Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Bone graft from hip vs. BMP...please help!!!

advertisement

Comments

• My neuro used cadaver bone for mine since I had so many levels fused at once. I never had a problem with fusing and used the bone growth stimulator for 6 months after surgery.
    I have friends who had their own bone harvested and had a much more painful and difficult recovery than I did.
    Dont know if it is because of that or not but I was happy with my result. Of course you have to trust your surgeon and the method he is choosing for you.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002
  • Hi
    I'm 44 yrs old.I have three children. I was born without a hip socket. They took bone from the tip of my pelvis and did grafting. When I was 10 the leg was an inch shorter then the other leg. They went in with a rod and pins, and re moved them a year later. It seemed to have taken, but some where a long the way I lost it lol. But I'm great. Little arthritis but nothing I can't live with right now. I work out with weights and as long as I keep up with it I'm good. If I don't I feel more pain. I think keeping muscle around it helps a lot. I recently had an extra done and they said they could only tell of surgery because of the thy where the bone grew upward instead of down...where they tried to get the inch back. As for the socket...it's the same as the other one. :o) I like having my own hip. My husband fell two years ago and just had his knee replaced three weeks ago. It was really painful for him. I wish you all the best with recovery!
  • advertisement
  • Hi there,
    The first time I had corrective spinal surgery was for a scoliosis bone fusion when I was 11, nearly 33-years ago. For all these years, the only discomfort I ever had there was nerve damage.

But for the past few months I've started to develop severe pain at the grafting site, it feels like bone grinding on bone, the pain is so intense that I end up either sucking in my breath, or involuntarily crying out loudly.

I wish now that they'd used hardware, rather than a graft, knowing what I know now. Of course, they say that hindsight is 20/20. What we didn't know back then is that I have a degenerative connective tissue disorder, which accounts for the scoliosis and the DDD, and all that has since come to follow.

My 2nd spinal surgery was almost 3-years ago (Two days shy of 30-years to the day of the 1st surgery).
    The hospital staff never got my pain levels under control while I was recovering (it was horrible, the worst pain I ever felt), so I'm still rather traumatized from the whole thing, to the point where I refuse to have any more surgeries, even though I have a herniated disc in my neck.

I'd hoped that the surgery would get me back to being able to walk unaided, I use a cane and a walker. Sadly, that wish didn't come true. What I don't know is if using my walker is helping or hindering me, even though I can't do without it. I dont' know, but I wish I did know what could be done for me now, with this newest pain in a lifetime filled with chronic pain.
  • This post is 5-13... more has come out about infuse and the lack of good "research".. seems it is hard to trust some info about it now. Sorry to say a lot of info from 2002--- 2008 may not be correct. My surgeon told me he no longer uses it. I got it in july of '06 and was promised it had no side effects.. a great deal of the articles were submitted by doctors who may have had a agenda.. $$$$... I have had a terrible time since. any new posts on this matter?
advertisement