Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

need advice. back pain after sleeping for awhile.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Chronic Pain
I have somewhat of a strange problem I think. I have the usual back problems associated with being in the army, occasionally I'll throw my back out and have to rest for a few days but that doesn’t happen often. My problem is sleeping, when I goto bed my back feels fine but after sleeping for about 3-4 hours I get this pain that feels like its behind my lower ribs near my spine on both sides. Gradually this has gotten worse year after year. A couple years ago I could sleep for about 6 hours and be alittle sore but I could manage to get back to sleep. Now after 3-4 hours the pain is bad enough that I cannot sleep. Throughout the night I switch sleeping positions but nothing works. The only thing that seems to alleviate some of the pain is if I sit cross legged on my bed and lean my upper body forward until my elbows are resting on my legs and that seems to "stretch" out my back, I usually stay like that until my feet start to go numb from sitting on them like that. Also when sleeping on my stomach I usually either have my arms under my stomach or a pillow for support because it feels alittle better when I do that. Sleeping on my back makes the problem worse and I usually switch between my right or left side and bring my knees up alittle and that also stretches out my back alittle but eventually my sides start to hurt to. I’ve taken ibuprofen and flexeril but they have no effect.
Over the years the pain seems to have spread I guess. In the morning when I get up my ribs are sore along with the muscles in-between my shoulder blades and spine. I don’t really understand what could cause these problems. I’m in good shape, 24y/o 6ft 4in tall. I haven’t been to a doctor yet because there are so many different symptoms that I wouldn’t know where to begin. What seems odd to me is I feel fine about an hour or so after I wake up and take a shower and everything. Any advice would be appreciated.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i want to thank you for your service first. =D> second, i would not know where to start either but perhaps looking at the top of the forum page under "Conditions" you could start to get an idea on what you are feeling. your doctor could probably help you as well but i don't know how that works when you are on active duty. please make yourself at home. check out the " Chronic Pain" forum and perhaps you will see some of your symptoms there. all the best. Jenny :)
  • Hi There and welcome!

I know this is gonna sound weird, have you tried sleeping on the floor?

I did it for 6 years, was the only way I got rest and relaxed out my back. I absolutely understad what you describe. Are you under a doctor? Have you had any tests, MRI?

Take Care.
  • advertisement
  • Yeah Ive slept on the floor a couple times before for unrelated reasons and it didn't help any.

no I haven't seen a doctor about this yet. I wouldn't know where to start really.

• :) hi! :H you could always start with your general practitioner and probably get a couple of x-rays done that way. :? i don't think you are ready for a surgeon yet but that is always an option. either an orthopedic or neurosurgeon. you might even speak to a physical therapist about your problem and get some positive feedback from there. :-C don't go around in pain. there could be something as simple as changing your sleep positions to stretching which could help. it doesn't necessarily require a drastic solution. hope this helps you alittle bit! =D> Jenny :)
  • may be causing your problem. I go through a 20 minute ritual every morning just trying to get out of bed and straighten up. Times when I stay in bed too much (from sickness or pain)my facet arthropathy really gets bad. I can lean on my elbows on kitchen counter and get some relief when I have a really bad flare up. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • advertisement
  • I've had this same issue.. for several years!! I don't know what the answer is.. but the muscles in my back get SO stiff after more than 6 hours sleep that if I cough after waking, the pain is excrutiating.

If I sleep less than 6 hrs, I'm a bit stiff, but not too bad.
  • I'm 39, and have had this problem for like 7 years now....I finally got a simmons beauty rest plush pillow top mattress 3 years ago and it has helped significantly. Now I am staying at my boyfriend's house and planning on moving in and we went out and bought a bed with the same name, but not exactly the same bed....tried to but they change the names of the beds, and now I am experiencing this pain again. It totally SUCKS. You want to sleep more but you can't.........I swear its the bed ! My bed at home, the older Simmons is a life saver, I LOVE IT, but my fiance wants us to have a king and my bed at home is a queen. The whole thing for me has been a nightmare and I'm out $1,500 and I don't get hte same quality sleep as I do at home....(oh yoga also helps a lot).
  • I have this prolem too. Sometimes it helps if I sleep face down. Also I know I have been sleeping on a heating pad at night. If those don't seem to work I have also sleep in the recliner. Hopes this helps. Have you seen a doctor yet? Please take care and try to get some rest.
  • I start feeling back pain after 4-5 hours of sleeping. It's getting worse later after that. I tried to sleep on the side with the pillow between legs, the pain is a little bit better only. I tried to sleep on firmer mattress and even on the floor but it seems not helping. After getting out of bed for a while, I feel normal.

I don't feel any pain at all from daily activities.
    I feel totally ok after playing sand volleyball for a couple of hours.

I saw my family doctor and was advised to take advil or tylenol and back exercises. If these don't help then I will have X-ray taken.

• ashrafashraf Posts: 2
    edited 01/08/2015 - 2:52 AM
    Hi every body suffer from that
    pain

Do you have a congenital twisted spinal column ? And Did you
    try to twist your spinal column ?

or

Do you have a normal spinal column ? And you have tried to
    twist your spinal column Strongly to be more flexible?

if this is happen

the solution is that

you have to accept your original spine

try to go back to your congenital design

so

you have to adjust your mattress to fit with your original
    column's design by slight elevate somewhere under your
    back

XXXXXX

Pray for me God bless you all

Ashraf

advertisement