Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

need to vent

shirleysshirley Posts: 201
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
been to physio again this morn and doc straight after. feel im getting worse not better. asked doc for some pain relief that my boss suggested (he is a pharmacist) after having a lengthy talk about my pain and working. physio is going to refer me back to spine specialist but not until i have finished the course in jan.she thinks he wants to operate. doc refused to give me bu-trans patches as they are opiods. told me that i should change my job :O who would want me with a bad back ? anyway he has put me back on normal tramadol as i was on slow release and was not getting enough pain relief. has also given me amitriptyline starting at 10mg and increasing every 4 days until im on 50mg. how will this affect my driving skills for one and will i be able to do my job ? so fed up of pain every hour of every day. if this combination of pain killers has helped anyone please let me know. or if anyone wants to offer me a job with my bad back please get in touch. sorry about ranting but fed up of going round in circles and getting nowhere. been refused injections by my doc and also pain management he said i dont need it, but hey he is a doc so he must know what hes talking about. wish i could swap bodies for one day with him maybe he would change his mind


  • It sounds like your doctor is taking a conservative avenue in treating your back pain. Is he a primary care doctor? Some doctors will have you do PT and try non narcotic meds first before deciding to prescribe stronger painkillers. Most primary doctors don't prescribe heavy duty narcoticss and mainly do Vicodin and Percocet. They will usually refer you to a pain specialist for stronger meds. I have heard of Fentanyl, which I'm on, but I never heard of Bu-trans patches. Are you in the UK? There are people here that have pain from spondylisthesis, and it would be good to hear what treatment has helped them. I hope you and your doctor can work out a treatment plan that will help you so that you won't have to change jobs. Hang in there and let us know how you are doing. Take care
  • Ok my take on this is go to another Dr. I can say this from experience. I have been all threw that. One Dr. saying one thing and another saying another. If you go to a PM Dr. I would think that he or she would try the injections. I wish you all the luck and yes it stinks to live in this condition we all have. I have my good days pain level 5 and bad days well 10 plus. I am trying to avoid surgery and use up all options to me. I did do the PT and did nothing but make my back worse. Again good luck and hang in their. Glad you vented I do that too :?
  • advertisement
  • Oh forgot to tell you if you are looking for a strong med. some PM Dr's do not give them. So, if you do go to one when you call I would ask if that Dr. does med. mangement. :H
  • Why don't you hang on (January's right around the corner), and go see that spine specialist your physio's suggested? It's a step in the right direction, and they can provide more treatment options for you. When you see the specialist, he will see that you have been thru PT and that you have been on tramadol, and note that you aren't doing so well. All doctors follow a protocol before trying something else. Maybe he can give you a muscle relaxer to help, in addition to the tramadol and the amitriptyline you are on. It takes a combination of medicines to sometimes do the trick.
    I really think seeing a spine specialist will benefit you the most. Maybe he will consider doing injections.Is the spondy causing you leg pain?
    I can understand your not wanting to jump into surgery. There is no 100% guarantee that it will work, but sometimes a condition may call for it. I had a microdiscectomy and six months ago I had to have a TLIF. It's been hard for me and my pain hasn't improved. I'm on Fentanyl, Norco, Zanaflex, Cymbalta, and motrin. Back pain is very frustrating but you need to be persistent and not give up. Take care
  • with Ellin as far as seeking a second opinion. But, I would be careful about asking about med management right up front as it may make you look like a drug seeker. It really is a shame that we sometimes have to suffer like this because of the lack of resposibility of others. However, in my own personal opinion I think that your pain should be managed in whatever it takes between now and January. It is not fair to ask you to go on suffering just in case something in January may help. There are way too many options out there for pain control for it to be even ethical to ask somebody to consider suffering until another doc may be able to help. Control your pain now and if the specialist can help in an alternate way, than great you won't need meds anymore and your issues will be solved. It upsets me to see people needlessly suffer in exruciating pain because a doc is afraid to treat it. There is my rant for the day.
  • advertisement
  • My thought behind this was that when Ellin gets in with a specialist of her choice, that she may be prescribe other meds and perhaps something stronger than tramadol. It depends on the doctor, and there's no telling what he wants prescribe. From my experience, specialists will prescribe something to help while you are having more imaging or injections done. When I was referred to my surgeon, my physiatrist had me on Norco 7.5mg until my appt. Thereafter my surgeon raised it to 10mg while I was sent to have a ct/myeologram and xrays. You can also enlist your family doctor to help you with pain until you see whichever doctor you want. It is true that not all pain docs prescribe opiods, but you can search their webpage and read what treatment they offer.
    Ellin, I really hope you can get better relief soon because it's no fun to be feel miserable. I had retrolisthesis (opposite of spondy) and I know how you feel. Take care
  • for all the replies. i live in the uk and get pain relief from my gp. i have spoken to the spine specialist and he tod me he does not give any pain meds i have to get them from my gp. asked for injections from gp he said it was up to physio and she said no i dont need them and also refused to send me to pain management. the spine doc is the one who does the injections but i cant get to talk to him again until i finish physio.
    i have had this pain since january so it will be a year before i can hopefully see spine doc again and only if physio will refer me back to him. why do we have to suffer for so long and risk losing the job we have worked so hard for and love before THEY decide that something can be done.if it wasnt for the fact that my boss has become a friend in the 8 years we have worked together im sure i would have lost my job a long time ago
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.