Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Broken 80mg Oxycontin tablets! Help!

advertisement

Comments

• i am just looking at my ocys
    i have 40mg oxycontin they are the 12 hour ones and they are hard and orange and made by NAPP
    also i have the 20mg oxynorm they are like a gel capsule that you could brake in to two pieces and white powder would come out .these are the instant type
    nowhere on my medication does it have the same thing as what you have typed.
    AS FAR AS I KNOW .OXYCONTIN HARD LONG ACTING
    OXYNORM SOFT AND INSTANT ACTING
    ALSO OXYCODONE LIQUID {I DONT TAKE THAT SO CARNT OFFER ANY ADVICE}
  • I realize this thread is old, and if I should refrain from posting to older topics, someone please PM me and make me aware.

That having been said, I just wanted to share some info that I am aware of, and some opinions as well, that may be helpful to anyone reading this thread in the future.

Like many in the thread, I am also a chronic pain patient who has been prescribed narcotic medication, and have also, on occasion been shorted or provided with broken pills. I have friends and family in both the medical and pharmaceutical professions, and have learned that broken pills are more common that most pharmacists like to admit. Pills break during shipping, they break in the pill counter, they sometimes (although more rarely) even ship broken from the factory due to automated production and shipping processes. Although it occurs, it is extremely rare that they are broken and skimmed by dishonest pharmacists or pharmacy techs, even less common in large chain pharmacies where the employees are aware of the very real risk of being caught with closed-circut television surveilance.

Even though there is AMPLE evidence available to pharmacists that these pills DO commonly break, there is often STILL a hassle when you happen to get one of the broken pills in your prescription. There are many factors that I think contribute to this: common stereotypes regarding chronic narcotics users, unrealistic controlled substance policy, and overzealous loss prevention policies (likey due to the tight economy) all likely played a part in what happened to Topfuel.

When coupled with the declining standard of customer service already mentioned by previous posters, I think we are likely to see more of these kinds of problems in the future. Ultimately, what likely happened was a customer service failure, a case where the pharmacy could have assisted the customer but would not, and even if this was not the for Topfuel, I think it is in the majority of cases. In order for there to ever be widespread policy changes, either in the policies and practices which likely contributed or in the standard of customer service, there will have to be enough dissatisfied customers who are willing to take action to see change affected.

For anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation to Topfuel, I offer the following suggestions (most of which have worked for me in the past):

As I am not writing this as a guide on how to scam the system, it should also be noted that if you are attempting to scam the system, some of the steps I will list would be just as much fraud on your part as refusing to provide you with the complete prescription for which you (and/or your insurance company) paid. In most areas, prescription fraud is at least a Class D felony, and carries serious penalties. I am not a lawyer (just a very good negotiator), this does not constitute legal advice, and if you feel you need legal advice, consult a licensed lawyer in your state.

1. First, a few general tips about negotiating with the pharmacy, although they may seem self-evident. Keep good notes. Document the name and position of each person you have spoken with (and witnesses if possible), the times and dates at which you spoke, and the contents of the conversation. Document every refusal and the reasons you were given. It may be difficult, but attempt to retain your composure as much as possible no matter how the situation escalates. According to at least one recent study, pharmacists may tend to be "hyper-aware" of the phenomenon labled "pain medication seeking behavior," a supposed "symptom" of which is increased agitation when faced with refusal. Unfortunately, this means that your natural upset and anger at the situation could be taken as suspicion or "proof" that you are a narcotics abuser.

More specific suggestions for resolving the situation:

2. Always count your pills at the counter before leaving the pharmacy. Whenever possible, do business with a smaller, non-chain pharmacy. They are more likely to the time for reduntant systems to verify that the correct amount of medication is dispensed, and are much more likely to have someone on premisis with the "ultimate authority" to approve your request, rather than putting you off with "I'm not authorized." Consistently doing business with a smaller pharmacy will also allow you to build rapport and trust with employees, and they will be more likely to provide individualized customer care.

3. If you are shorted or given broken pills, return as soon as you notice the problem, and remain poliet in your requests for satisfaction.

For broken pills, request that the pharmacy file a "DEA Form 41" and that replacement for the broken pills be issued. Filing this form legally allows the pharmacy to clear the controlled substance from their stock.

For missng pills, request that the pharmacy inventory their stock in an attempt to account for the missing pills. If no overage is detected in their stock, request that they file a DEA Form 106 and replace the missing pills.

It is somewhat more likely that this request will be refused, since you have no proof, such as the crushed pill parts. This is okay. Make and document the request anyway.

4. Request to speak with whomever is best able to authorize your request. Whenever possible, insist on having your request documented. If the issue is broken pills, I advise stating that you are trying to exchange "defective and potentially dangerous" medication, rather than requesting additional medication to which you would not be entitled. By insisting that the medication is defective, you are invoking your right as a consumer to receive what you have paid for, which is undamaged and above all SAFE medication. Knowingly vending unsafe medications or medications that have been tampered with is illegal, and this wording should later lend further creedence to a fraud claim if necessary.

5. If the person holding the "ultimate authority" at the pharmacy refuses to rectify the situation for you, request the refusal in writing. Attempt to get them to document as much of the conversation you have had with them as possible, including that you requested DEA forms, their refusal, and the reason for it. Also, polietly request corporate contact information and/or contact information for the "district manager" or "area manager," who is in charge of the pharmacy department, and follow up with these contacts.

6. Should you fail to receive satisfaction at the corporate level, inform them of your intention to file a fraud claim both with your insurance company (if you have one) and with the state board of pharmacy, then do so. Do not make any claims toward further action unless you are fully prepared to take that action.

Again, I am not a lawyer, but I am reasonably sure that being billed for prescriptions in which pills are missing or incomplete does constitute fraud and is prosecutable as such.

Truthfully, it has been my experience that few negotiations get this far. Once you have let it be known that you are aware of what is entailed in fulfilling your request, and indicated your persistence in pursuing the matter if your request is not fulfilled, there are few pharmacies that are going to reject that option in favor of the possiblity of a full scale investigation of the matter.

It is as true that the most vocal insistence and vigorous activity aren't going to help you if you don't have a valid claim as it is that even the best stalling tactics and the most fervent hope that you will just shut up and go away aren't going to help them if you persist in insisting on the rights you do have. Just as your butcher cannot sell you spoiled meat, or charge you for 5lbs when you only received 4lbs, and just as your grocery cannot sell you curdled milk or give you 10 eggs when you paid for a dozen, your pharmacist cannot sell you potentially dangerous medication or give you 13 pills when you were prescribed, and paid for, 15.

I hope that this information is helpful to anyone who reads this thread in the future, and once again, if I was remiss in replying to such an old thread, or if any of the information in my post is in violation of the rules of this forum, I hope someone will let me know.

• advertisement
  • You know, I suppose we should check our pain pills before we even leave the counter, but I never have. Not once. I would imagine if there is a mistake in count or a damage to the pill(s) its too late once we have moved away from the counter but I just have never stood there and counted/and or inspected the pills. I suppose I better start.
    I have had run ins with pharmacists too. One time they would not even fill my script for Roxicodone, she told me they did not have any, I asked her to check, she did finally and said they did have it. Laer she admitted to me they tell everyone that they dont have it, until they can verify who we are and that we are not abusers. How can they screen people like that, profile us? If the doc writes a script how can the pharmacist feel qualified enough to judge if need it or not?
  • the coating is not what makes it time released & i agree with the pharmacist they never gave you broken pills & yes a little drama for sure.do you really think you could over dose on your regular dose just because you think they are not time released any more omg lmao!!!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.