Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Warning! Fatal toothache!

advertisement

Comments

• I have always had bad teeth and most all of them have had root canals and crowns. But, since I have been on the opiates I have had horrible issues with my teeth. One of the teeth that already had a root canal had to be removed due to bone loss. Now, I have 2 teeth that need root canals in them. The pain still just comes and goes and I am sure that it is because of the pain meds.
    BTW- A friend of mine ended up in ICU for 2 weeks after getting an infection caused from dental work that he had done. He almost died! So, it is definitely something not to be taken lightly.
  • I believe what I wrote to the fullest extent. I honestly believe that a woman gets better as she gets older. Look at how much more we have to offer, and let's not overlook how beautiful we are once we have reached full maturity. Nowadays 50 is the new 30, and we haven't even come anywhere near that yet. :)
  • advertisement
  • I was so sure that I was going to be admitted that day that I actually took a packed bag with me, a few magazines, panties, (I refuse to go without them in the hospital) hand cream, etc.. Actually, I was in such bad condition that I'm surprised they didn't admit me. I kind of wonder about that now. The doctor was VERY adament that I come back the very next day though. It's really scary to find out just how dangerous this turned out to be. I was pretty clueless before.
    I've wondered what in the heck could possibly have made my teeth go bad after my back was injured, my mom keeps suggesting that it's the pain med's. I've tried to find out about any side effects such as this but have had no luck. I also know that another problem I have is the fact that I grind my teeth 24/7 and that breaks them right off. That's due to the pain I'm always in. I wish you good luck with your root canals Painy, I hope it's smooth sailing for you. I also hope that you're friend is doing fine now.
  • My teeth have been getting lots of cavities since starting on narcotics 2 1/2 years ago. My dentist put me on Biotene, it is a toothpaste for dry mouth that happens when you take pain meds. It also comes in mouthwash and gum. Becasue meds dry out your mouth it leaves bacteria in your mouth which is causing alot of your problems with decay, He also gave me percription for floride to make my teeth enamel harder,. I brush with it last a night and it will harden your enamel.
  • Yep, the meds definitely give me such a dry mouth! I try to keep a piece of sugar free gum handy! Especially at night! Must be sugar free, though, don't need anything else that promotes cavaties!
  • advertisement
  • Gee, I wish I had been told about that by my many dentist over the years. I cartainly could have used it. Since I can't chew gum, my teeth are always having problems, I always keep sugar free hard candy around to pop into my mouth. People have always made fun of me over the years because I take forever to brush my teeth and yet this still happens. I've even had root canals that have gone bad. I've had at least 4 or 5 root canals that have been repeated about 4 times each. Right now I have another root canal that is giving me problems. Once you get a root canal how in the heck can you still get a cavity in there? Talk about expensive! I now am a firm believer that pain med's must be one of the culprits to the bad teeth problem but I also wonder if the there is another cause to go with it? Like maybe our bones aren't as healthy as before? Does anyone have any ideas about this? :?
  • we are just 9 days in to 2009 and already i have chipped a front tooth and just lost one of my gold crowns ..off to the dentist for another 200 pounds!!!
    STRAKER
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.