Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I was wondering about lifting after fusion

advertisement

Comments

• My restrictions are no lifting more than 10 pounds, no twisting, and no bending until FULLY fused.
  • I did find out - I was so upset, I couldn't remember if they even told me, that my fusion is L-5 to S-1 -
    and I am anxious to have the surgery. Thanks for all of the extra information, Susan
  • advertisement
  • My Dr put mr on liftinh restrictions of nothing heavier than a telephone handset. Also no twisting bending. He gave me permission to bend over and throw out a granade if it came through the livingroom window. Otherwise i DIDNT nwws whT i dropped. Pretty safe bet thats not gonna happen. I refuse to bend or lift or twest. Went through to much to have more problems. Just dropped my mouse. Thank goodness for grabbers
  • Wow ... I just came home from two level (L4 - S1) fustion that was done through the front (ALIF) and posterior instrumentation (Some rods and plates to stabilize inserted in my back). I had two surgeons ... one who did approach to get to spine and the actual neuro surgeon who did all the hardware work on the spine. It was a six hour gazillion dollar surgery. I could not imagine having a second surgery with in a week of that first one. My surgery was on Dec 10. I am doing well but definitely have some pain. ~X( I guess I should expect that.

As for bend, lift, twist ... I dont have really specific restrictions .... the gallon of milk rule and the "dont do stuff that hurts" rule. ;)

Ask lots of questions. I usually bring my husband because I get overwhelmed and forget what to ask.
  • I had ALIF/PLIF. The first surgery (ALIF) was on a Monday and the 2nd (PLIF) on Wed - so only one day in between. My doc said it was so I would not have to be under anesthesia so long at one time. In retrospect, it would have been nice to have it done all at once but...

As for lifting - at 5 months post-op I still have a 10 lb restriction but have a friend who did not have lifting restrictions after 4 months as long as she lifted things correctly. I think it depends much on your body and your surgeon.
  • advertisement
advertisement