Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.


AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Hello everyone...
I am very frustrated and don't know where to turn. If anyone can help pleae let me know!
Here's the story...I started having pain in May 2008. I started going to a chiropractor which after about 4 weeks he sent me on to a NS. The NS started me on physcial therapy, then sent me on to pain management where I received 3 epidural injections over the next 3 months. After exhausting all of these with no help to my back the NS finally decided that I need to have an L4/5 TLIF. They ran it through insurance before scheduling where insurance denied the claim saying I didn't meet their "criteria" for surgery. The NS appealed this claim and then spoke to insurance doctors and still denied this claim. Yesterday 11/21/08 my NS sent me for another MRI to see if this would help in the appeal.
My NS is very upset that they would question his judgement after being a surgeon for 35 years. Obviously this isn't the first time this has happened but it never seems to make it any easier for him.
I'm in waiting mode to see what the insurance co. says about this 3rd appeal. Has anyone had experience with this if so...who did you contact in order to get something done? I am in SOOO much pain and am needing this ASAP.
Oh, and I forgot to mention...I really think the insurance co. is holding off til the first of the year because we are almost at our "out of pocket" expense cap for the year which means we would pay very minimal for this surgery. So I think the insurance co. is trying to make us hold off til the first of the year ~X(

Help help...anyone?


  • I do see how frustrating it could be to be denied 2 times already. I do feel also they have refused it to not have to pay the cost for it. ( I have worked with insurance comp before) they will try anything and everything not to pay for it. But there are always a way around it. Good luck and I hope you get your surgery you need... Kelli
  • that you are going through this. I would call and ask them what the bleep they want. I can be nasty at times when dealing with pain and getting run around. Do they want a second opinion? Or for you to try another nonsurgical treatment option?

    >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • advertisement
  • Did you speak to a Supervisor? Perhaps the surgery is under another name? Sorry for all the trouble you're going through and hope you get it resolved. Can your PM Dr. and family Dr. sign the need surgery form? They can't turn down so many Drs? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am willing to try anything...even if that means getting rude! }:) ~X(
  • No, Charry I haven't actually contacted the insurance co. myself because the doctor's office said they would take care of it all. But, as of yesterday...the NS said try everything...call the insurance co., talk to my local insurace rep., speak to state represenative that deals with insurance board, he also called the local paper and wants me to do a report outting the Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield for denying this claim which by MRI seems so resonable.
  • advertisement
  • to the insurance company stating that this surgery has been requested this year and so falls under the catagory of this years 'budget'.Also state that you suspect they are putting it off for no other then financial reasons.
    Get a Justice of the Peace to witness and sign the letter before you send it to them registered mail.
    This way when they do finally approve it you have a leg or two to stand on legally.

    Dont give up and it probably is a good idea to get a second opinion as well to back you up.

    Blessings Sara O:)
  • If nothing else works call a lawyer.

  • All I can say is that if they do deny it this year and approve it next year, you have paper work stating that they requested it this years and take them to court and make them cover under the previous years filing information.. That is all I can tell you to do. I am sorry that you are going through this, I know they can be a pain in the butts....
  • Lawyer, Lawyer, Lawyer! Once they see that, you will be surprised how fast things turn around.
  • I was five years fighting the MCO that my employer uses to get my operation. I guess one question is, was this a workers comp injury? or are you going through your primary insurance company? If you are a workers comp injury, you can call your Ombudsman's office. The problem with all insurance companies is they lack any compassion for what you are going through. They are profit oriented. Period.
    If your injury is a Workers comp injury, I would suggest getting a lawyer that specializes in Workers Comp injuries. If yours is a fight with your Primary insurance, request a meeting with the claims rep and find what conditions are needed to be listed in your claim to satisfy their reviewing Doctor. You can do this, do not give up. I felt all through my fight for treatment that all the insurance company wanted is for me to walk away and give up. Do not walk away. best of luck Steve
Sign In or Register to comment.