Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Stiches or staples

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Sara:

I am from California,USA. I had stitches with my back and colon surgeries.

Ellen
  • sounds yucky! I could feel it coming out as I read it :))(
    Sara O:)
  • advertisement
  • I had 9 staples after my MicroD, the surgeon who did the op didn't put them in as he was running over for his next operation as mine was more complex than first thought. The Doc who was assisting him did the staples and I had them out a week later.

I am a good healer so for me a week was too long and the scar had healed up really well, absorbing about 6 of the staples. The nurse who had to remove them was kind, but there was no two ways about it, those 6 that were stuck really hurt when they came out, I would rate it by far the most painful bit of the whole surgery experience!
  • I'm from the U.S. Massachusetts to be exact. With my Discectomy I had internal dissolvable stitches and dermabond glue. With my fusion I had both staples and stitches. Stitches in the front that were dissolvable, covered with steri-strips, and on my back I had over 20 staples that were covered with dressings in the hospital and came off 5 days post op, the morning after I got home. They were removed after 2 weeks, and I hated them so very much. VERY itchy, very uncomfortable, when I would sweat from wearing my brace, the staples felt so gross. I have frankenstein scars now, though, and I have to admit I love them. I absolutely love scars.
  • You are such a wierdo, and so am I. I think scars are cool too! :)

One Love,

Stephanie
  • advertisement
  • I have NEVER had staples so I have no clue what to expect. Can you guys please pray that my surgeon has a change of heart =)) I requested stitches but they said the staples would work better. For who, them or me????? :S
  • I'm from California. I have had two ACDFs and a posterior decompression and this was done for all of them. I only have two neck surgery scars - the Dr. went in the same place for both ACDFs. I also have a scar above my lip from skin cancer removal and for that I had stitches. I was self conscious about them at first but they have healed well and now I like my scars too. I think they give me character ;))
  • Will try to put in a good word for you :))( so you can have stiches not staples.
    I hope everything goes well for you and I am sure it will
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • It appears people have different reactions to the staples.

In my case, the dressing came off the day after I got home. It looked really ugly at first, but the staples were not itchy at all. It may have helped that I was very thorough about washing the incision area every day in the shower.

Some of the "ugliness" was a touch of dried blood near the incision. Also, I had a small indentation near the top of the incision that was caused by swelling. Everything looks normal now.

I had 20 staples. Removal of 2 or 3 of them was a bit uncomfortable, but overall the experience was not bad.

Since then, the holes on either side of the incision where the staples were inserted have all but disappeared and my scar looks really good (for a scar, that is).

Going in to the surgery I would have preferred stitches, but I trusted my surgeon and everything worked out well.
  • For my ACDF's they used dissolveable stitches and steri strips, but for my Laminectomy they used both dissolveable stitches and 28 staples to keep things together. The staples were removed after 10 days.
    mark
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.