Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

herniated disc at c7

miss grumpymmiss grumpy Posts: 106
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hi iv just seen my neuro sergeon, and on viewing my mri scan he said i have a herniated disc at c7, this is causing pain and numbness in my right arm,and limited movement, i have been in agony since july but he wants me to carry on doing not much for another 3 months befor he decides on surgery in case it gets better. does any one know if this is likely to get better or am i wasting time.


  • It sounds like he's taking conservative measures first and that is common. Maybe he would consider an epidural injection to alleviate the pain temporarily. That's what my doctor did last year when I first herniated L4-S1. I had to go thru PT and I was on Lortab and Soma at the time. Three months later I had a microdiscectomy. Unfortunately it didn't help me and the following year I had a 2 level fusion, which again it seems to not have worked for me. It's been a long, hard road and I am on a lot of medications to get by. I do hope your circumstances turn out different than mine and I wish you a successful recovery.
  • MIss grumpy, First, I wish to Welcome you to the site,,,,from my own experience, my issues never did get better, but we are all diff, and some do get better, guess that why the PT right away, others not. I would suggest a second opinion though from another doc. What are you doing now for pain, are you in PT, and ESI's etc, hopeully you are one that will not need surgery, but if you do, or even don't ,we are all here for ya
  • advertisement
  • hi, at the moment im taking the nerve blocker gabapentine and anti inflamortary diclofenic, i also have physio we re going to start getting my arm moving again, i just want to get back to my jogging, it was mt mental life saver when life gets tough. and its very tough at the moment :''(
  • Hi Grumpy,
    While mine is a little higher c-5-c6 with DDD of c-7, I was told by several doctors that I could keep running, but to control my neck motions. I know what you mean about jogging to release stress and heaven knows you need this more than ever to deal with the pain. I have cut the amount of miles and day I run and that seemed to help. I also have limited how much I carry. I try not to over due with lifting since that make my shoulder/arm pain much worse. I did the PT for 6 months and that really did not work. I just rested it as much as possible and try to relax and running does seem to help.
    I have decide to hold off any surgery until as a last resort. I don't know if it is common, but my friend has surgery about year and half ago and has not been right since and have had several other surgeries to correct things.
    Hope you get some relief and get back to jogging again/ even try walking if you can.
  • I blew out the C-6 in June, lets just say June and July was MiSeRaBlE!!! Ive worked with a Chiro since then and am off my anti inflamitory Arthrotec and doing well. I was told the protiens in the disk fluid cause inflamation to surrounding soft tissue, and eventually the body reabsorbs this fluid, so YES its possible for the symptoms to decrease as mine have. My neck still reminds me that it is not 100% but for now Im feeling fine, no pain, no more numbness, and very faint tingles on occasion. I can and have overdone things causing some aches but some heat and Advil seems to correct that. I wish you well !
  • advertisement
  • hi, im working with a physio at the moment, and he wants me to come off the nerve blockers, im worried about this because at the moment the pain is bearable, i used to do a lot of sports like weight training and swimming, bike riding kick boxing,but every single thing i do seems to set the neck off again. my neuro- surgeon said i have to lead a sedentary life for now, which the physio totally disagrees with. :/
  • IMHO, I would get a second opinion. If you are still having a lot of pain, weakness and numbness, after this long, I think you need to consider taking action. Most neuros do try conservative therapy first before surgery. In my case I tried PT, rest, but not injections, and then had surgery anyway. My surgery on C5-6 was successful, and I was back to work in a month. Just my experience, for what it's worth.
  • hi i made the mistake of going for a little jog on the treadmill, what a mistake! i would love to get back to how i was before things went wrong with my neck, i am seeing a rhumatologist in just over 2 weeks but im not sure if he will be able to help, thanks for al the comments every one seems to need an op eventually im wondering if i will only be better if i have surgery. :/
Sign In or Register to comment.