Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Back Surgery recovery

Comments

• Take it all, we payed for it anyway, right Angie? :D
  • Yeah, right! NOT!! My doc gave me the same song and dance about being able to do anything I did before after 2 weeks (other than no bending, twisting, or lifting -BLT). I could have driven except I was still taking a lot of pain meds, so didn't take the chance. I know we all heal at different rates, but 2 weeks is ridiculous. These docs know what they are doing when it comes to the surgery part, but from my experience, they don't know diddly about recovery! If it hadn't been for these forums, I would have thought I was a mental case because I wasn't better at 2 weeks. I'm 6 months out from a TLIF/instrumentation, and still have a lot of pain. Yes, the pre-surgery pain was gone, but then you have other issues to deal with. I also had a bone graft from my hip and that alone was very painful.

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded, but I think these docs need to be more realistic when advising their patients on the recovery period necessary.
  • advertisement
  • Take it from a nurse...well not "from a nurse". But ask the nurse. She might even have stuff the other patients did not take. Not even opened that they do have to toss. I am a nurse and I have to say, all the plastic stuff "marked" patient is yours. The OR Blue towels they toss are amazing kitchen towels! Wish I worked just to get those again :-). Other stuff, non-disposable pillows, covers and all dose cost the hospital money and will increase cost in the long run.

I just found out my Axial LIF for Jan 20 total hospital cost is 100 thousand!!! Put the hospital only gets 6 thousand. That is just enought to cover the price of the OR and pay the OR nurse. I am getting side tracked.

Blessings!
    Misty O:)

• Had an L5-S1 fusion with 2 titanium cages on 12/16/08...2 days in hospital. Mine was done through the stomach with a 7-8" cut and 21 staples. On pain I had was with the cut area. I'm back to work today (office). I walk 2 miles a day, pain free with the exception of Ibuprofen. I only did pain meds for 4 days. Good luck, but I was so mental prepared for this and have agreat surgeon in Dr. Sefter out of Baltimore.
  • We are all different and heal at different rates. Plus pain thresholds are very different. Be prepared to go slow. Especially at first. Then you won't be disappointed. I bought a pedometer so I could see how far I was walking. The first few days were really just shuffling and nothing even registered on the pedometer!! I was devastated. But not too long after I was walking more and more and up to 6 miles in a day at 3 weeks post surgery. Good luck.

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1-L5 fusion with bone graft from hip, prolotherapy, accupunture, PT, numerous cortisone shots, numerous rhizotomies.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • advertisement
advertisement