Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Lower back pain two years after spinal fusion

Comments

• Yes I had spinal fusion done 2 years ago and it was ok for a few months then pain came back 
    I get pain across lower back and in both legs 
    now for last month or so my right leg has started to go totally numb again if I stand to long. Also when I sit on toilet my leg starts to go numb right away. 
    Mall the pains are progressively getting worse 
    I am scheduled to. Have a spinal cord stimulator implanted. Just to try give me some quality of life 
    before my accident I was a union carpenter doing high end wood work.  Then one day it's all over cause of an accident on the job. 
    Being a person who has worked since he was 12 years old and nearly 50 now. To be suddenly totally disabled has ruined my life 
    the depression guilt and anxiety I have regularly has turned me from a very confident robust person who loved his job and his people he worked with into a very depressed person with no confidence anymore I have alienated myself and feel like I'm on the outside looking in the suffering my family has gone through as a result of me no longer being the strong person I was is enormous I'm wracked with guilt and sadness all the time.  It just seems so unfair 
    I can't seem to find my place in the world anymore  I have no purpose all from a little accident. 
    Sorry to ramble but I'm sure a lot of people on here can relate to the emotional toll when your whole identity is taken.  
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 996
    edited 08/23/2016 - 8:06 PM

weehairydug...

Fusion recovery is tough... I've been there and done that... but it sounds like you have some further/new spine issues that haven't been addressed.  Once you are fully fused you should be able to stand and/or sit on the toilet with no issues.  Have you had any kind of recent MRI or other imaging of your back??  What is the thinking or explanation from your doctor for wanting to use a spinal cord stimulator?? 

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • Mikey66MMikey66 Marysville, caPosts: 5
    I had surgery 7-22-16, they fused from t12 to L5.  One year later I was doing good until one day had low back pain told my regular doctor about . He said just try to do more exercise.  But then onenter week later I felt like a pop on the rt side of my shoulder blade on the back. My whole rt side swelled up. I went to er clinic   but was told I just pulled a muscle.  So 6month later my surgeon wanted to put a pain stimulator, at after the test for stimulator he came out and told my girlfriend  that he saw some screws loose on my hardware.  He said I needed a CT scan the next day. After that he said surgery had failed and that one screw was hitting one of my nerves or muscle. He said I would need surgery and would have to fuse me from T4 to ulium.  That it was a big surgery and they still don't know how much damage I have from hardware.  I go back to surgery on 10-12-16, . Has anyone had their hardware failure. 
This discussion has been closed.