Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

has anyone been seen by a physiatrist

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
i am scheduled to meet with a physiatrist on the 16th. it is a great opportunity - he is well liked and very experienced. it was a referral from my pm doc - and i am hoping to make the most of my time with him. Any input of what to expect, if it is different from all the other's ortho, nuero etc.

Though i have had this long standing pain in the middle of my back - i do have problems in my cervical, and recently it feels like the disk issues have progressed worse. It even hurts neck and back when i raise my eyes to view the ceiling. I noticed this while driving....bend forward to change the radio and keep my eyes on the road. I would have to really concentrate on raising my body upright through the pain.

take care all


  • Yes it was the first thing my doc did. I saw a medical one. He was so helpful. Learning to talk to a doc is a lesson I really needed. He helped me understand alot of the terms. It's a good idea to whine to him and not to the specialists. So just relax and tell him what's on your mind. Lois

  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,579
    That is who I generally see. Some refer to them as Pain Management doctors. Here, our psychiatrist provide:

    - Specializing in Acute and Chronic Pain
    - Neurologic and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation
    - Medical Acunpuncture and Sports Medicine
    - Pain Management through medications

    My doctor has coordinated all my activities, including sending me for Spinal Injections, MRI, EMG, Physical and Aqua Therapy and more

    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Last time I saw a physiatrist was for my initial consultation for my lower back pain and sciatica. He took my history and performed an exam. My leg muscles were really tight and I received a cortisone injection in the thigh. I was then sent for an MRI that spotted the herniations on L4-S1. I was promptly set up for an ESI and PT, and was put on Lortab and a muscle relaxer. After my third ESI I was referred to the surgeon and was told I needed surgery.
    I think this appointment will be productive and be a step in the right direction for you.
  • Thanks for all your input. I am even more thankful for my upcoming appt this friday. It seems like it has been forever since I have felt like myself - but now I am hopefull that I am heading in the best direction possible.

    Thanks again
Sign In or Register to comment.