Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Broken 80mg Oxycontin tablets! Help!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:26 AM in Chronic Pain
~X( I recently had my prescription refilled, which are 80mg Oxycontin, and 3 of my pills are broken. I was filling my daily pill reminder box and came across the first one so I turned the bottle upside down and could see all of this white powder and blue bits.
I caled the pharmacy right away and told them about what I had found, they told me to go through all of them and bring in just the pills, and they would replace them. So I did. I came across 3 broken pills, I mean really broken. They are in 2 pieces all the way to 6 pieces. I am afraid to take them because I know that is how people overdose on them, by scratching the protective coating off.
I went to the pharmacy with my pills and spoke to the manager. I told him about the problem. When I told him that I didn't want to take them due to being worried about a possible OD, he asked why I would even think that? I told him, "Won't all of the medication be released at once?" and he said "Yes". He said it wouldn't hurt me and that I am being overly dramatic. I then asked him if the med's would last for 12 hours, if I would have pain relief for 12 hours, he said "No".
Long story short (LOL) he refused to replace my pills and told me that I need to check all of them before I ever leave the counter. How realistic is that? Not very! He said that there was no way 'they' would have given them to me like that. I asked him if he was accusing me of doing it, he said no, but that they didn't do it. All in all he's implying that I did it. This isn't the first run in I've had with this man, he messed up my husbands prescription also and said that was my fault also. It's always my fault, we all know that pharmacies don't make mistakes, right?
Here is my question. What should I do? Do I go ahead and take them? I need my med's and this has really screwed them up. I don't want to OD because of this, is it possible? I've been on Oxy for about 8 years so my tolerence is pretty high but I'm still worried and I trust the judgement from the people on this board more than I do anyone else. Please help! My pain is worse than ever and I can't afford to just toss my pills away.
advertisement

Comments

• Only one pill is broken in half. The other two are completely broken into many pieces. I don't even know which pieces go together. I will have zero protection from the protective coating. Will that make any difference? Will I get high? That's an important question so I will know to stay at home during this and to not do anything but lay on the sofa. I don't want to hurt myself either. Just yesterday I lost my balance, which is often due to my many problems, and almost fell through the glass coffee table. I guess it's time to get rid of that! Scared the jeebers out of me.
  • It's hard to imagine the pharmacist actually counting out pills and putting broken pills into a persons bottle.In all of my life I have never had that happen,nor heard of it happening to a person that I know.

When you called they said to bring them in and they would replace them.I wonder why they changed their mind,but nevertheless I would not ingest them.You could save them and tell your Dr about this situation.Also you mentioned this not being the first time having a 'run in' with this pharmacist-if this is the case I have to wonder why you continue going there.I had an issue one time with a pharmacist,and because I liked the owner and the location I called and had a discussion over the phone-things have been really great ever since.

Nobody here can advise you to take medication that is CR if it is broken,especailly when you don't even know which pieces 'go together'.If your pharmacist can't/won't help you perhaps you should talk to your Dr.?
  • advertisement
  • If you have the extended release version of oxycontin, do not take ANY broken tablets - a much higher amount of drug will go into the bloodstream instead of gradually and it can make you quite sick or worse...if it is plain oxycontin it isn't so much of an issue - other than how did they get broken in the first place?
  • I can easily see how this would happen. They count the pills out very fast and are not looking to see if there are any defects. I figure that these 3 pills were already cracked and when thy went into the bottle they must have fallen apart. I know for a fact that I didn't do it, why would I? This has only caused me problems. As a matter of fact, my sister used to be a pharmacy tech and she told me that this does happen. We all know mistakes are made by pharmacies all of the time. We also used this pharmacy because they are open 24 hours and sometimes late at night is the only time we can pick them up. The rest of the staff is wonderful, just this one pharmicist is a horrible person who is ALWAYS right. What a shame, we will have to change pharmacies, this will present a lot of problems though as this one chain happens to be in almost every town.
  • That's why I'm so worried about them. I've watched too many programs and read too many articles on how this is the exact reason as to why young people OD on them. I plan to call my doctor but he's gone for the next two weeks. I will be calling my insurance company though and writing a letter to the company that I recieved these pills from. That pharmicist is the rudest man on earth! I feel it was very negligent on his part to tell me to take them anyway. He was so condescending to me about my concerns of an overdose, like I'm a stupid chick who doesn't know anything.
    As to how they were broken? I have to assume that they were already cracked when he counted them out and when they went into the bottle, then jiggled around with normal use, like to carry them into the house, they broke all the way. I know I didn't do it, and they weren't dropped or anything like that. I'm sure this wasn't the first time a pill has been broken, as a matter of fact I've recieved broken pills before. They were safe to take though. My prescription of Klonipin usually have about 6 broken pills in every bottle.
    At this point I still have no plans on taking them, way too chicken.
  • advertisement
  • my blod pressure meds (mailed to me) broken before. So, yes I do know that it can happen and please never even consider taking the broken ones! I would definitely file a formal complaint though. And show them to your doc.
    Also, I would check the bottles everytime before leaving the counter or signing for them, no matter how busy they are.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,348
    any circumstances should you "Crush" or take "Crushed" tables of Oxycontin Extended Release.

By doing this you run the risk of have respiratory failure.
    Dealing with chronic pain is hard enough. Using crushed oxycontin, well, you might has well play Russian roulette with a gun that has 5 bullets ready instead of 1
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• My sister had a friend split an 80 with a friend at some party, no alcohol or other drugs present, just what was assumed to be 40 mg eyeballed-Scary--.It got him and was supposedly a big time abuser which from what I have read is not the case.I would consult the pharmacist, it seems really odd one would let a broken pill go through esp. considering the liability.
  • do not take broken pills. it takes a lot of force to break them especially since they are so small. i also have never heard of broken oxy pills and i have been taking them for 10 years. they just don't break. the covering is very hard and it is hard to break. this also sounds weird to me. if you have a problem with pharmacy, call better business bureau and lodge a complaint with gov't that deals with pharmacies. DO NOT TAKE BROKEN PILLS AT ALL , NEVER

jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I can't believe my pharmicist would even suggest that. I found it crazy at the time, but I'm even angrier now. I can't believe he would suggest such a thing to me. I will be filing a formal complaint. My pharmicist treated me like I was acting like a baby because I was scared to take them. His exact qoute "Why do you think they would kill you?". Well duh!, the coating is missing!
    As strange as it may sound to some of you the pills were indeed broken. This is the first time this has ever happened with Oxy, but it's happened to other pills that I've gotten before, much safer ones. I know I didn't do it, it was a brand new prescription and because of this I am now out three pills, they are useless to me.
    With the cold weather and the rain we've been having, plus the fact that our roof had a cave in in the master bedroom (so I've had to move heavy furniture before it was ruined) my pain has been through the roof. Not the best time to lose some of my pills. Oh, and the holidays which are wearing me out. I don't even have my christmas tree up yet because of the pain.
    I appreciate everyones advice, I knew I shouldn't take them but I wanted your opinions to reinforce what I already knew. I can't talk to my doctor right now since he's out of the office for awhile. My pharmicist has really let me down, they were always the ones who I thought would know the most about what they were dispensing, I guess I was wrong.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.