration. Considering how far I've improved...I'm inspiring my own self. I landed home at day 10. I set up my outpatient rehab, and started my routines at home. I had one day where I set back...perhaps from pushing too hard. You do need to seek your level and listen to your body. I AM FEELING FANTASTICALLY GREAT I am so so glad I finally did this! Today I asked my wife to take me to the mall to do some walking, and go puppy shopping; I need a walking buddy! 8} I have to learn not to BLT (Bend Lift Twist) which takes a serious conscious effort, but I'm coming along. There doesn't seem to be too serious of a limitation and will get along great. Be Strong, Feel Great, Push On;Tom


  • That's fantastic.

    Were you able to find a puppy?

    Keep on keeping on!

  • Hey Tom, this is great to hear you are doing so well. Keep up the PT and all the exercises they gave you.
    Like you I went to Rehab and feel very fortunate that I did. I had 2 weeks there with 2 sessions a day though 1 was in the pool. There was no way I could ahve done stuff for myself at home on my own and I'm sure I would be a lot more behind in movement if the PT hadn't pushed me and advised me.

    So keep up the good work and healing
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • advertisement
  • Heading out for my first real world trip to shop rite in a few minutes....and will visit a pet adoption this morning.... woo hoo! I will be sporting a cane and my new 3/4 " in height!

    Thanks for the nice words of encouragement. Bring it on!

  • It sounds like you are doing really, really well! Keep up the good progress.
  • That's great to hear of your progress. I wish you a speedy recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • Congratulations, Tom! Sounds to me that you are doing great. Now as far as that puppy, your walking buddy, do you realize that you have to teach him to pick up his own poo? Remember, no BLT! But otherwise, it will be wonderful for you to have somebody accompany you on your many many walks.

    Keep on getting better,

  • Congratulations, Tom! Sounds to me that you are doing great. Now as far as that puppy, your walking buddy, do you realize that you have to teach him to pick up his own poo? Remember, no BLT! But otherwise, it will be wonderful for you to have somebody accompany you on your many many walks.

    Keep on getting better,

  • So this rehab place is all part of the hospital stay? I've never heard of going into rehab right after surgery, is this new?
  • It is not new.

    Most insurances allow you to transfer to an inpatient rehab facility imeadiately from your hospital stay. (do not go home....they may push you to outpatient rehab instead)

    The hospital case/social worker/manager and your dr can request medical transport to a rehab facility on your 3-4th day in the hospital. Most insurance pays for it...just ask your dr in advance, and talk to the social worker in the hospital.

    It is so worth it. Check facilities in your area...many only have sessions once a day; mine had 2 1.5 hr sessions (3 hours) a day!!. You will see many knee replacements, others with spine issues, and some other sad cases.

    Don't expect your spouse or friends to take care of you for the first week....go to the rehab and let them take care of you 24/7. You will need basic - occupational and Physical therapy...everything from putting your socks on to strenthening your back/stomach.

    You will be surprised how much this will really help.

  • Yes Kin, at rehab BLT was driven into my head.
    A Pooper scooper is another version of my grabber. LOL. :D

    I've thought of that issue as well...may delay the pup a little longer.

This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.