Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

pain management

Comments

• I'm glad that many have good PM Dr.s I am so hoping that mine is good. I am terrified of mean Dr.s & can't imagine them not believing. Yes I beleive the trust issues. I need to trust him.
    I want answers to my pain. I want to know why it's not getting better. Why is my arm, fingers & head still numb. Why do I suddenly drop things. Why do I walk into things. I need to trust that he will look out for me & give me the best advice & pain management options whether it be pills, excersise, shots I really don't care as long as something works. I am praying for the best.
    I did have another MRI & the surgeon said that it looked better than the one prior to surgery.Then why still all these problems? I've heard of failed surgery, what exactly does that mean?
    I am having the worst time at work. I spend most of my day at the computer. This is just too unbearable. I don't think I can quit working financially though. Oh how I need this to be over!
    I wish for all of us a most pain free 2009! <:P
  • I'm sorry to hear about your son's accident; I hope he's okay.
    My story is that my PM clinic referred me to my surgeon, and I had a 2 level fusion done on L4-S1. Then when it was evident that I was doing worse, I was told the surgery wasn't a success. Before surgery they say you get better, stay the same, or get worse. These were the odds I was prepared to face, but I had hope that things would work out. My surgeon has an excellent reputation and is well known and respected and I trust in his abilities. But no one can work magic when it comes to back surgery- it's a 50/50 gamble and I'm happy when it goes good for someone. For now I go to PM and they take good care of me.
    Maybe you can call your PCP's office and they can give you enough meds til the 19th. I'm sure they will since you have an appt pending and the circumstances surrounding it.
    Hang in there, and I hope you and your son get to feeling better soon.
  • advertisement
  • I so hear you. When I was sitting in that surgeon's office with my husband, the surgeon painted a very rosy picture. I was so nervous--worried I'd wet myself whenever he got graphic. I'm sure I missed a great deal of what he said necause I was so nervous. He did tell me that if I were to do nothing, I would forever be in pain. What he was offering me was not a guarantee but a chance to get out of pain. I don't think I realized I could be worse. I knew I could be worse in the paralyzed sense but not like I am now. And exactly, how am I worse? I never got my energy back. I can participate in fewer activites and I think my soul has gotten its brains beat out. I'm stiff, rigid. I can't bend so I can't tie my shoes (well I can but it resembles a circus act) I believe my surgeon was truthfull with me but he did sound a little like a salesman when he was writing up the order. Susan
  • My Dr. did give me my medicine to hold me over until I see the PM .
    Son is fine. Thank you for asking. A dent in his truck that wasn't there before though.
    My Surgeon led me to believe that if I did not have the sutrgery I would lose all bladder & bowl control & eventualy a wheelchair. He didn't give me any other option. He did tell me that he could not guarentee my pain free but it wouldn't get worse. He told me over & over that I will be much better than before surgery. I would be back to everything just fine in a few weeks.
    My surgeon is gone now. He has moved back to Hawaii. He was not here for very long. I am going to try & find out why he left.
  • did not deal with long term meds. When we moved, the new neurosurgeon refused to move forward with the former NS's referral until I had gone through the "hoops" of traditional pain management, which I had not had since we previously lived in a rural setting. Good news is I have a wonderful, compassional PM doc. Bad news - I had to endure some bilateral nerve root blocks to comply with their rules.....to finally now be getting the spinal cord stimulator. Between insurance and individual docs "rules and regs", it can really be tiring and painful!

It has been such a blessing to me to have this wonderful doctor. Her own daughter has suffered chronic pain for many years, so she truly understands. I hope you find a wonderful doc as well.

Cheri
  • advertisement
advertisement