Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

weight and spine treatment

Comments

• Hi everyone :H

I am so glad that I found a thread about this issue, finally some people to share my frustration!

I just recently saw an orthopedic surgeon who....was less than a good doctor. Im 5'6 and right now I weigh 180 so im about 50lbs overweight. I brought my 2 old MRI's with me, that show DDD, stenosis and a disc bulge at l5-s1. This doctor looked at my MRI for maybe 1 minute, never examined me physically other than to test my reflexes, and the rest of the time lectured me about my weight. They gave me an xray since my MRI was 3 years old and he told me by the xray he could tell nothing had changed from my MRI. (yeah right)I explained to him that...im 22 now and yeah i know i need to lose weight, im on weight watchers but i cant excercise enough to make a significant impact. When my pain started at 14 i was a size zero, its been the gradual decrease in my mobility that has lead to putting on weight. He told me to give WW a year, and it was no big deal because he had seen worse stenosis in his older patients. :W I ended up getting a new MRI and lots of things have changed...i now have multi-level problems and new problems at L5-S1. Im debating about what to do, I feel like this is malpractice...granted nothing happened to me because of lack of treatment but the only reason i got the MRI was because i said another doctor (well known in the business) wanted to council me privately.

I feel like people who are young or overweight are not treated fairly. I realize my weight doesnt HELP the problem but it didnt cause it. Its incredibly tragic

This discussion has been closed.