Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

It is official - ALIF fusion!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone :H
I haven't posted here in a little while as my OS was taking a "wait and see" approach with me. I had a visit with him this morning and he said that after 2 lami/disc and no improvement, he is going to schedule the fusion. :SS @)

It was explained to me as an abdominal approach (along with a vascular surgeon)removing the L5 disc, using bone graft (from a bone bank) and then the rods and screws. I am just waiting on the call backs from the doctor's to see how their schedules coordinate and when they are going to do it. :W He said possibly 3-4 day hospital stay.

Sorry if I am making this too long, but I am scared and apprehensive. BUT if this helps the pain in the long run, it will be worth it. If any of you have any pre or post op tips, I will welcome them all :) Thanks, guys!

Maxicat >:D<
advertisement

Comments

• Maxi, did you already have the ALIF? How did that go? I'm scheduled for one on 17 Dec 08 and I'm trying to keep a positive outlook, but I have to tell you, it's a little nerve racking.
  • I had an ALIF/PLIF at L4-L5 on 11/10/2008 with disc replacement and hardewear. I have not had any problems so far. I was out of the hospital the next day. Don't worry too much, be positive it helps.
  • advertisement
  • Glad to hear you are doing so well, Pika! JeepGuy, I have not had the surgery yet...just got word from the doc it is scheduled for December 18th.
  • for you all.
    Maxicat, there is a thread at the top of this forum with an extensive list of things to do and get.
    as I said it is extensive and you wont need most of it but it will give you an idea.
    Do what you can at home to prepare for later, cook and freeze some meals (soups are great if you are in winter) and do a stock up of grocery items that are non-perishable.
    Arrange friends/family to call in on you and help out. MAybe get a roster set up if you are on your own.

Most importantly is the positive attitude!!!!

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Hope things go well with your surgery. We're both set for the same surgery. Should be interesting to compare recovery notes :))(
  • advertisement
  • Yes, Rich...we will definately need to keep in touch and compare notes :) Best of luck with your surgery. ;)
  • Sara,
    Thanks for letting me know about the list of things to get and do to prepare for surgery. It is really helpful. Hope you are feeling well >:D<
  • Pika, Maxicat - how are you both doing now? I'm scheduled for ALIF April 6 of L4-L5 - what can I expect post-op - what can I do before I start PT? When will I get my energy back? Help! Peggy
advertisement