Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lyrica question?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Pain Medications
I had a medication added and forgot to ask my doctor a very important question. Can anyone tell me how long you have to take it for relief and what I should/could expect? My doctor pounded out my joint pain and now took on my back. I'm on 75mg x 2 and as excited as a child on his 1st day @ school. L/4-S1 problems extreme pain and numbness thighs and feet and right calve. Pretty expensive stuff but if it works hallelujah! Has anyone heard when/if they're coming out with a generic? I'm all giddy and that's good!
advertisement

Comments

• Pregabalin is the generic name for lyrica. At first on lyrica I had a dry mouth, and foot and leg swelling and stiffness. Short term memory loss and feeling tired. Your dose is mild so may not bring on all those symptoms. The symptoms mostly wear off except the weight gain, in a couple of weeks. Lyrica helped my leg sciatica alot.... I hope it helps you also. I'm now on 150 mg 2x a day. I was up to 600 mg day before the epidurals which helped the tingling and numbness immensely like 50%. Keep us posted on your progress. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • He wrote the script and was signed with substitution permitted, so (Par for course) I'm a bit confused. I looked at their web-site but much prefer a patients personal experience with side affects. I'm 200# 6'2" so I don't need the weight gain. Pretty much sedentary now that it's cold. This is day 2 and still constant tingling and numbness. I guess wait and see.

Happy Holidays to all.....hurtzallot.
  • advertisement
  • hi hurtzallot,
    dont dismay give a week or two before you feel the full results............seriously thought i think this is a wonder drug pain ways it has helped me immensley.
    hope you get the relief ASAP.

LOVE P
  • I would definitely give it a couple weeks as suggested above. Once it kicks in you'll definitely know! Plus there's a lot more room for you and your Dr to work with regarding dosage increases so if it doesnt help you might ask for a higher dose. I haven't gained weight from the lyrica so that may be a side effect that not everyone has. I haven't heard of a generic available yet, which is why I get samples from my doc because my insurance doesn't cover it. If it's a worry for you financially, if you haven't already tried it, Neurontin comes in a generic (gabapentin) and that's the same type of drug (for nerve pain) so you might want to ask about that. I tried it but had a horribly bad reaction to it so it's Lyrica or nothing for me when it comes to nerve pain meds. I also take MS Contin ER and Oxycodone, plus ibuprofen daily as well-in my opinion, Lyrica is a Godsend! I think it was about a week for me to notice it working but I'm not 100% sure about that cause it's been awhile.

Good luck to you-I hope it works! Let us know, OK?

Take care of you...
  • DID YOU KNOW THIS MEDICATION IS FOR DIABETS? IT IS FOR NERVE PAIN ENDING. A DOCTOR TRIED TO GIVE IT TO ME I TOLD THEM I DIDN'T WANT THEM AND A FEW MORE CHOICE WORDS.LOL. I HAVE 3 DISC THAT NEEDS TO COME OUT TORN FACETS PLUS ANOTHER BUNCH OF LONG WORDS AND I HAVE TO USE A WALKER TO WALK AND I NEED ANOTHER KNEE REPLACEMENT AND EAT UP WITH ARTHRITIS AND FIBROMYALGIA, SLEEP APENA I COULD GO ON BUT I WOULDN'T EVEN TAKE THE PERSCRIPTION. I HOPE IT DOES HELP YOU BUT I THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT IT WAS JUST IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW. AND IT TAKES I WOULD THINK AROUND 20 TO 30 MIN'S TO START WORKING. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT TURKEYDAY !!! SHARON :H [quo te=hurtzallot]I had a medication added and forgot to ask my doctor a very important question. Can anyone tell me how long you have to take it for relief and what I should/could expect? My doctor pounded out my joint pain and now took on my back. I'm on 75mg x 2 and as excited as a child on his 1st day @ school. L/4-S1 problems extreme pain and numbness thighs and feet and right calve. Pretty expensive stuff but if it works hallelujah! Has anyone heard when/if they're coming out with a generic? I'm all giddy and that's good!
  • advertisement
  • DID YOU KNOW THIS MEDICATION IS FOR DIABETS? IT IS FOR NERVE PAIN ENDING. A DOCTOR TRIED TO GIVE IT TO ME I TOLD THEM I DIDN'T WANT THEM AND A FEW MORE CHOICE WORDS.LOL. I HAVE 3 DISC THAT NEEDS TO COME OUT TORN FACETS PLUS ANOTHER BUNCH OF LONG WORDS AND I HAVE TO USE A WALKER TO WALK AND I NEED ANOTHER KNEE REPLACEMENT AND EAT UP WITH ARTHRITIS AND FIBROMYALGIA, SLEEP APENA I COULD GO ON BUT I WOULDN'T EVEN TAKE THE PERSCRIPTION. I HOPE IT DOES HELP YOU BUT I THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT IT WAS JUST IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW. AND IT TAKES I WOULD THINK AROUND 20 TO 30 MIN'S TO START WORKING. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT TURKEYDAY !!! SHARON :H [quo te=hurtzallot]I had a medication added and forgot to ask my doctor a very important question. Can anyone tell me how long you have to take it for relief and what I should/could expect? My doctor pounded out my joint pain and now took on my back. I'm on 75mg x 2 and as excited as a child on his 1st day @ school. L/4-S1 problems extreme pain and numbness thighs and feet and right calve. Pretty expensive stuff but if it works hallelujah! Has anyone heard when/if they're coming out with a generic? I'm all giddy and that's good!
  • Re Lyrica: A lot of medications are prescribed for different reasons. Another example would be Beta Blocking meds for high blood pressure...it dramatically helps migraine sufferers. I had migraines for decades and when I was put on blood pressure meds, the headaches dissapeared! So...don't be frightened of Lyrica just because it is prescribed for diabetics. Yes, a lot of people have a bad reaction to the drug, but so many people have also been helped! I take the gabapentin and it totally took care of the sciatica, with no bad side effects. Just my thoughts.
  • I am a borderline diabedic, BS level of around 116. (BS= Blood Surgar not Bull-Shit or I'd be off the charts) My Blood Pressure runs a little high also 135/87-77. So by adding up what all of you contributed from personal experience and knowledge it makes perfect sense. Lets hope for the best. What a great site!

hurtzallot
  • Maybe that's why I haven't had any migraines as the Lyrica helps stop them. YAY! and the morphine too I bet. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I love my Lyrica too, I'm 150mg x2 per day. I had a torn and leaking disc L5-S1, the numbness/tingling/electricity feeling in my leg was nearly unbearable and the Lyrica has nearly eliminated it!

It did take about 3 weeks for the levels to build up and level out in your body, it's not an instant fix. In fact when I started I was at 50mg x2 per day for 2 weeks then went to the higher dose. I've only had a couple side effects: first and foremost I have trouble concentrating and sometimes have short-term memory issues. My wife is still trying to get accustomed to this. The other problem, which has resolved itself, was vertigo. I would be sitting and when the vertigo would kick in I would have to hang on to my chair until the ride came to a complete stop. @)

If I remember correctly, the Lyrica patent won't expire until 2011 so no generics :( but I say it's still worth the price.
advertisement