Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What is heat and cold therapy?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:26 AM in Lower Back Pain

Hey friends can someone tell me what is heat and cold therapy. My father is suffering from a severe back pain and is really very depressed due to that. Someone told me to give him the heat and cold therapy which will help him in getting recovered soon from this problem of back pain. I really don’t know what is it and how does it work so please give me your suggestions on it.
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,347
    These are forms of therapy that can help reduce the pain and discomfort someone is suffering. This treatments will NOT correct the problem, but make it more tolerable.

Heat is a series of sessions that use some heat source (heating pad, warmed rice pad, etc) to calm down the pain area. Cold therapy (ice)will numb the area so that you do not feel the pain.

Just remember that both heat and cold therapy will not cure a problem, it just provides some immediate relief
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • As Ron said, heat therapy and cold therapy help with reduction of symptoms, but won't treat the cause of the pain.

There are a number of articles that explain how it works/how to apply heat and cold:
    http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/heat-therapy-cold-therapy

Hope your father feels better soon!
    Stephanie
  • advertisement
  • My back pain is always reduced by taking a hot shower, perhaps temporarily.
  • The heat and cold therapy is used in the cases of back pain problem. I came across this therapy last year when my uncle was recommended for it. We gathered a lot of details from a website for back pain treatment where we found the complete and detailed information about heat and cold therapy. I will suggest you to go through this link and I am sure you will get all the desired answers for your questions.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.