Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I'm back.

Sparky123SSparky123 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
You will never believe what happened, I'm home, but I almost died. @) Yay! @) I guess they had a really hard time getting the breathing tube down my throat and when they finally did my blood pressure and O2 levels went way down, enough to start to call a "code blue". So they took the tube out and everything went back to normal, but my surgeon said he didn't want to try again today because I've already been through a lot. He then canceled the surgery and rescheduled it for Dec. 19th. He thinks I just have a very small airway so the next time I will have to be awake while they do it (not fun) so I can jester to them if something is wrong.

God I'm pissed, but at least I'm not dead. Maybe today just wasn't meant to be the day, just means I'll really be laid up for Christmas, but the doc thinks I should definitely be home before then.

Off to sleep, my throat feels like a ate a handful of razor blades.
advertisement

Comments

• You poor thing! I'm so sorry for your ordeal. But I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

Get some rest. I hope your throat feels better soon!

Caity
  • That's a little upsetting for you. I hope your throat pain is gone by tomorrow. Popsicles or something cold may be soothing. Take care. Have a good rest. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • I am sorry you had to go through this yet you have to do it again, awake! Take Care of yourself and know that that was not the day for you, I believe there was a reason...Cold beverages/popsicles and rest..
  • Popsicles? What is this, the 90s? Go for the ice cream cake!!!! Lol :P

That sucks, but you know... You're right. At least you are alive. Everything happens for a reason, and today was just not your day to have surgery. It wasn't meant to be right then and there. God doesn't want you yet... So, he found a way to keep your butt on this planet until he says otherwise.

I'm sure that's got to be nerve wracking, especially knowing you're going in next time without general anesthesia and are going to have to stay awake through the process. Is there any chance they can give you something that calms you down and makes you sleepy? When I had my son, I was having an anxiety attack during my c-section because of the Spinal, I felt like I couldn't breathe... So they injected something in my IV and it made me like, fall halfway asleep. It has to be safe for surgery, since I had a 10 inch gaping hole and a nice boyfriend standing next to me telling me how he could see my intestines. NIIIIIICE. Lol. I am guessing they will give you some form of sedation... But maybe you can express extra concern to them about that. Do they think it is going to be a very long process? I'm not sure how long minimally invasive surgery takes vs open procedures. My surgery was a one level fusion and it took 6 hours... BUT they also did a radical discectomy, and had to remove fragments of my disc floating around in the back, which required them to move the nerves and everything out of the way, because they reached the BACK of my spine from my stomach... I think that had to take a lot of time, and my surgery was a 360 degree fusion. I am hoping that it won't be a 6 hour surgery for you... That would really be hard to handle awake. I am like, stressing over this for you... And it's not even happening to me. Lol. Let us know what they're going to do regarding that? I am curious to know how they are going to handle it.

I think you'll be out the 23, for some reason. I felt like guessing. Lol. Anyone wanna start a pool? LOL ;) I get dibs on the 23.

I'm sorry you had quite the eventful day... I hope that the next go is what you need, and gets the job done... As painless as possible, and as short a hospital stay as possible. Hopefully you can still enjoy Christmas. Hey, maybe if they give you REALLY good pain meds upon discharge then you will LOOOOVE Christmas this year. Lol. Request them as a Christmas gift. Hehehe.
  • Sorry about that.Like the others mentioned it just wasn't meant to be today.All for the best IMO.

I've had 13 operations and only had general anesthesia for two of them,and only then because they won't let me have local anesthesia for throat surgery.I cannot stand being put to sleep.

They will make sure that you are really comfortable & you will even fall asleep off and on during the procedure believe it or not.Unless you are really freaked out and nervous,in which case they will give more meds in your IV to relax you.

Some of my surgeries took several hours,but I felt no real sense of time,and it seemed as if they were always over quickly.7 of my operations were on bone with drilling,cutting,and hardware installed-but they put a curtain up so that I can't see-and the local anesthesia was always my choice.

Anyway (enough about me-lol-I was trying to give you an idea of general surgery to ease your mind),I'm sorry for your scare today.

Good luck on the 19th :H
  • advertisement
  • but I think Sparky meant the tubing will be done while awake, not the actual surgery. I could be wrong. :)

I hope you are resting comfortably I) and that your throat feels better. :)

Caity
  • hope you're feeling better!!! I'm glad to hear you're ok :-) >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Sorry to hear about what happened today for you, Sparky. I've heard of that situation occurring and wondered if I'd experience it. Before they took me to the OR, the anesthesiologist did a thorough "pipe" inspection . . . said I was good to go. Did yours do that?

Okay . . . I know it's difficult waiting again -- especially for surgery so close to the holiday, but know that we're all here for you.
  • lol,my bad...and I was going on and on... :))(
  • Quote "Maybe today just wasn't meant to be the day"
    Sounds right to me, even though the other wont be plesant at least you wont have that trauma to go through again.
    Sorry thin had to happen to you.
    Ice cream is wonderful. I had the tube in for 24 hrs so my throat was like yours (razorblades). I could only eat ice cream (seemed to coat it a bit) and custard for the first couple of days then mash for the next couple.
    Blessings sara O:)
advertisement