Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How soon post op were you able to get out & about?

Comments

• My husband drove and we went to lunch and back home. It was nice to be out but sitting that amount of time at a restaurant was all I could take. It was uncomfortable as I kept squirming in my seat. It was nice be be out but I was happy to get back to my recliner. I had an easy time of it I hear, shopping in my second week with a driver. I used shopping as a way to get some exercise as well as walking but as Mark says, winter surgery would and does stink! Take it easy and don't do too much. I just slipped on the ice because one of my shoe spikes fell off and I slipped. I caught myself and now I am sore now. Be careful and go at your own pace, each person/surgery is different.
  • I feel like I am behind most of you guys as far as the recovery timeline :(

I think I would be able to do more if I didn't have this tailbone pain & pressure,it really limits me. I know everyone heals at thier own rate but I am usually pretty active & hard to keep still.. I can't imagine going grocery shopping in my second week! :O

Its hard to know when to do more for the sake of excersise,
    I am really trying to listen to my body and slow down when the pain starts, instead of pushing through like I usually do.
    Do you all feel you were pushing through the pain to get your walking in?
  • advertisement
  • I had some pain and discomfort all the time and never felt like I was pushing through - it was just there and if it started getting worse, I just slowed down and maybe cut the walk short.
  • told me I had to be walking 2 miles a day at my 1 month appointment OR don't complain to him if I didn't heal properly. That gave me quite a goal!! I figured out how many laps that was at the "fake" indoor mall or Walmart, and if I could make it very far at lunch when my friends took me, hubby would take me later, usually to Walmart, to finish my 2miles.

I agree, avoid Walmart and busier stores in the busy times - too much stress and chance to get injured. Are there any less busy stores you can go to?

I would push my walker at first, but as I got stronger, I would push a cart (and still do when I go to those stores - for stability/safety and exercise) but once Dh puts too many groceries in it, I get my own empty cart. I don't push too much weight - careful that way.

I was walking literally 2 days after surgery (360 PLIF with rods, screws, cages and BMP at L5-S1) because doc told me to, but I built up really slow. He swore to me that it would keep my muscles from spasming too bad and my nerve from scarring up. Well, my nerves were already damaged, so that never got better. But I am a fusion success story as far as stabilizing my back.

Good luck as you try more and more. I even did laps around my home when there was nothing else.

Take care,

Cheri
  • You are not behind schedule compared to others. Your body has its own schedule for healing. Maybe I took more pain meds than you so I was able to do more initially or maybe another person was in better shape preop than you. It all happens differently. You will meet goals when your body is ready to.

I did not try to push to get my walking in. Never really had a goal I was supposed to meet as far as walking. I was in water PT at 7 or 8 weeks(delayed becuz of postop infection) and found water PT to be so much better and more fun than walking. At least then I got to interact with other people than my poor family that I had driven nuts!

I would stop worrying about miles and just think about whatyou can do that allows for breaks when you need it and makes recovery a little less boring. Your body will come along and I think that mental attitude helps so much.

Take it easy and have fun with whatever you decide to do!
  • advertisement
  • I went to walmart about 2 weeks out with my Mom. I used my walker and we also had a cart. I was dead set on making it to the back of the store to the crafts section to buy some beads to make a necklace. I got STUCK. By the time we got to the back of the store I was sooo sore, and could not IMAGINE walking back to the front of the store, even with the walker. I don't know why we didn't think of getting one of the scooters! Anyway, I just stood there for a few mins and finally made it back to the front of the store!! Anyway, it was a horrible experience and taught me to be more prepared, but in a way it made me feel good too that I was back out and trying to get something I wanted. My friends still laugh at me for "getting stuck in the back of walmart." For awhile after that me and my Mom would go somewhere like a Walgreens or Longs once a day so I could walk around a smaller store.
  • I am 6 weeks out from ALIF L4/L5, L5/S1 and have been going on short trips (once or twice a week) since week 2. Always listen to your body and stop BEFORE you are exhausted. I take pain medicine right before we leave so it does not wear off.
    I am supposed to walk, so I may as well get the shopping done while I am at it. Walking is easier than the rider, as it hurts too bad to sit.
    My problem is everytime I go to Wal-Mart, I catch a cold/flu due to immunity problems from too many steroids. Take anti-bacterial gel and use it often. I have been fighting a fever for a week which makes the pain and weakness worse.
  • I'm already tired of lying in bed and being in the house. I'll get up and walk around the house a few times and stand around a little then stand and eat...then I'm just a little tired. I'm going to try a short grocery store trip next weekend...just a block away with no traffic and no store crowd

hope everyone is doing okay
  • I went shopping and to the mall about a week after my surgery. I'm pretty tough, though.
  • home i started walking back and forth in front of my apt. for about a week then back and forth in front my building, a neighboring kept insisting she walk with me "just in case" so with her help i started walking down the street adding a block at a time.

I pushed myself because i don't like being helpless. :D I was able to go to the hair salon in a month because i needed my hair washed. Man, did that feel good. =D> I was not used to using a cane so i kept tripping over it, just a little.

I also knew that shortly after the back surgery i would need another surgery to remove a large tumor and i needed to be strong enough to handle it.

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
advertisement